busted shower room flooded Tv & Sky box shorted

(15 Posts)
mirtzapine Fri 04-Oct-13 09:01:58

OMG our Aupair has managed to find a way to leave the shower running, so that water goes down the back of the bath and has come through the ceiling poured (its been like this over night) on to the tv an sky box.

I think I'm being pretty reasonable at this moment in time. When I noticed the water coming under the door in her room this morning, and went and checked. There it was pouring down from the ceiling.

F*only knows how much the plumber, electrician and builder are going to cost.

In five years me DW DD1 & 2 have never found a way to leave the shower running in such a way that it floods the room below. The aupair did mention this morning that the tv had stopped working a couple of days ago... Yup TV's & Sky Boxes dont take well to water.

She's taking the dds to school at this moment... interestingly her bags were actually packed when I went to check what the water was about.

I guess she was going to do a bunk, cos of the flooding and saying nothing... Well I've moved the packed bags to the front door, I've had to take a day off work so I'm waiting for her to come back her and get the keys off her.

Its pretty negligent not mentioning a leak this bad, its pretty idiotic sleeping in a room with water pouring down the wall. Accidents are accidents, but leaving them to get worse is the unreasonable bit.

Words do escape me to describe what I think is a pretty foobar situation. Which cant actually be made better without a chunk of cash to solve this problem.

so am I going to be unreasonable to help her leave here quicker.

Presumably it was total stupidity rather than malicious so whilst I can see you want her gone, I wouldn't be too hard on here.

I must admit I am a bit confused on the chronology though. When did she leave the shower running overnight. I thought initially last night but now you say she say the telly has been playing up for a couple of days. Is she trying to cover her tracks and pretend the fact that it is water sodden isn't the reason it is broken?

Are you insured for accidents? Are you on a water meter because that is going to cost you too!?

hard on her.... you can be as hard on 'here' as you like!!

Sparklingbrook Fri 04-Oct-13 09:12:07

I think due to the stupidity bit it would be right that she doesn't work for you any more.

Just let her go asap-no need to rub it in to her.

Tableforfour Fri 04-Oct-13 09:13:20

Presumably you have accidental damage cover on your house insurance? That'll cover it and you will only have to pay the excess. If you aren't insured then I suppose you can use the money you've saved on the premiums over the years. So a lot of hassle but not too much financial outlay.

mirtzapine Fri 04-Oct-13 09:21:37

I'm not really sure of the chronology. Before she left with the children she said that the TV etc has not worked for two days. My Assumption is, is that the first bit of flooding occure when the tv stopped working. I Noticed first thing this morning that the shower was dribbling and turned the taps tighter. She then proceed to have a shower, shortly after.

The tv and the flooding may be unrelated, but as there was a constant pour of water from the ceiling this morning on to it, if it was knackered cos of water two days ago it sure is now.

Its not malicious, somebody would have to be a seriously deranged person to invent that way to do something. Its gross stupidity. Its even grosser stupidity not to say something asap... well in my small world it is.

Water pouring on to tv, packed bags, not saying anything. I don't know...

I'm not really that angry... if she's packed her bags with the intention of doing a runner (btw we did her weekly pay yesterday). Then so be it.

Water and electris don't mix, leaving it to get worse rather than speaking up earlier is not really right... and I do know some people have difficulty 'fessing up to stuff.

Its gonna really cost to get this all sorted out... money we don't actually have. I personally think that if she'd planning on doing a runner than let her... DW is still in shock about the damage and hasn't got angry yet

Hope that makes a bit more sense give this is foo-foobar

mirtzapine Fri 04-Oct-13 09:26:21

Oh f^ no we don't have any insurance at the moment.... aaaaargh!!! I dont want to rub her nose in it that's why I'm saying this here. I don't think I can actually say anything, other than, the damage is done please leave now, dont hang around like a bad smell when me and DW are upset about the damage... she's only go to go to Lewisham where her parents live... So lets cut our losses, not make a bad situation worse with trite explainations. And just get on fixing it.

I get to pick up my repeat anti anxitey prescription today... thats the only positive thing I've got to look forward too.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 04-Oct-13 09:27:22

Where is the shower relative to the TV and her bedroom door? She sleeps in a room directly below it?

It is possible that the TV wasn't working before this happened. Are you saying she's been living in a room with the water pouring down it for two or more days?

That's so weird!

Yeah not saying anything is bad but probably worse to wreck the telly and then keep doing whatever it was that wrecked in the first place.

We had bad water damage from a loft bathroom down to the main bathroom and ended up having to have the ceiling replaced. The lighting dried out surprisingly so maybe given a chance the telly might dry out? <<clutching at straws>>

Are you saying you have no accidental damage insurance on your contents? What a bummer!

mirtzapine Fri 04-Oct-13 09:30:54

Sorry another bit of clarification. The water damage to the ceiling and walls and plugpoint, sort of render the room uninhabitable. As it was her room she actually has sort of cause herself to have to move out whilst it (or until it) can get repaired

mirtzapine Fri 04-Oct-13 09:38:13

Yup triple bummer, I know I'm being a bit flegmatic about this, and probably dogmatic too. No Insurance, foobared aupair bedroom, foobared aupair, foobared childcare now as well. Today has only just started to get hard as F^.

Knacked tv from something else I could live with. Knacked TV with water pouring on to it... causes an assumption. The room is pretty f^ked at this moment in time.

The packed suitcase, sort of indicates to me that she sort of had an inkling that things were a bit f^cked. I'll assume that it all happened between 6am and 7:30 when she went off with the children.

Not mentioning the water pouring on to the tv as she went in and out of her room. That's the kicker for me. I only noticed cos of the water coming out from under the door.

WahIzzit Fri 04-Oct-13 09:44:27

Water damage is awful, we had wet downstairs ceilings other week due to a leak in the bathroom. Luckily we got onto it straight away and it dried out after about a week, the damage was mainly just aesthetic. Could have been much much worse had we been away or ignored it like your strange aupair hmm

Perhaps she was keeping quiet incase you refused to pay her her weekly wage (that you paid yesterday which is why she was hoping to do a runner today).

mirtzapine Fri 04-Oct-13 09:46:44

And... I'm going to stop in a moment cos I'm get the feeling I'll be marked as being unreasonable. She had endeavoured to mop up some of the water as there was a soaked towel on top of the sky box.

Speculating at this point, if I hadden't noticed and blithly gone off to work... when would i have been informed of this? And how worse would it have got?

Meh! I'm gonna take some anti-anxieties now... have a coffee, just ask her to go as soon as she gets back (yes that the unreasonable bit I know). And set to trying to sort out how this can be sorted out...

TwoAndTwoEqualsChaos Fri 04-Oct-13 13:09:23

Au pairs are meant to be like a member of the family, and you'd be annoyed if they didn't mention something like this.

TSSDNCOP Sat 05-Oct-13 12:39:37

I'm writing this in this thread as I don't want to be accused of x-threading but if I am reading this correctly you have no insurance. That's ethically dodgy I think if you have people working in your home. You probably should get that sorted before you re-hire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now