Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that belgian voluntary enthanasia is murder

(80 Posts)
ReallyTired Thu 03-Oct-13 09:29:53

When you have someone who is terminally ill and in extreme pain then I think there is a case for enthanasia. However I think there is a fine line between helping someone to have a dignified death and helping someone with possilby treatable depression to commit suicide.

This poor transexual was allowed enthanasia because of a botched sex change operation. I feel that he/she should have had treatment for depression/ councelling rather than being helped to commit suicide. I imagine that the fact that Nathan Verhelst was rejected by his parents for being born a girl had caused him untold pychological issues.

Prehaps Nathan Verhelst was poorly supported through his sex change operation and its tragic that he never found happiness. I hope that he rests in peace and I feel its sad that he was not helped to find peace in this world.

Loopytiles Thu 03-Oct-13 20:03:24

People with terrible degenerative conditions have the choice to commit suicide or travel somewhere like switzerland before they want to die,while they can still physically do this, depriving them of time; to ask someone to help them die (potentially risking prosecution and a huge emotional burden); or go through whatever their condition has in store.

The option of a dignified death when they choose would be much better.

expatinscotland Fri 04-Oct-13 00:03:37

I lost my daughter to 'natural causes', pneumonia from cancer treatment. It was horrible. Her lungs failed after weeks of battling two infections and leaked the air they were unable to exchange, whilst she was on a vent. The poor doctor was so, so kind. We asked what would happen if the vent were not turned off. He told us the truth, and I've learned from other doctor friends that it was indeed the truth. Those patients wake up, no matter how heavily sedated, as the build up of air literally crushes them to death from the inside and finally their hearts cease to beat due to pressure. And he said, very softly, 'It haunts me.' We had no wish to visit that on her nor that man, who was very kind, nor anyone else. We switched her off. Other people chose differently, that is their choice.

We have since come to know countless other bereaved parents whose children died of other natural causes and the stories I can tell you would make a statue keen with grief.

Despite all the best palliative care, it is not drifting off to sleep much of the time. The human body clings and fights for life.

Death is not pretty or romantic. Changes happen very quickly to the body.

As an adult, I would seek to avoid this if possible, and I resent others dictating what they think it best for me because it doesn't sit well with their comfort zone and their parameters.

I do not judge others who opt differently but that is just it, it should be a choice, and I do resent others who think I, or anyone else, should not have that option, to die with as much dignity as possible, with loved ones who chose to be there, and treat me and those people like criminals.

MorrisZapp Fri 04-Oct-13 09:43:43

Oh expat. No words really. Hugs if you want them.

LookingThroughTheFog Fri 04-Oct-13 09:54:40

Once again, I'm left with the unsettling feeling that some people out there think that suicidal people simply aren't working hard enough at being well.

Most of us work bloody hard every single sodding day, and there's often no end in sight. Yet you're still told that suicides are selfish, that they should only choose certain ways, that they only need X, Y or Z.

I'm actually fine at the moment. I'm doing relatively well. I'm happy for my children's sake that they still have a mum around, but I'm not happy for me specifically. I don't think 'thank God I didn't end it! Life is lovely now!' I'm hanging on for them, and life is currently manageable but no more than that. I'm very well aware that this is not likely to be a permanent situation. I'm aware that there is more pain to come, and more work to do. And whatever happens, there will be people sitting in judgement that I'm not working hard enough.

Yes I do think 'I'd like to be around for my children's weddings.' I also know that the reality is that this might not happen.

LookingThroughTheFog Fri 04-Oct-13 09:54:58

And so many sympathies to you, Expat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now