I don't have time...

(15 Posts)
cantthinkofagoodone Thu 03-Oct-13 13:54:09

You do, you just don't have the inclination. Be honest and say that you couldn't be arsed because you were tired and wanted to watch the tele.

I have a colleague who always bleats on about not having the time but she only works school hours and her children are of an age where they look after themselves whilst she does the chores.

She is always up to date on tv so she does have the time!!

YDdraigGoch Thu 03-Oct-13 13:56:24

Agree OP - its all about how you chose to spend the time, not how much time you have.
Same for people who say they don't have the money for something, even though they have takeaways several times a week, poncy TVs in every room, exotic holidays etc etc.

Tailtwister Thu 03-Oct-13 13:56:54

Isn't there a saying which goes something like, 'if you want something done ask a busy person'? I remember reading an article about the traits of very successful people and one of the major similarities was they took very little down time. Most of them were out for a run at 4.30am!

cantthinkofagoodone Thu 03-Oct-13 15:21:12

I know! I don't judge her on how she spends her time but she likes to moan about how short of time she is.

I see it quite a lot on here too and every time I'm a little wound up haha

valiumredhead Thu 03-Oct-13 15:24:18

I don't have time to iron.

Tee2072 Thu 03-Oct-13 15:25:50

I have time. I just don't like doing things. Fact. grin

I don't have money. That's also a fact. I don't remember the last time I had a takeaway. And my last holiday was only possible thanks to my mom paying for it.

NotYoMomma Thu 03-Oct-13 15:30:02

im going to tell dh I didnt have time to do thedishes today.

I've sat here for the last 30 minutes frothing at the news with my feet up while dd naps

brew

Tuonz Thu 03-Oct-13 15:39:25

Great post OP.

Bloody true. I'm one of natures procrastinators.

I wonder how my life would change if I aimed to use every minute. Run in the morning, do that excel qualification with my tax rebate, make even my down time more, instead of just slumming run myself a lovely bath and read a good book, one of those classics eveyoe should read.

Bloody hell cantthink. I think I'll give it a go.

hermioneweasley Thu 03-Oct-13 15:47:08

"There are only 2 days a year when you can't achieve something - yesterday and tomorrow". Or something like that.

cantthinkofagoodone Thu 03-Oct-13 15:48:16

Tuonz, that sounds lovely. I can't be arsed though.

I agree with you to an extent OP. It is irritating if people moan about lack of time but on the other hand, I need downtime. Some people can function and think on the run so to speak. They find doing the chores relaxing and it is their downtime, or alternatively they need company and so like to be out and about and doing things.

I am with Tee2072 - I have time because I am not always busy but I need to give myself a breather in order to do what I really have to do properly iyswim.

I think it also depends on what you mean by successful people. Yes they may have made it to the top of their tree but it is probably at the expense of some other area in their lives which they perhaps enjoy less or care less about. Very few people have enough hours in the day to be able to do everything properly.

fairylightsintheautumn Thu 03-Oct-13 16:28:42

there was a woman on here a while ago who said she maintains her figure and skintone etc by a fairly gruelling regime that does involve going to the gym at 5am. Frankly, I wasn't envious. With two small kids an hours commute to work and a husband I'd like to spend a little time with each day, it really IS very difficult to fit in things like the gym. I get up at 6am and therefore need to go to bed by about ten at the latest. Kids are in bed and dinner eaten, chores done by say 8.30 /9pm. Doesn't leave much spare. If I did fit it in it would be at the expense of the very little down time DH and I do get which I think is important. I do get pissed off with my sis who has no kids, works 9-5 with no "homework" and claims she has no time to do things however.

I don't have time to go and get ready to go out at the moment as I'm on here reading all the very important posts. Yay. I'll have to rush around like a lunatic in about half an hour.

Normally I'm mentally busy though. Just not right now.

Hassled Thu 03-Oct-13 17:54:01

It's just so easy to get into a rut, though isn't it - you stretch the jobs to fill the time you have available, so in your head you have no time. The house-related chores I do now when I get in from work used to take me the majority of the day when I was home all the time, and I felt busy then.

LongTailedTit Thu 03-Oct-13 18:16:01

Hassled spot on.

Both my mother and my sister daily claim 'no time', but DM doesn't work, her day is filled with constant gardening work and housework/cooking, whereas DSis has three DC, a cleaner (but no help at home from her DH), and a business she runs from home in school hours and evenings.

DSis is genuinely v busy, but still won't say 'I don't want to' instead of the 'no time' cliche as she doesn't like to say no. grin

DM is ridiculous. Says she hasn't had time to sit down all day literally every time I speak to her, yet it's largely self-imposed. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now