To wonder what the point of short sleeved jumpers is?

(49 Posts)
KenAdams Thu 03-Oct-13 00:11:22

Particularly for children. Just, why? If it's cold enough to wear a jumper, it's cold enough for your arms to be covered.

SprinkleLiberally Thu 03-Oct-13 19:04:27

Hmm. I'm thinking of getting one. To wear with a shirt underneath. Mind you I also love fingerless gloves and/or wristwarmer things.

complexnumber Thu 03-Oct-13 18:54:51

Are we talking Tank Tops here? As in the '70's?

Fantastic clobber, allowed me to wear a purple tank top with red bands, along with stretch purple flares and platforms.

I regularly went out in public dressed like that, and I never got thrown off public transport or made to look at myself in a mirror.

(I am a bloke)

KenAdams Thu 03-Oct-13 15:33:57

I'm the same Bunbaker

NK493efc93X1277dd3d6d4 Thu 03-Oct-13 10:51:48

I've wondered this for years, same applies to coats without sleeves & sleeveless polo neck dresses!

harticus Thu 03-Oct-13 10:36:45

I get cold arms but my body is fine.
I just need woolly sleeves.

ShakeRattleNRoll Thu 03-Oct-13 10:31:58

I like to show off my bingo wings and a tank top is ideal for that also it frees up the arms which makes some movements /jobs easier to do

FrightRider Thu 03-Oct-13 10:29:58

layering.

or for the people who put a nice warm jumper on, then push the sleeves up!

I forgot to mention, I have a knitting book and there is a pattern for a polo neck jumper that has no arms attached, but you also knit 'arms' which start just above the elbow grinconfused what is the point of that?! confused

MrsDeVere Thu 03-Oct-13 09:28:15

I am SO glad you bought this up.

I mean, if its cold you want a jumper don't you?

So you want to be warm all over.

Not just bits of you.

An if its warm you don't want to wear a woolly t-shirt.

BangOn Thu 03-Oct-13 09:27:04

presumably it's so you then feel yoi have to fork out for long sleeve tops too.

PrimalLass Thu 03-Oct-13 09:25:53

Gilets? Don't even go there. Why?! Are your arms not freezing? I'm all riled up now. Bloody gilets?

I love gilets because I get a bit claustrophobic in big coats.

ilovexmastime Thu 03-Oct-13 09:24:40

Fingerless gloves are useful for when you're cold but still need to type!

NoComet Thu 03-Oct-13 09:23:27

I used to and DDs still do, have short, 3/4 length sleeves on school blouses.

They make it way easier to shove your jumper sleeves up in art and science.

Likewise, having short arms, 3/4 length sleeves are a good idea in a lab coat or indeed under a smart jacket.

Not that I do jackets often, but blouse cuffs and sleeves bunching between hand and jacket looks scruffy and is uncomfortable.

Tavv Thu 03-Oct-13 09:19:01

YANBU. I've always thought they were pointless!

DukeSilver Thu 03-Oct-13 09:09:42

Never mind the practicalities of them (which I agree is not much) surely they should be avoided for style purposes alone?

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 03-Oct-13 08:57:34

I have a couple of warm bulky jumpers with 3/4 length sleeves. I spend the whole time tugging at them trying to cover my arms, but I like my wrists to be warm, I tend to hold onto long sleeves with my hands to keep them pulled down as far as possible. I think 3/4 sleeves look silly over long sleeved tops, I am young but not at all stylish.

FredFredGeorge Thu 03-Oct-13 08:54:54

It's because if you're doing an activity which needs a large range of arm movement, a bulky coat makes the activity difficult. Armless clothes make it easy.

I guess those of you who don't get that just don't do anything active in cold conditions?

I find then useful for when it's cold but not bitterly cold.

However in freezing cold weather I need a proper coat and jumper!

AnnoyingOrange Thu 03-Oct-13 08:37:44

I like short and three quarter sleeves. As others have said, it saves me pushing up full length sleeves

Weasleyismyking Thu 03-Oct-13 08:29:53

The only present from my grandma that I didn't take back (during my teens) was a short sleeved polo neck (!) jumper. It was lovely and soft with fab colours, I was so pleased to finally like something she'd chosen!

Never wore the bloody thing. It was always either too warm or too cold for it! I finally passed it on to a charity shop and felt guilty about passing on the annoying pretty top.

ClaraOswald Thu 03-Oct-13 07:53:25

I hate anything on my lower arms except for a watch.

As long as my body and feet are comfortably warm, my arms can be freezing and I don't usually mind. Plus short sleeved jumpers mean I don't ruin the sleeves of long sleeved ones by pushing them up to my elbows.

Alwayscheerful Thu 03-Oct-13 07:41:13

Our "dressing with style" workshop lady said shorter sleeves were good for those with short limbs they make you look taller.

I live in a barn conversion which can be chilly, I find short sleeved sweaters less bulky and useful when washing up and cleaning. Great for layering too.

ModernToss Thu 03-Oct-13 07:37:00

I find short-sleeved jackets and suits particularly mystifying. Just use a lighter fabric!

PirateJelly Thu 03-Oct-13 07:27:47

YADNBU- I remember one year when every single clothes shop I went in had nothing but three quarter length jumpers and cardigans angry Really boiled my pee that did. There's absolutely no point, sod fashion I'm freezing!

Gingerandcocoa Thu 03-Oct-13 07:25:40

Agreed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now