Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To stand up and give Sinead O'Connor a round of applause

(202 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Not something that would normally happen at Maison Fifi but in this case I think it is richly deserved for her open letter to Miley Cyrus. I know Sinead is no stranger to courting publicity but with this one I think she is bang on the money www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24382051

Actually, I'd like to print some of the comments about being worth more than your body or sex appeal out and hand them out to some of the secondary school girls going past my gate on a morning.

quesadilla Sat 05-Oct-13 23:44:44

I sort of cheered inside at what she was saying but the presentation was unfortunate. As was the very personal nature of the way it was delivered.

Sinead is on the money but singling out Miley seemed a bit too direct. If it hadn't been for the Hannah Montana thing no-one would find her any worse than the next scantily clad popstrel.

A further reason to think Sinead O Connor should just fuck off is her latest response, which is all WAH IMMA CALL MY LAWYER. The absolute hallmark of the self-righteous bully, that one. First she has a public go at Miley Cyrus, calling her a slut and an idiot and patronizing her all over the place and when Cyrus, quite understandably, reacts with derision rather than tearful thank-you-for-putting-me-firmly-in-my-place adoration, O Connor has a big tantrum. Sinead O Connor's been a professional look-at-my-bleeding wounds martyr for years, and I don't think that encouraging young women to see themselves as helpless victims is all that feminist.

SleepOhHowIMissYou Sat 05-Oct-13 12:19:30

To move this thread away from Sal-gate and get back to the Miley slut-shaming, may I ask where I might find a reverse thread berating the likes of Robin Thicke or Flo Rida for their lack of self-respect and the bad examples they set to today's youth? 'Hey Flo, respect yourself and your body, all those women queuing to 'blow your whistle' don't give a f**k about who you are and will damage your soul!'

What, there isn't one? Why not? Is it because, even after a century of female emancipation, the sexes are still not equal? That we still judge women on Patriachial outmoded values?

What we need are pioneers to level the playing ground, to be brave enough to stand eye to eye with the boys and say 'I don't think I'm better than you, but I think I'm just as good' (or as bad perhaps in this case).

Miley follows in the footsteps of Madonna, Britney and Christina and stands shoulder to shoulder with Rhianna and GaGa. Welcome to the third wave of feminism ladies.

squoosh Sat 05-Oct-13 00:23:46

I don't forget anything, my whole point is that the very fact she was born and brought up in the entertainment business is the problem. People like Madonna or even Lady Gaga had to work their way into fame, hers was handed to her by dint of having parents in the industry.

She was born into this bubble, all she knows is SHOWBIZ!

More parents should abide by that old adage 'Don't put your daughter on the stage Mrs Worthington'

SeaSickSal Fri 04-Oct-13 23:25:47

No Anais, what is polite is not expecting other people to ask permission to use their own name because you share a fairly common name.

Expecting me to ask permission to use what is my own fucking REAL NAME is just ridiculous.

filee777 Fri 04-Oct-13 23:12:21

Massive urge to change my name to 'systemofaSal'

AnaisHendricks Fri 04-Oct-13 23:10:14

No I wasn't Anais then.

I was just being polite.

SeaSickSal Fri 04-Oct-13 23:07:18

SinsterSal it wasn't a light hearted comment. You've done it several times, you know you have because when you did it on this thread you said 'Again SinisterSal and SeaSickSal are not the same person'.

Why did you say again if you haven't done it before or possibly have done maybe once, you can't remember? That's a bit disingenuous. I had every right to pull you up on it, and you insisting that I changed my username or 'acknowledge' your ownership of the name Sal is pompous and ridiculous.

Incidentally if you find people using our common syllable upsetting I suggest you never visit Spain because you will find the condiments there extremely distressing.

And on that note I'm going to bed. So for the next few hours you can be the only Sal on here. I hope that gives you a warm glow.

