Pedestrians

(289 Posts)
MardyBra Thu 03-Oct-13 23:29:18

Please do not "nip in front" of my car as I am pulling out of a junction.
Oh, and a quick cheeky cross of the road just as the lights are changing and I've been waiting for ages isn't great either.

I don't want to kill you.

I know I'll be flamed as an imperialist gas-guzzling car driver even though my business couldn't function with a car but some of you have been getting on my tits this week.

geekgal Fri 04-Oct-13 09:34:47

MrsOakenshield FTW! It would be like you as a driver signaling thanks to the opposing traffic when the lights go green, you just don't do it, do you?

gotthemoononastick Fri 04-Oct-13 09:36:16

Also raise my hand to acknowledge,as I am old and often invisible! Thank you costs nothing.

Heynonymouse Fri 04-Oct-13 09:37:47

Shop assistants are legally obliged to give me my change, but I still thank them for doing so. Don't you? So how hard is it to smile or raise a hand when a driver has stopped for you at a pedestrian crossing? It's simple everyday courtesy surely?

BringBackBod Fri 04-Oct-13 09:38:16

Motorists.
Please do not park your car on the pavement, completely blocking it. This forces us onto the road. As this thread has reminded us, roads are dangerous places.

geekgal Fri 04-Oct-13 09:43:01

Sometimes I do wave thanks, if I'm not in a hurry, but I don't have to, so it's not a common courtesy. I don't seem to recall there being an etiquette about it as it's the law to stop. The analogy about the traffic lights and oncoming traffic makes more sense in this instance, you're not face to face, you're a dot to some traffic, it's not the same thing.

Trills Fri 04-Oct-13 09:43:36

Some people drive like twats.
Some people cycle like twats.
Some people walk in a twattish manner.

Some people are twats, the method of transportation simply afford different kinds of opportunities to display that twattishness.

(replace twat with "inconsiderate and potentially dangerous" if you like)

MadeOfStarDust Fri 04-Oct-13 09:43:54

oh and drivers -

corners and junctions near schools are not "magic" ones where the rules of the road do not apply - you do not park ON them because it makes it UNSAFE - even for YOUR children..... drive a bit down the road and walk.... BE a pedestrian once in a while....

geekgal Fri 04-Oct-13 09:44:37

Cars on the pavement, that KILLS me!! Especially when I've got my pram and I have to shove it out into the road, makes me ragey!!!!

Trills Fri 04-Oct-13 09:44:46

Pedestrians piss me off when I am a pedestrian too.

People who rush through tube stations, cutting you up, and then don't walk up the escalators. You clearly weren't in that much of a rush, were you?

MrsWickens Fri 04-Oct-13 09:45:02

I always thank people who stop for me to cross at a pedestrian crossing. I raise my hand in thanks for drivers who have waited for me to come through when there is only room for one car because cars are parked on their side of the road (even though that is a highway code rule too).

Same as I thank the shop assistant for serving me, the waitress for bringing me my food, the barman for making my drink. I don't think they expect thanks but I'm showing my appreciation so say thank you.

AmberLeaf Fri 04-Oct-13 09:45:57

Shop assistants are legally obliged to give me my change

You don't have to take lessons, learn a code of conduct and pass a test to be a sales assistant.

Drivers do yet still seem to be unaware of the actual rules.

RobinSparkles Fri 04-Oct-13 09:46:08

Dear driver,

You see me at the side of the road with tantruming toddler and shopping, trying to cross. It was nice of you to stop and let me go but please don't tut and shake your head at me for not crossing quickly enough. DD is two and can't rush across and I don't want her to trip in the road. If you don't have time to wait then don't fucking stop in the first place! I'm happy to wait, in fact I'd rather wait until the road is clear.

Aaaand breath.

In fact I really hate it when you're not at a crossing and a driver stops to let you cross on a main road. You feel obliged to cross because they've stopped but you feel like you're holding the road up while you check that there's nothing on the other side!

AmberLeaf Fri 04-Oct-13 09:47:09

shop assistants and waiters are serving you, road users aren't

nickelbabe Fri 04-Oct-13 09:47:25

because of the above things and more

it's the driver's obligation to stop when there is a pedestrian.
the only difference between pelican/toucan crossings and zebra crossings is the green man and the red light for vehicles.

you treat a zebra crossing in the same way as a pelican/toucan crossing except you don't press a button.

yes, it would be nice for drivers to get a wave of thanks, but it's not obligatory so stop being selfish and just carry on driving.
the world does not owe you a favour just because you didn't break the law (the Highway Code is LAW)

BadSeedsAddict Fri 04-Oct-13 09:47:31

Dear cyclists,

When going round a corner on a steep hill, could you please refrain from riding two or even three abreast as I can't actually see that you are there until I am right behind you. Also, could you please use signals when going around a parked car very slowly up another steep hill, as I have no bloody idea that you are going to randomly continue across the road to the right, and go onto the pavement.

Cheers now.

Trills my SIL is one of 'those' people, she notched it up a level though by sticking her elbows out whilst she shoves past.

Dear motorist,

I can see that my behaviour as a pedestrian or cyclists has irritated you. Good. I hope it ruined your day. Now go away and learn some tolerance for other road users; you might find that your temper will improve, and you might also find yourself less likely to cause an accident while tantrumming.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 04-Oct-13 09:51:20

Dear pedestrians strolling along in the middle of the road in the Regent Street/Piccadilly/Haymarket part of central London where I was last Thursday evening. It's the congestion charge zone. It's not pedestrianised!

FunnyRunner Fri 04-Oct-13 09:51:36

I always wave and acknowledge - which is why I get the rage when other people don't grin Ditto when I let some fucker in at the lane merge and they don't acknowledge. Ignorant tools. And don't get me started on non-indicators.

Driving puts my BP up above all things blush

CatAmongThePigeons Fri 04-Oct-13 09:53:57

To all humans, those vehicles with blue lights and sirens flashing are not there for you to play chicken. The amount of numpties either on foot or in vehicles who do not know this is boggling.

Also drivers pull over to the LEFT and STOP when it is safe to do so and away from junctions and crossings.

I regularly get my ear chewed about these things and it's nothing to do with me.

PatPig Fri 04-Oct-13 09:54:05

Dear motorists, oh enlightened and superior ones,

When I am crossing the road that you have turned into, I have right of way, please do not attempt to run me over.

TIA.

CatAmongThePigeons Fri 04-Oct-13 09:54:51

Oooh indicators are quite useful, if I can't see it as a pedestrian I don't know you're turning! [rage]

MadeOfStarDust Fri 04-Oct-13 09:55:39

p.s. the Highway Code is not LAW - there is a clue in the name......

Tiredmumno1 Fri 04-Oct-13 10:00:07

I am a pedestrian that actually gets annoyed with other pedestrians grin I always stop and move out of the way so people can get past, I barely ever get a thanks.

I never push my buggy in the road, I step out first to have a look.

I always thank drivers for stopping at zebra crossings, and if drivers stop and let me across when not at a crossing.

All I ask in return, as someone else has already mentioned, the parking on the pavements is really annoying, especially if I can't get the buggy down. It's dangerous and winds me right up, pavements are for pedestrians smile

Oh yes and please use your indicators smile

comingalongnicely Fri 04-Oct-13 10:01:34

I always wave "thanks" when someone stops at a Zebra Crossing.

I hate the people that cross the road and head straight towards your side with the aim of slipping behind you as you pass.

Once (years ago) I braked so the bloke walked into the side of my motorbike - kept me chuckling for miles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now