To post this on someones FB...?

(39 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Thu 03-Oct-13 18:13:16

Its too late as I've already done it blush but I want to know if IWBU.

FB friend is a woman who I haven't seen for ages but it would be awkward to delete her as we have mutual friends. She is very outspoken against vaccinations, breastfeeding (I'm very pro breast-feeding and fed DD1 but couldn't feed my DTs and she was very judgemental about it to my face). She is also very anti any form of intervention in labour and was very hmm about the fact that I had my DTs by elective c section.

Anyway, she posts multiple posts a day ranting about these issues and today she posted an article on home-birthing that she had found. She commented "Great article, I wish all those closed minded people who don't agree with home birthing would read this and realise that we can each make up our own minds about what is best for our bodies and babies".

I commented "nice article (it was very informative about home births) and I couldn't agree more that people need to respect each other's decisions when it comes to child birth. Pain relief or no pain-relief, intervention or no intervention, we are all individuals and free to make the decisions that we think are best and those decisions should be respected."

She hasn't replied. It just annoys me that she is so condemning and critical of choices that she doesn't agree with such as hospital births and medications but somehow expects her choices to be respected.

Maybe I'm a misery but it seems to hypocritical.

MrsWolowitz Thu 03-Oct-13 18:14:27

*sorry - I meant she is very outspoken against not breastfeeding. Think "formula is poison" type stuff. Not just generally pro-BF but militant and confrontational about it.

Some people are just self righteous..YANBU

YANBU. Why don't you hide her posts?

OvaryAction Thu 03-Oct-13 18:17:46

Your post was non confrontational, well reasoned and got your point across. Good for you.

deepfriedsage Thu 03-Oct-13 18:18:22

I would have been tempted too. Best not to get drawn in to a windup merchant.

MrsWolowitz Thu 03-Oct-13 18:18:44

Why don't you hide her posts?

Will she know I've done this? If not, how can I do it?

That would be fabulous (and my blood pressure may drop too)!

WowOoo Thu 03-Oct-13 18:19:02

I'd be tempted to 'hide' everything that she writes.
I know someone just like her!

womma Thu 03-Oct-13 18:19:13

You forgot to tell her to eff off though!

WowOoo Thu 03-Oct-13 18:20:04

Hover around to the right and press hide.

Not deleting, just ignoring!

flipchart Thu 03-Oct-13 18:20:49

I couldn't be arsed. I would have just ignored and hide her posts tbh.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 03-Oct-13 18:21:17

Are you sure she doesn't hack off these mutual friends as much as she does you? For all you know everyone is only staying mates with the ridiculous bullying woman for the same reasons as you. If you don't like her, just get rid....

If you look near her posts there is an arrow, pointing downwards, click on it a drop down menu appears, click on I don't want to see this, it will then hide that post and give you options to hide all other posts from her, she won't know that you have done it.

YoureBeingADick Thu 03-Oct-13 18:22:00

Stop seeking validation in MN! If you felt the need to write it then write it- no-one here can tell you if you were right or wrong as it is your opinion and your call only whether you voice it or not. Own that decision and stand by it.

Psychobubble1 Thu 03-Oct-13 18:22:52

YANBU. I think your response was perfectly worded. It may be interesting for you to see how many of her 'friends' like your post. She has probably been driving a good few of them up the wall with her attitude for a while now.

flippinada Thu 03-Oct-13 18:23:45

I think your post was very restrained in the circumstances. Nothing to be ashamed of there. But yes, do as others have suggested and hide posts.

flippinada Thu 03-Oct-13 18:25:38

ROFL. If people didn't post on MN for validation the site would rapidly grind to halt.

MrsWolowitz Thu 03-Oct-13 18:46:00

Thanks for the replies.

Yourebeingadick um, you're being a dick.

This is AIBU. If people didn't post on here to ask if they were/are being unreasonable then it wouldn't exist. Asking if you were being unreasonable is kind of the point of Am I Being Unreasonable. confused

womma Thu 03-Oct-13 18:46:38

Definitely hide her, she's an FB/child rearing bore

MrsWolowitz Thu 03-Oct-13 18:46:55

Should have put a grin after saying "you're being a dick"!

NoIHaventHadTheBabyYet Thu 03-Oct-13 18:51:19

I am pro home birth BUT I would never judge someone having a csection for twins and choosing/being unable to breast feed.
Do these people who judge so harshly about things like this never end up in the same situation? - it never seems like it?!

SybilRamkin Thu 03-Oct-13 18:54:46

Yourebeingadick um, you're being a dick.

grin grin That made me chuckle!

Balaboosta Thu 03-Oct-13 18:57:01

A good answer. Now unfriend. Not awkward. Just life.

gamerchick Thu 03-Oct-13 18:58:23

Just hide her.. its easy to do and you'll not see anything she posts.

I've got so many people on hide I wonder why I use Facebook. The latest is a tiresum stream of meat is murder... last night was snapping point.

Hide hide hide.

I'm all for being passionate but constant opinions and strong opinions at that makes eyeballs plink out of your head eventually.

fairy1303 Thu 03-Oct-13 18:59:40

My SIL is like this! When she heard I'd stopped BFing at 4 weeks (drove me a bit doolally) she told me it was like filling DSs tummy with cement! CEMENT!

She is a staunch advocate of the continuum concept and thinks any baby put down at all or not co-sleeping will have emotional issues.

Fine if that's how you feel but don't judge me for my choices! bitter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now