to ask what 'processed/pre-made' food other people actually feed their young DC?

(136 Posts)
Thurlow Sun 06-Oct-13 10:50:06

Just curious really. 20mo DC currently still eats well <frantically touches wood and prays this lasts a little longer> and we've been able to keep snacks still as oatcakes, veg sticks, that sort of thing. But I'm a pretty crap cook, so the meals aren't lovingly homemade stews or that. Yesterday she had supermarket filled pasta and sauce, few extra veg packaged food other parents actually do feed their young DC. Especially as often you come across threads where squash/chips/chicken dippers are considered the foods of the devil grin

Off the top of my head, we feed the toddler:
Fish fingers
Baked beans
Pre-filled pasta
Pasta sauces from jars (does that count?)
Very occasional microwave baby ready meal
Fishcakes
Quiche
Processed meats like haslet, cheaper sandwich ham etc

What pre-made or processed food do you feed your DC?

<dons semi-hard hat for 'bad food' flaming...>

Rowanred Mon 07-Oct-13 13:30:11

Yes I think it balances out. I think baked beans are actually quite healthy are they not? I don't buy them because I don't like them!

Shop bought sauces are normally really high in salt- pasta ones are easily replicated in 20 mins with a can of chopped tomatoes and curry based ones you just need a tin of coconut milk with a little curry paste. I make really spicy curry but just put 2 spoons of yogurt in dd's to make it milder!

LordElpuss Mon 07-Oct-13 14:00:49

Ignore 'em, Randall. I have the nicest natured daughter on earth thanks to my superior parenting and she refuses to eat anything other than a very basic, processed diet. I'm not happy about it but doctor has told me not to worry. She is very sporty and I think it will all sort itself out at some point.

JRmumma Mon 07-Oct-13 14:37:25

Just wondering how you define a processed food? You could include almost everything you buy in a supermarket. Someone will come along in a minute and say they wouldn't dream of buying food from a ghastly supermarket though.

Some people's definition of cooking from scratch is a packet of mince plus a jar of pasta sauce is a home made spag bol (and one of my friends even classes a pizza from the chiller rather than the freezer as fresh food!).

Honestly people, lets chill out. Obviously we should be trying to limit salt and sugar intake, and get plenty of fruit and veg into our kids. But other than that, if we do our best and have a relatively good diet ourselves then they will survive!

Chunderella Mon 07-Oct-13 14:46:26

Baked beans have many positives but they do also contain a lot of salt. You can get low salt, but as well as being less tasty I'm not very keen on low salt, low sugar, low fat stuff. Too often the manufacturers just put worse crap in to replace what they take out! But ultimately, children need minimal salt not zero salt, so there's room for baked beans in a healthy diet.

Interested to read the posts from people who have taken the big leap and banned crap from the house entirely. DH and I have been toying with this but we don't think we have the willpower! It's going to become an issue soon though.

LordElpuss Mon 07-Oct-13 14:56:31

Would a life without chocolate, Eve's pudding etc be rather ... meh (for want of a better word)?

SoupDragon Mon 07-Oct-13 15:30:31

obviously you can do the same thing with 2 children and have two different outcomes

And it is "luck" as to what sort of eater you get. Obviously "luck" doesn't exist as an actual thing but as a concept.

MummyPig24 Mon 07-Oct-13 16:13:35

I'm not going to worry about a few processed foods in what is an essentially Healthy diet. It's about balance and being sensible, not being militant and banning all sorts of things.

lifeinthefastlane1 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:41:34

these threads make me lol, I feed my DD food of the devil all the time, yes thats right all the time, I cant cook and shes a faddy eater, if she didnt eat FF, beans, scrambled egg and other convenience food she wouldnt eat at all, BTW I have two grown up children who happily survived my terrible kitchen and convenience foods with no adverse reactions at all! give yourselves a break as long as they are alive, not overweight and functioning fairly well, you're doing ok, its not worth the bloody hassle and stress if its not something you normally do, guess what ? we are having hotdogs for tea grin) (must admit glad DD is now staying school dinners makes me feel less terrible mother re-food lol)

IShallCallYouSquishy Mon 07-Oct-13 17:47:38

DD didn't have beans on toast for dinner. Oh no. Not at all wink

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 07-Oct-13 21:26:03

Lastnight after reading this, mine had spaghetti hoops on toast! grin they were over the moon. They also had cubes of cheese, slices of cucumber and lots of cherry tomatoes, oh and strawberries for pudding. Bad balanced out by good! wink

BlackholesAndRevelations Mon 07-Oct-13 21:26:33

Ahem, wholemeal toast of course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now