to want to buy pyjamas that are something other than sugar pink...

(62 Posts)
Rhubarbgarden Wed 02-Oct-13 21:50:04

or branded with Pepa fucking Pig for 3yo dd?

I'm sorry if the age old whinge about excess pink princessy stuff for girls has already been done to death on here, but I've been looking for some nice inexpensive pyjamas for dd for weeks, and everything, everything is sodding pink. Or branded with TV/Disney characters. Even places that should know better, like M&S.

If dd really wanted pink sequinny princessy shite I would buy it for her, but so far she is immune and I'm damned if I'm going buy this stuff and encourage it.

Once again I have ended up buying boys pyjamas for her, with a nice colourful rocket on, but I shouldn't have to look in the boys' sections to find anything interesting, should I?

Or am I just overreacting? It is just pyjamas after all. I'm not normally particularly militant about this sort of thing, but today it has really annoyed me.

Crowler Thu 03-Oct-13 08:20:03

Rhubarbgarden, check out the above mentioned brands on Ebay. You'll find a lot of it second-hand, because it's pretty good quality. Quite right that buying online makes it a lot easier to skirt this particular issue.

The Boden long john style pjs are quite good sizewise because it's doesn't matter if a bit long as teh elastic pulls it in. They last v well and if you can get a pack of two with a discount code or sale price the price is ok. I saw some lovely animal design ones in Monsooon recently and always found the GAP ones good for little ones.

FusilliJerry Thu 03-Oct-13 20:13:48

I have also bought leggings and tops from h&m and used as pyjamas. Good cheap option.

TheCountessOlenska Thu 03-Oct-13 20:14:40

I genuinely never have this problem. I do see that there is loads of pink and/or heavily logo-ed stuff in the shops but I can always sift through it and find something good (perhaps I spend too much time toddler clothes shopping grin )

DD has gone to bed tonight wearing green stripy pjs from Gap - they do have a mermaid on the front but she is a nice one not a stripper (!) one. She also has white with little flowers (Cath Kidson alike) from both Boots and Asda, and stripy/ check from Asda and Tesco atm.

Tavv Thu 03-Oct-13 20:37:00

> If you have the time and money, making clothes for children allows complete customization.

Erica you forgot there's also skill involved grin My efforts would be rubbish I'm sure!

night1971 Thu 03-Oct-13 20:43:07

Second mothercare here again. White spotty ones and simply pretty pink ones with no garish logos. Dainty and warm.
www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Floral-Pyjamas---2-Pack/LZ0447,default,pd.html

meganorks Thu 03-Oct-13 20:48:54

Try TK Maxx - while you and I may try and avoid pink I suspect the reason there is so much is that the other colours just don't sell as well. Instead they end up cheap in TK Maxx!

haveyourselfashandy Thu 03-Oct-13 20:52:28

There are some lovely colourful checked pj's in Asda at the mo.I bought some for my dd but they are meant to be for boys I think...don't care really,they are lovely.

LittleMissWise Thu 03-Oct-13 21:00:45
BiddyPop Thu 03-Oct-13 23:05:20

I hate this too. Primark (penny's here) can often be reasonable for color, or h&m.

It doesn't get easier as they get older.

catslave Fri 04-Oct-13 00:12:16

OP, I feel your pain. DD(3) is a redhead, so it's safe to say sugar pink really isn't her colour...

NoComet Fri 04-Oct-13 00:35:44

Nor pale violet grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now