Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Can you suddenly develop an intolerance to certain foods?

(57 Posts)
OrchidLass Fri 04-Oct-13 08:43:34

At the age of 47? I've noticed over the last week or so, if I have bread/toast or cereal with milk for breakfast I'm doubled up in pain and running to the toilet within about 15/20 minutes. I've only just realised its when I have certain things, can you suddenly just become intolerant or am I totally barking up the wrong tree?

SuffolkNWhat Belgium Fri 04-Oct-13 23:45:28

My lactose intolerance started in my late teens and has got worse year after year (now 31) so yes do get yourself checked over.

SuperiorCat Fri 04-Oct-13 23:47:11

DH developed an intolerance to gluten and lactose in his 40s, not made up, full on investigations with gastroscopy and endoscopy to rule out anything more sinister.

Inthequietcoach Sat 05-Oct-13 00:20:10

The other point is that allergies can be aggravated by stress, so if you are under chronic and prolonged stress, it can have quite a pronounced effect on how you react to certain foods.

Thumbwitch Sat 05-Oct-13 06:57:46

ppeatfruit - yes, still following it! It made such a difference to me that I'll never go off it. Although something that previously hadn't caused me bother is now giving me acid so I need to work out what. Since I started with the basics, I've had to lose a few other things along the way, so it's not very surprising if there's another "new" annoyance in there now.

calamitygin Sat 05-Oct-13 07:58:18

yes you can and even allergic. A friend of mine became allergic to nuts and uncooked (but not cooked confused) fruit in her 40s.

ppeatfruit Sat 05-Oct-13 08:37:42

Thumbwitch I don't combine carbs. and protein at the same meal ie. The Hay diet and that removes all the horrible acid problems especially eating fruit on an empty stomach or only with seeds and nuts.

Thumbwitch Sat 05-Oct-13 08:50:22

Thanks ppeat smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now