To be saddened by 'glamour and bling' poppies?

(124 Posts)
LayMizzRarb Sun 06-Oct-13 11:47:41

Do people actually not understand what they represent? Am I alone in thinking that the poppy is a symbol of respect and remembrance for the hundreds of thousands of people who die in wars, and not as a fashion accessory ?
It's all very well the manufacturers saying they will give an amount of money per diamanté poppy sold to charity, but at the end of the day, they are still making a profit.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 06-Oct-13 12:41:21

Yanbu.

If the RBL are selling them I feel less uncomfortable with it, it's the ones by random designers I really don't like.

It isn't something I would partake in though. I'll wear buy and wear the paper one again as I do every year.

I bought one from the RBL last year - it was £20 and since I usually buy a paper one for £1 I thought it was better.

I don't like waste so that's why I bought it as I can reuse it.

And when I can afford to give to charity, having a reusable poppy won't stop me hmm

samu2 Sun 06-Oct-13 12:44:14

I got the ring!

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 06-Oct-13 12:48:31

I can't even put my finger on why I don't like it.

I think it's the making a fashion accessory out of a symbol of respect and that celebrities can't sacrifice their image for a couple of weeks by wearing a simple paper poppy.

cocoleBOO Sun 06-Oct-13 12:51:27

I wouldn't buy one unless it was from the RBL.

I was brought up in the Army and was fasinated by the large poppy's favoured by older women at Rememberance parades. I was desparate for one hmm.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 06-Oct-13 12:52:50

Our old headteacher used to wear a large poppy. Her husband was something to do with the Legion, I think.

BrokenSunglasses Sun 06-Oct-13 12:53:38

I've just bought the ring! I don't know why I feel guilty when I've just bought something from a charity I support, but I do!

It's not guilt because I won't buy paper ones anymore, because I will and I sell them in our local supermarket every year. There is something that seems wrong about it, but it's hard to identify. Probably that it's a symbol of suffering that has been made into something that is to be enjoyed, it just seems 'off'.

But then I justify it because it's sold by the charity that created the poppy symbol, so I don't know.

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 06-Oct-13 12:59:00

It's a bit different, but reminds me of very over-blinged crucifixes.

Crucifixes have lost their meaning, now. People just throw them on without really thinking about it. Whether you're a christian or not, a man was nailed to and tortured on a cross. Seems a bit off to wear a massive diamond-encrusted one round your neck.

perplexedpirate Sun 06-Oct-13 13:01:25

I've never really thought about crosses that way. You wouldn't wear a diamanté guillotine or thumb screw would you?
Hmm. Interesting.
<patents diamanté thumb screws>

MarmaladeTwatkins Sun 06-Oct-13 13:04:07

Oh, I dunno, Pirate.

I've seen diamond encrusted guns (Rihanna wears one) Doesn't seem that far fetched to diamond encrust a guillotine! grin

PGTip Sun 06-Oct-13 13:05:51

I have a jewelled poppy as do my daughter and my mom. It's not disrespectful as I still donate every year to the Poppy Appeal I just don't have a paper poppy from them. I don't wear it as a fashion statement and have explained the significance of it to my children, they also understand why we continue to donate every year. The poppy is a symbol and wether it is bling or not is irrelevant.

Awks Sun 06-Oct-13 13:09:19

Reusing them isn't good though. The idea is that you buy one (and donate) every year isn't it?

PoppyWearer Sun 06-Oct-13 13:11:13

If you buy the lapel pin with the year on, it's the best of both worlds. Not too bling, but you have to buy a new one each year and they don't crumple like the paper ones.

Job done.

I think I own half the stuff from the Poppy Shop website. blush

perplexedpirate Sun 06-Oct-13 13:11:50

Please form an orderly queue for my diamond encrusted thumb screws (patent pending). smile

LittleMissWise Sun 06-Oct-13 13:12:13

I've got a Poppy ring. I bought it from the RBL a couple of years ago.

I love those diamanté poppy brooches, I might buy one actually. We have been buying the enamel poppy pins for a few years, but we always buy one with the date on so we have to buy them the following year.

Must buy some actually, DH is away I need to send his to him because the paper ones fall off and I am not sure where he'd actually put it on his uniform.

sashh Sun 06-Oct-13 13:13:32

I would like to know where they are made.

Giving profits is one thing but if they are made in say, a factory in China that exploits its workers, I don't want it.

mrsjay Sun 06-Oct-13 13:15:45

you can be respectful and wear a nice broach it still means you are supporting the cause, although hate seeing tv presenters wearing them that seems really false and patronising ,
dd2 has a small pin one she bought the other year it isnt blingy but it is nice and means ordinary ones dont fall off

MrsDavidBowie Sun 06-Oct-13 13:26:55

I sell poppies every year...my dad was in Bomber Command, and afterwards an active member of the British Legion...as kids we would make thousands of poppies.

I donate every year of course, but will be having a bling one this year as well from the BL. Don't see the issue.

Sirzy Sun 06-Oct-13 13:29:20

MrsJay - why is it false and patronising for one group to wear them but not everyone else?

FuckyNell Sun 06-Oct-13 13:31:01

I paid £25 for my poppy. I used to pay 50p a year. What's the big deal? All that crap about 'true meaning'. If I didn't care about the cause I wouldn't have spent £25 bloody quid would I?!

mrsjay Sun 06-Oct-13 13:32:43

It just seems that the TV companies have thought oh it is near poppy day lets get all the presenters etc a poppy ,

gordyslovesheep Sun 06-Oct-13 13:33:29

I don't wear a red poppy but I donate every year - maybe bling poppy wearers still donate without taking a new poppy

I'm not seeing the problem OP

I also think that as long as money is being raised, Poppies are fine to come in different styles.

The good thing to come out if this thread is the advertisement of the RBL online shop, the jute shopping bags are good value.

I don't like the designer clothes for the Breast Cancer Pink campaign that only donate £1, out of an item that costs over £40 and get free advertising, as part of the campaign, in media articles etc.

I would rather buy and keep a Poppy, as a piece of jewellery, them have one fall off on the pavement and see them being walked on, as happens every year. As said, it doesn't stop you donating, last year stickers were being given, as well as Poppies, by some sellers.

Howsuper Sun 06-Oct-13 13:40:46

YABU for using the word 'saddened'. And who cares what the poppies look like as long as they are doing their job?

hiddenhome Sun 06-Oct-13 13:43:45

I think that perhaps the OP is saddened by a symbol that represents the grief and pathos of the aftermath of WWI being turned into a cheap and nasty bling, bling piece of jewellery. People outdoing each other to find better and better ones where just a humble piece of paper would do is also a bit sad.

I suppose the bling, bling ones raise more money, but there is something nice about a simple, humble symbol that renders financial gain to a position of secondary importance.

If money is what is needed, then that's what comes first. Perhaps Rhianna could help design a C String one this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now