Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

aibu tea bag and milk related

(31 Posts)
monkeysox Thu 03-Oct-13 22:35:46

When (if) my dh makes a cuppa he occasionally puts the milk in while the tea bag is still in the cup.

He claims there is no difference but I know I can taste a difference and it is dirty and wrong!

I think the bag and the milk should never meet.

In cup bag water squeeze remove add bit of milk.

In pot. Bags and water in pot brew for few mins bit of milk in cup ready or tiny bit in cup after tea poured.

Aibu?

bundaberg Thu 03-Oct-13 22:36:55

no yanbu.

PresidentServalan Thu 03-Oct-13 22:37:13

YANBU! If you put the milk in at the same time the tea doesn't brew properly! I think you need to LTB! grin

ThedementedPenguin Thu 03-Oct-13 22:37:33

YANBU.

Your Dh is wrong.

Stravy Thu 03-Oct-13 22:38:26

I witnessed a friend pouring milk onto a teabag and then topping it up with water. Senseless.

DramaAlpaca Thu 03-Oct-13 22:39:49

YADefinitelyNBU

EST0106 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:40:45

Someone I know does it in this order: tea bag, milk, water. That is wrong, wrong, wrong!

Spaulding Thu 03-Oct-13 22:41:40

I always pour milk first, THEN remove the teabag blush

I stir while the teabag is in, add a teeny bit of milk, the squeeze all life out of the teabag to get the right shade of tea.

monkeysox Thu 03-Oct-13 22:41:41

Lol president that was my thinking harsh but fair!

getdownshep Thu 03-Oct-13 22:42:15

I'm with your dh on this one!
Tea bag, water, milk,all together.
Fish the bag out, job donegrin

PresidentServalan Thu 03-Oct-13 22:43:01

monkeysox grin

DisappointedHorse Thu 03-Oct-13 22:43:05

YANBU! It's a travesty.

foslady Thu 03-Oct-13 22:43:39

Sorry - but this just made me think of this!!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtK_vfp8po8

McRoo Thu 03-Oct-13 22:43:41

Yanbu

5madthings Thu 03-Oct-13 22:44:32

Teabag, water, milk, stir and squish teabag to get proper builders tea, remove teabag, add sugar and stir. grin

foslady Thu 03-Oct-13 22:44:32

Oops - sorry, forgot, bad language warning blush

YABU. Milk and tea bag first, then water. My tea was revolutionised when I was taught this method by my granny on her deathbed etc etc. Go on, be a devil and try it!

The milk in the cup first is the key to Good Tea.

AndiPandi Thu 03-Oct-13 22:45:08

Pm so my DH is going to think I wrote this OP! He was even trying to teach DS to do it that way the other day (DS has a tendency to make tea too weak so DH thinks that wY he will see the colour of the tea better before removing the tea bag) but I heard DS say "Nooooo mum will go mad if I put milk in with the tea bag". Good boy!

Scholes34 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:45:09

Hard water area here. If you don't put the milk in before removing the bag, you get a horrible scum on top of the tea.

Not a problem if you drink your tea black, though, as I do.

DameDeepRedBetty Thu 03-Oct-13 22:47:57

Any fule kno that the water has to be BOILING when it contacts the tea. Therefore placing milk in receptacle before boiling water is added means the tea will not brew properly and will thus be manky and horrid.

The correct method is:-

Put kettle to boil.

Rinse the teapot in the hottest water you can get at.

Place bags of tea in pot. One per person and one to spare. Used to use scoops of loose tea but life became too short for cleaning out drains.

Pour BOILING water into teapot. Swirl gently and ignore for five mins.

Sort out jug milk, bowl sugar, lots of mugs and a pile of spoons. Put in front of assorted relatives.

Bring pot in and leave them to it.

Calloh Thu 03-Oct-13 22:49:11

Fos that's brilliant!!! grin

PeppiNephrine Thu 03-Oct-13 22:50:24

You're both wrong. Your 2 mistakes are a) putting milk in tea and b)taking the bag out at all. The bag goes in the bin after drinking all the tea.

5Foot5 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:50:55

YA all BU.
The drink you are talking about is tea with milk. A disgusting drink.
Proper tea is just tea and all these milk issues are irrelevant.

It bemuses me that when you have coffee people tend to ask how you want it, black or white. Yet really the addition of milk to coffee doesn't change it that much. Whereas adding milk to tea changes it into something else entirely.

susiedaisy Thu 03-Oct-13 22:55:29

Fos that's so funny

Op yanbu

Tea bag water then milk!!

SHarri13 Thu 03-Oct-13 22:55:53

YANBU, wrong on all levels! I also, from experience, think adding sugar before the tea bag has brewed hinders the strength of the tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now