AIBU to think this was worst dinner guest ever

(227 Posts)
AlleyAlleyO Thu 03-Oct-13 16:42:59

DP's friend C came round last night for dinner, with his new girlfriend, F. We have only met her briefly, in the pub.

We invited them over last night, I did a slow-cooked pork and apple thing, with blackberry tart and whipped cream for dessert.

Initially I'd done the whole 'we're having this for dinner, hope that's OK' and C had gone 'ooh lovely', no objections from F.

When I served dinner, she just sort of looked at her plate and said 'actually, I'm a bit fussy. I'll have a bit of the sauce though, and a slice of bread to dip in'.

Cue apologies from me, are you sure that's all you'll eat etc. She maintained it was fine, she'd just have a bit of bread. I was pissed off, but whatever.

I brought her the bread and continued my own dinner. Two minutes later, F asks if there is any butter as she now doesn't want to dip the bread in sauce, she just wants bread and butter.

I go and get her the butter. She eats bread and butter.

Long story short (C looking embarrassed, DP shocked, me fuming) when dessert comes out, she seems pleased and asks what kind of tart it is. i say blackberry. She says she's sorry, but she doesn't eat anything picked from the wild.

I ask her does can I get her anything else, she ends up eating mini jammie dodgers from the biscuit barrel. They leave soon after.

I am still not over the shock and have told DP she's never coming round for dinner again- or if she does, I'm not counting her in grin

thehorridestmumintheworld Thu 03-Oct-13 16:45:50

Lol next time invite me instead. At least she is cheap to feed if you do invite her again.

Chusband Thu 03-Oct-13 16:45:51

I feel your pain but your post did make me laugh. She's a knob - try and see the funny side!

looseleaf Thu 03-Oct-13 16:46:44

I don't know, I'd have found this annoying too but on the grand scheme of things have decided we're all different and not to get too het up if someone is quirky. It'd be maddening in say a flat mate though. Did you like her otherwise?

YouTheCat Thu 03-Oct-13 16:47:36

Bloody hell! Is she 4? grin

At least you now have a 'worst dinner party' story for subsequent dinner parties.

ScottishDiblet Thu 03-Oct-13 16:47:42

Oh my god she was clearly a maniac! She doesn't eat anything picked from the wild?!! YANBU. This has really tickled me! Thank you. I was once present at a dinner when someone confessed to not eating, fish or potatoes (it was fish pie for din) or greens so he ended up with beans on toast!

BreeWannabe Thu 03-Oct-13 16:48:05

YANBU. How shockingly rude, ungracious and ill-mannered!

Maggietess Thu 03-Oct-13 16:48:16

Yadnbu! What a rude princess!
Why did she accept a fricking "dinner" invitation if she's such an oddball!
Never have the woman again and hope that it showed C what an idiot she is and he gets rid!

christinarossetti Thu 03-Oct-13 16:48:30

I wonder if she has an eating disorder?

Anyway, inviting her round for meals definitely not playing to her strengths for future reference.

DidoTheDodo Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:08

I suspect she may be your friends ex gf before the day is out.

Your menu sounds lovely.

MagzFarqharson Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:12

How old was she, OP? Presumably more than 6?

Chusband Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:25

scottish who doesn't eat potatoes?! What's offensive about a potato? How do you even get throughife not eating potatoes?!

YouTheCat Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:34

It is shockingly bad manners. Unless someone has a genuine allergy, you eat what you're served. Okay if you're a fussy bugger like me you might have to declare yourself full before you actually are but you make the effort.

expatinscotland Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:38

This reminds me of the thread in the not too recent past with many completely normalising 'fussiness' that amounted to disordered eating.

Chusband Thu 03-Oct-13 16:49:53

through life

The slow cooked pork and apple thing sounds delicious - could I ask for the recipe, pleaseandthankyou?

YouTheCat Thu 03-Oct-13 16:50:40

I feel really hungry now. grin

ScottishDiblet Thu 03-Oct-13 16:52:20

Chusband I know!!! My best friend was traumatised. She can't stop talking about it and it was five years ago! I have no idea if he could eat anything at our wedding.

I want blackberry tart now!

Sybilvimes Thu 03-Oct-13 16:52:37

I don't eat potatoes. When we were little (and completely skint), we spent weeks just eating potatoes from those huge brown bags you could buy.

Now just looking at potatoes makes me feel nauseous. Just saying.

Rowlers Thu 03-Oct-13 16:52:50

I must admit I find fussy grown-up eaters too annoying for words.

CostaLady Thu 03-Oct-13 16:53:37

My DS won't eat potatoes in any shape or form, the weirdy weirdo. Or pasta. Hmm, maybe he's on the Atkins come to think of it.

MammaTJ Thu 03-Oct-13 16:54:40

I make the slow cooked pork and apple thing a lot in winter. My DS moans about it though, but he is 7!

How rude!

PractialJoke Thu 03-Oct-13 16:55:22

Until you got to the nothing from the wild bit i would have agreed but that's such an odd thing to say i wonder if there are some deep seated food issues.

Do you think she knew ahead of time the were staying for dinner?

jeansdoneupwitharubberband Thu 03-Oct-13 16:55:31

this kind of behaviour gets my goat! yadnu! my soon to be mil did this once at my dmums, my mum had cooked up a big veg lasagna (to accomodate soon to be fil) mil announced they wouldnt eat that, theyd just have an omelette! like they were in a fucking restaurant! aaaaaah and relax.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now