Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask how people who are anti-immigration feel when they hear about migrant boating disasters?

(102 Posts)
alma123 Thu 03-Oct-13 21:52:24

Question sums it up really.

alma123 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:58:30

Pope Francis, visiting Assisi, described Friday as "a day of tears" for the victims and condemned a "savage world" that ignores the plight of "people who have to flee poverty and hunger".

That sums up my thoughts on this matter

Mimishimi Fri 04-Oct-13 23:10:08

The loss of life is very sad. I'm not necessarily anti-immigration but I am against any sort of immigration which would encourage the people-smuggling trade, especially if they are coming from a country which is not actively trying to exterminate or prevent those people from leaving in order to kill more of them. It's not illegal to seek asylum but I do see the need for greater scrutiny of those claims. It's not enough that they are poor in their own country, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now