To stand up and give Sinead O'Connor a round of applause

(202 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Not something that would normally happen at Maison Fifi but in this case I think it is richly deserved for her open letter to Miley Cyrus. I know Sinead is no stranger to courting publicity but with this one I think she is bang on the money

Actually, I'd like to print some of the comments about being worth more than your body or sex appeal out and hand them out to some of the secondary school girls going past my gate on a morning.

NotDead Thu 03-Oct-13 18:20:11

Having said that. . its seems like a good bit of advice to consider. What we don't know for real is whether this isMiley two fingers up to her penis 'wholesome' image or not.. The thought experiment is to wonder whether we would think the same if the misogynist execs had decided on a quiet folky look. The real needed info to deciding the morality here is not 'what we think must have happened' we need to know what did happen and who was comfortable with it.

NotDead Thu 03-Oct-13 18:20:37

er..'previous' blush

Boosterseat Thu 03-Oct-13 18:21:00

The brother of my DSM is a huge Prince fan and he told me originally.

I believe its linked to a period of depression after losing his mother and quitting smoking. Not sure on the specifics but it has come up in a couple of pub quizzes since.

WowOoo Thu 03-Oct-13 18:24:00

Sinead has been asked repeatedly to comment in public. Here what an opportunity to give the media something to chew on.

I think she's said what a number of my friends actually think. Bravo!
I love Sinead. Have no opinion on Miley.

blueemerald Thu 03-Oct-13 18:26:58

This letter is deeply problematic. The attitude it takes on the video and the VMA stunt is reminiscent of victim blaming, particularly in the sentence that begins 'we don't let our daughters...' and goes on to describe men as animals preying on women's bodies. ("This is a dangerous world. We don’t encourage our daughters to walk around naked in it because it makes them prey for animals and less than animals, a distressing majority of whom work in the music industry and it’s associated media.")
The implication is clearly that it is Cyrus's fault in some way for being preyed on or objectified because of what she wore or what she did in her video rather than the fault of the men who objectify her or put pressure on her to perform in a compromised way - if they're animals then they lack any responsibility, no matter how loathsome they are.

I have particular difficulty with this section:

"The music business doesn’t give a shit about you, or any of us. They will prostitute you for all you are worth, and cleverly make you think it’s what YOU wanted.. and when you end up in rehab as a result of being prostituted......" (My emphasis)

Make you think? No chance Cyrus has a mind of her own then?
When you end up in rehab? Not if?

"You ought be protected as a precious young lady" shudder

WowOoo Thu 03-Oct-13 18:31:23

So what if Miley does have a mind of her own? She may well have decided to lick a sledgehammer all by herself..

Sinead is just reminding her that she is sending a strong message to all impressionable young uns out there and to think about how she acts.

That's what I thought anyway.

ReviewsOffers Thu 03-Oct-13 18:31:36

Wtf is wrong with saying a young woman ought to be protected as precious??? feed her to the wolves? Twenty is no age. And it's not news to anyone that showbiz is notorious for using and discarding young people, not even to get into the hypersexualised world we live in now.

You are worth more then people getting rich off your body.

Great message

ReviewsOffers Thu 03-Oct-13 18:34:59

I really think this 'mind of her own' is disengenous bollocks.

She/we is following a fashion. (The fashion is for extremely sexualised looks and behaviours which DO impact on the individual and society).
It's different to the fashion for bubble perms or Grunge, but which we (society) have also followed at different times. Daft to say we all independently woke up in 1994 wanting a check shirt and boots, free from any outside influences.

Back2Two Thu 03-Oct-13 18:46:22

You sure? I know Prince wrote it but ......about smoking?

For eg "all the flowers that you planted mama, in the backyard....all died went you went away"

Clever ciggies? grin

ReviewsOffers Thu 03-Oct-13 18:47:50

Well was it about his Mama then, who went away?

Clearly there's more to the song than I thought

blueemerald Thu 03-Oct-13 19:49:47

Precious young person I would have had less issue with, I still think that's a touch patronising but hey.

Sinead may be genuinely worried about Miley, and chances are some mishap will come along, but I am sceptical about the public nature of this letter (I don't buy the 'I was hounded for a quote' line).

imofftolisdoonvarna Thu 03-Oct-13 19:58:46

I think Alan Carr (of all people!) Hit the the nail on the head when he interviewed Miley Cyrus the other week. When discussing the male director of the 'Wrecking Ball' video and the filming of it, he asked 'do you think he got a bit more out of it than you?' grin

squoosh Thu 03-Oct-13 20:00:19

Well done Sinead, I agree with nearly every word. Miley is a puppet who thinks this hyper sexualised image is all her own idea. I wonder how she will reflect on this period of her life when she is 40 something.

Pity that Miley's response has been to scoff at Sinead's well documented mental health issues.

squoosh Thu 03-Oct-13 20:03:53

Terry Richardson directed Wrecking Ball, if you're not familiar with his work you might want to google him.

A creep of the highest order with a preference for a specific aesthetic.

Cutitup Thu 03-Oct-13 20:06:50

I think Miley Cyrus planned this whole thing.

And what a success she's made of herself. She' on the cover of Rolling Stone and her recent single is top of the charts. It's all down to her VMA performance.

Think of the shocking things Madonna and Britney did - it's the same thing. I say, clever Miley. She's made the almost impossible transformation from Disney princess to what she's achieved in the 'real' music business. Frankly, Christina Aguilera's video for "Dirty" was a lot worse.

Amrapaali Thu 03-Oct-13 20:12:02

What is way off is Miley's reply tweet....unbelievable!

Ew I just googled terry Richardson and the first hit was an image of Miley Cyrus more or less exposing her genitals. Then I read about him and the way he treats the very young woman who he photographs. Grim.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 03-Oct-13 20:30:01

Cyrus' reply

Agree that this is way off the mark. Nasty in fact.

ReviewsOffers Thu 03-Oct-13 20:40:03

That's horrible and nasty

Ohh she will just crrriiiingggeee. Sooner rather than later I hope.

buss Thu 03-Oct-13 21:02:23

Do people really think that Miley Cyrus was aware of Sinead Connor's mental health difficulties? That response just proves that she is being told what to say and think.

squoosh Thu 03-Oct-13 21:07:59

Well she would definitely be aware of her peer Amanda Bynes' current problems. Pretty cold to turn them into a glib tweet.

cocoleBOO Thu 03-Oct-13 21:09:58

I liked Sineads letter, but Miley has done herself no favours with that tweet.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 03-Oct-13 21:17:02

buss, Cyrus clearly knows feck all about oconnor or her difficulties. But ignorance is no defence to a quite cold and nasty response to the open letter oconnor wrote. She has proven her to be right, if it's her 'team' that set up that reply. Or shown herself up to be a cocky, immature individual who lacks compassion. Either way, she's going to regret her actions one day. And that is pretty much o'connor's point.

Donkeyok Thu 03-Oct-13 21:18:46

I thought Sinead's comments were spot on, she could as OP says speak at secondary school about appropriate role models for young girls.

I think those tweets from Miley are really nasty.
I wonder whether she really has any more control over them
than her image.
There is probably a whole marketing team writing them.

buss Thu 03-Oct-13 21:33:21

Tensionwheels - I'm not defending Miley Cyrus at all by that comment.

I think Sinead O'Connor is brilliant. She achieved 'success' despite the odds being stacked against her on the strength of her talent, whereas Miley Cyrus is a pampered princess who has never had to strive for anything in her life.

Sinead is spot on with her comments...except I don't think it's just about the music for Miley Cyrus...I think it's also about the 'fame' for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now