Mimishimi Fri 04-Oct-13 23:01:52

sinister

adjective
1giving the impression that something harmful or evil is happening or will happen:
there was something sinister about that murmuring voice
evil or criminal:
there might be a more sinister motive behind the government’s actions
2 [attributive] archaic & Heraldry of, on, or towards the left-hand side (in a coat of arms, from the bearer’s point of view, i.e. the right as it is depicted). The opposite of dexter.

seasick

adjective
suffering from sickness or nausea caused by the motion of a ship at sea:
she felt appallingly seasick on any small craft

Apart from the fact that both words are adjectives and have an assonant effect combined with Sal, I can't for the life of me see why you think SeaSickSal is hoping to make people think she's really you.

filee777 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:54:36

Good for you Sinister, I still think you owe someone an apology, though making yourself look as silly as you have probably curbed her upset somewhat I would imagine.

sinistersal Fri 04-Oct-13 22:53:25

Filee - Drop it.
I intend to

JulieMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 04-Oct-13 22:52:15

Now seems like a good time to remind you of our talk guidelines

filee777 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:51:06

You've admitted you made at least two comments at this person on different threads because she 'dares' to have the same name as you.

I think you owe her an apology to be honest.

sinistersal Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:59

Christ almighty I didn't take umbrage ffs.
I'll admit to making an ill-judged comment - in bloody hindsight - but not being pompous controlling demanding elitist bully stalker or all the rest of it

SeaSickSal Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:51

Squoosh you're forgetting that Miley Cyrus has been in the industry since she was a child.

She's also incredibly well connected, her father is in the music industry and was very successful. She's been in the business for years and will have decent representation as a result.

It's not like she's some wide eyed ingenue from the backwoods who doesn't know what is going on or how the music industry works and has to say yes to things.

I think she knows exactly what she doing. She's made the crossover from a child star to a successful adult artist which is no mean feat.

And to be honest the music industry would be a very boring place if it was full of Taylor Swifts floating around in long dresses mooning over boys.

filee777 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:50

You didn't make a 'light hearted comment' don't be ridiculous!

You have said quite clearly that it's important that you differentiate yourself from the other Sal because you disagree with her views!

I don't know either of you from Adam but I do know that you are being unreasonable Sinister.

ArgyMargy Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:36

Oh please.

sinistersal Fri 04-Oct-13 22:47:35

Um, yeah?

I did expect a bit of a light hearted comment on having opposite views or whatever. I've seen that type of thing before. Probably a bit naive I suppose, but all the other insults thrown at me - no! I was taken aback and reared up.

Mimishimi Fri 04-Oct-13 22:47:03

I've noticed a few more variants of Mimi's around here lately. Sometimes their opinions vary from mine. I don't take umbrage and think that they are trying to impersonate and therefore malign me.

filee777 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:44:17

An acknowledgement for what? Being called Sal? Get over yourself woman!

sinistersal Fri 04-Oct-13 22:42:56

God squoosh no, I was delighted to see a Cyrus related post in the middle of all this grin

squoosh Fri 04-Oct-13 22:41:50

Oh things have moved on it would seem! There is a user called Swoosh, sometimes she posts on the same thread as me. I view her as one of my peeps.

sinistersal Fri 04-Oct-13 22:41:18

I don't that I was. Not at the start anyway, because I din't demand anything or even expect much ore than an aknowledgemnet. Didn't cover myself with glory in the ping pong that followed, mind you.
But there was the pair of us in that.

Ah forget it it's fucking nonsense

squoosh Fri 04-Oct-13 22:39:34

I'm not a massive Madonna fan but she has always seemed like someone who's called the shots, even at the start of her career.

Miley Cyrus is a former child star desperate to shake her wholesome former image, not sure how in control of things she is. These days the Shock Stakes are much higher, people think that bigger statements need to be made.

filee777 Fri 04-Oct-13 22:38:39

It's very elitist to say 'oh everyone knows me so I MUST post under you to ensure that my fans are not misled' it's pathetic, I've never seen such tripe on here and trust me, I've seen a lot of rather pathetic elitist behaviour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now