To think kinder are really sexist?

(88 Posts)
DSM Thu 03-Oct-13 20:00:21

Kinder eggs have launched new eggs - one with a pink topped wrapped and one blue.

Pink one contains dolls, blue ones cars.

How are they even allowed this?!

ridiculoussingle Sat 05-Oct-13 10:21:20

I'm really disappointed. Ds like the little animals you get in the eggs, but he wouldn't be seen dead buying something pink. He doesn't like the cars as they don't work properly. Guess we'll have to not buy them unless there's an alternative colour. Kinder, you just lost yourself a customer.....

kali110 Sat 05-Oct-13 10:22:34

Alison we got those too

moldingsunbeams Sun 06-Oct-13 08:24:19

Are girls instinctly drawn to pink or is it more they are conditioned to like pink by those around them.

We just found loads of old photos of dd 5 and under, she has pink on in only a couple photo when she is a baby and can't chose.

She loved Thomas Tank and Bob the Builder so chose those clothes, most photos seem to be digging through mud, running through forests in most pictures in dark jeans , blue wellies and purple tops.

I'm thinking of her wardrobe at home now and still can't think of any pink hardly. Lots of blue, green and purple.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 06-Oct-13 08:39:47

My DS used to love the colour pink, until he went to school and was told by other children pink was for girls.

Normally I would be angry over this, but as my DC have gotten older anything to make my life easier is welcomed.

Smoorikins Sun 06-Oct-13 08:45:27

I understand why people argue that it is gender sterotyping. But how is it sexist?

I love the fact it is regarded as regressing too. The pink for girls/blue for boys is quite a modern invention - about the time of the second world war. Before then, despite a perception that pink was for boys and blue was for girls, evidence suggests that any colour was suitable for any child. Boys and girls both wore dresses in childhood.

Colour coding isn't an issue IMO. Yes, they have chosen 'typical' colours due to the relatively modern tradition of allocating colour to gender, but so what? If your daughter wants cars, buy her a blue one. If your son wants dolls, buy him a pink one. Or buy one of each and swap the wrappers.

Sexism is a real issue that causes real problems and divides. This? This is just chocolate and toys. And if you as a parent want to get het up about the pink for girls/blue for boys thing - well surely you are just as guilty, if not more so, for perpetuating it than the companies that provide the goods. If you were to buy your girl blue and your son pink you would be making a bigger statement.

kali110 Sun 06-Oct-13 11:15:09

I hated pink as a child def not drawn to it.

Val007 Sun 06-Oct-13 11:20:44

It's a pity boy has a penis and girl has a vagina. I wonder how we can make these equal... Why don't we take these off and implant everybody with a peni-gina ;-). No.more.bloody.inequality. Hahahahahaaaaaa

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Oct-13 11:22:42

grin Val.

HazleNutt Sun 06-Oct-13 11:49:02

I didn't know you needed a penis to play with cars. Learning something every day.

quoteunquote Sun 06-Oct-13 14:08:03

How pathetic of kinder, all my children boys and girls, get fed up with having the gender stuff pushed down their throats, they are really good at spotting sexist crap.

BlueStones Sun 06-Oct-13 17:24:50

"It's you doing the stereotyping" ... "Haven't you got anything else to worry about" ... "Does it actually SAY girl/boy" .... it's like Super Denial Bingo here today. grin

And Ponyo, evolutionary psychology was laughed out of the room some years ago now.

Rhino71 Sun 06-Oct-13 17:47:33

I have 6 yr old B/G twins who love the new blue/ pink wrapping... Saves me loads of hassle. 66% in favour as well, big majority.

kali110 Mon 07-Oct-13 20:21:05

Think the bigger deal you make it then more impression it has on children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now