to want to be able to buy NORMAL sanitary towels???

(88 Posts)
Nottalotta Wed 02-Oct-13 21:27:54

NOT with wings, NOT extra long and definately NOT bloody well deoderised for extra thrushness freshness!!

So i've not had a period for almost 8 years thanks to the depo jab. Came off it last year , eventually got a period this june. Had tried to prepare by buying sanitary towels but is nigh on impoossible to buy normal non scennted non winged pads!! What has changed since last time ffs??

(can't use tampons as get toxic shock syndrome godddammit)

Completely agree, always are the worst now, so synthetic smelling and give me raging thrush. I use Maternity pads for night time or if I'm at home during the day (they are very thick so I wouldn't really wear them out and about) or Natracare pads (I order them online) for out and about during the day. I haven't had thrush since I started doing this.

marion37 Wed 05-Mar-14 13:18:02

Does Anyne Know Where I Can Buy A Sanitary Belt From ?

Pixel Tue 25-Feb-14 19:41:29

I've only used a mooncup for years and wouldn't go back. I've started my menopause and I'm not having any of the horrendous problems my mum suffered with (flooding etc).
However if I had to use towels I would only use the plain Kotex ones, they are nice and soft and cottony, don't make you feel sweaty, don't have stupid wings or smell like air freshener. Our local Londis always has them if that helps anyone.
Dd was ill in bed the other week and asked me to get her some towels so I went into Sainsbury's (very large branch not a 'local' type thing). All I could see was rows and rows of different kinds of Always, literally a whole side of an aisle, and only a couple of token packets of different brands. Do Sainsbury's have shares or something?

CaffeinatedKitten Tue 25-Feb-14 00:09:22

I'm tempted by the csp. I am insanely sensitive after my last pregnancy and it may just be worth a bash.

CorusKate Mon 24-Feb-14 23:46:04

Just asked DP how he would feel about reusable towels, since he does the laundry. He didn't look keen grin

Pipbin Mon 24-Feb-14 23:43:20

I like the idea of the reusable towels but I just think that washing them would be a pain as there is only 2 of us and so I only run the washing machine a couple of times a week.

RaspberryRuffle Mon 24-Feb-14 23:16:32

I have a meluna cup (different brand to mooncup, essentially the same principle, more sizes available I think. Also a choice of dangly bit for pulling it out. And a few brushes for cleaning which are just interdental brushes really). Also have a few washable towels. If I need to use disposables kotex are the least irritating ones I have found, or boots own panty liners.
I got hang of the cup after 2 periods, also tried softcup which I quite liked too as an alternative for holiday etc.

phantomnamechanger Mon 24-Feb-14 23:05:40

I bought some Charlie banana towels and pant liners for the DDs to try before xmas and they both really like them - comfy, secure, no leaks. washed without any problems (I tried both soaked in water in a bin first, and just left to dry in a bin then shoved in with the washing - both ways worked fine - no smell in the bin, no stains on the towels), they also dried really quickly and stayed really soft and fleecy (did not go hard and crispy like the washable nappies we used to use). need to get round to buying more, yes they are expensive but we will soon recoup that money. I wish they had been around in my day.

hellymelly Mon 24-Feb-14 22:54:50

This thread has inspired me to go and buy a few washables to try... it the fanny erosion that did it i think....

CorusKate Mon 24-Feb-14 22:40:46

The discrete packaging helps avoid the towels all getting stuck together in the box. grin

TeamWill Mon 24-Feb-14 22:34:06

I have used a Moon cup for about 5 years - yep the same one .
Boil after use.
No bloody wings or fragrance or discrete hmm packaging so you bastards can fuck the fuck off with your have a happy period
<and breathe> grin

Scented ones make my fandango sore and itchy. blush

Do you non wingers not get leaks though. I have to tampax and towels or get in a right mess and haven't tried wingless!

ReadyToPopAndFresh Mon 24-Feb-14 17:01:49

Notta the rotten meat mooncup woman hadn't emptied it for 3 days because it took that long to get full. Imagine wearing the same towel for that long....

envy

hellymelly Mon 24-Feb-14 16:25:58

I agree bodyform or natracare. Big branches of boots stock more choice- in Bodyform anyway. i stock up when I am in one as I live in the back of beyond. I have a light-ish flow so tampons aren't great anyway (the sensation of changing a dryish tampon makes me go a bit sick and faint...shudder..) And I have found the same as you op, that most of the products out there have wings etc. DH once bought scented always as we were away on holiday and that was all the nearest shop had in stock. I could smell them across the room! There was no way I was using them, DH was horrified (as a Dad of girls ) he hadn't realised that scented san-pro even existed. We had to drive miles to a Tesco to get something acceptable. So bulk buy when you find one that suits you, because they seem to be discontinuing stuff all the time.

piratecat Mon 24-Feb-14 16:20:44

Morrisons and Tesco do their own normal pads, dd loves the first ones. 80p a packet. no fuss, wings, odd sticky strips!

SometimesLonely Mon 24-Feb-14 16:17:16

You can buy Dr White's sanitary towels on the internet from a well known site. The good old sort with loops etc.

MinesAPintOfTea Mon 24-Feb-14 16:05:13

Notta the rotten meat mooncup woman hadn't emptied it for 3 days because it took that long to get full. Imagine wearing the same towel for that long....

Also I've used both mooncup and softcup, the softcup is much more difficult to use cleanly.

But understand they're not for everyone, supermarket own brand tend to be scent-free and I've considered buying reusables before deciding that was daft as I only buy them to carry in case of unexpected period.

AlpacaLypse Mon 24-Feb-14 16:04:25

Anyone else noticed that Always seem to be on permanent special offer these days? Could it be because they've got a massive amount of stinky scented stuff in stock and are desperately trying to shift it? smile

falulahthecat Mon 24-Feb-14 15:58:07

Quite frankly I personally don't know why anyone would rather use synthetic perfumed products in such a delicately balanced area over natural bleach free cotton ones anyways, there's hardly any difference pennies-wise either.

falulahthecat Mon 24-Feb-14 15:55:41

Balaboosta
Yup - the whole reason I was at the docs was because I was getting sore/splitting skin, it almost 100% improved once I stopped using bleached and perfumed plastic-y products. I have two other friends who have had to do the same after getting the same 'side effects'.

So actually yes, people have noticed! wink
Obviously you're one of the lucky people who have a sturdy vagina rather than my sub-par over sensitive one.... grin

FlipFlippingFlippers Mon 24-Feb-14 08:36:31

I used to have to wear tampons and towels and change almost hourly as I'd regularly leak but I'd actually be confident enough to go knicker free with my mooncup! Never had a single leak and can easily go 6 hours when iit's at its heaviest.

Balaboosta Mon 24-Feb-14 08:24:06

Erode the vulva? Like nobody's noticed?
I met someone that told me they made their own toothpaste out of "natural ingredients" and used that because the fluoride in toothpaste was "sending everybody mad". Said as we walked along a normal city street past crowds of normal city people going about their normal city business.
I thought - and they are mad? and warned her about tooth decay and didn't hire her as a nanny

Pipbin Mon 24-Feb-14 07:52:47

I bought some Always a while ago and was surprised to find they didn't have wings.

My question with reusable ones is washing them. How? When? What else with?

CorusKate Sun 23-Feb-14 23:06:34

Can't you just cut the wings off if they bother you that much?

Dillydollydaydream Sun 23-Feb-14 23:03:31

Off^ even blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now