to want to be able to buy NORMAL sanitary towels???

(88 Posts)
Nottalotta Wed 02-Oct-13 21:27:54

NOT with wings, NOT extra long and definately NOT bloody well deoderised for extra thrushness freshness!!

So i've not had a period for almost 8 years thanks to the depo jab. Came off it last year , eventually got a period this june. Had tried to prepare by buying sanitary towels but is nigh on impoossible to buy normal non scennted non winged pads!! What has changed since last time ffs??

(can't use tampons as get toxic shock syndrome godddammit)

meditrina Thu 03-Oct-13 06:50:37

Try Poundshops for Kotex.

Any brand except Always (nearly whole range scented) as apart from them, the only scented ST is one type of Bodyform; or any own-brand.

GobblersKnob Thu 03-Oct-13 06:54:23

Cup, all the way, you may find you don't even need to empty it at work, and even if you do it not difficult at all, just remove, tip down the loo, wipe with a tissue or tip a little water ever with a bottle (it doesn't need to be spotless, it going straight back where it came from grin) then a wet wipe for your hands, job done.

I cannot stress how much nicer they are they any other form of sanitary protection, I also use washable towels which I prefer hands down to disposable.

CrohnicallyLurking Thu 03-Oct-13 06:58:07

The MoonCup smelled of rotting meat because they never cleaned it!

I never had to change mine at work, I only worked 6 hour shifts and the MoonCup holds loads. But if you did have to, empty it down the toilet, wipe with toilet paper and reinsert, just give it a wash when you get home. Or you can take a bottle of water to rinse it with.

And at the end of your period, give it a thorough wash, you can use a short bath in Milton or boil the MoonCup, and then it won't smell, promise!

CrohnicallyLurking Thu 03-Oct-13 06:58:37

X post with gobblers

Jaynebxl Thu 03-Oct-13 07:09:05

White wine beat me to asking what's wrong with wings. I'd never buy them without because they cover more ground and stick on better in my opinion. I've never had a sound when I walk and I'm sure you would soon get used to how to actually put the things on!

Nottalotta Thu 03-Oct-13 07:21:32

Honestly, 8 yrs without a period and its like being 12 again! I did end up with wings because every fecking option had wings or scent. Wings were the lesser evil. Will go on a planned crusade round town in my lunch hour. I did try the pound shop but will try again. Thanks all.

pointythings Thu 03-Oct-13 08:27:45

I just found a big hole in one of my pairs of Period Pants... M&S, here I come! grin

Fifibluebell Thu 03-Oct-13 09:10:16

YABU I like wings but YANBU about scent! The Always brand smells absolutely disgusting and I want to heave before I even open the packet!

mrsjay Thu 03-Oct-13 09:20:01

our little chemist and corner shop sell Kotex I use them sometimes if they dont have bodyform in

mrsjay Thu 03-Oct-13 09:20:53

I dont mind wings though i feel secure with them i hate scents though and i noticed body form have started to put pretty patterns on theirs confused

Pointeshoes Thu 03-Oct-13 09:36:47

I use the mooncup and 'Charlie banana' lovely soft washable sanitary towels, easy to deal with and makes me feel cleaner without that horrible plastic. I'm not a hippy or anything I promise, so if you want to know more just ask

ghostonthecanvas Thu 03-Oct-13 09:44:04

Pointe I know its not my thread but I would like to know more. I really dislike the weird, draggy feeling I get with my towels. I have never heard of 'Charlie banana'.

ninilegsintheair Thu 03-Oct-13 09:57:04

I recently tried a softcup (a disposable mooncup) as I had a free sample. By god the thing was horrible. Hard to get in, hard to take out, felt bruised afterwards, didn't carry that much blood and the bathroom looked like an abbatoir (despite being really careful). No thanks.

I like the idea of washable sanitary towels but they're very expensive.

I must be the only one who can't smell the 'fresh' scent of an Always pad when you open it. Doesn't smell of anything to me blush

Vintagecakeisstillnice Thu 03-Oct-13 10:03:30

Charlie Banana are great!

Dear at first but when you add up what you spend on disposable towels it soon looks cheap grin.
And I'm sure I bleed less, but anyway they're online, and have different colours!

How can your choice of femimine hygiene product determine your flow? Is this a scientifically proved fact?

Tanith Thu 03-Oct-13 19:28:39

My mum complained bitterly when they stopped doing the old-fashioned loop towels that hooked each end onto a sanitary belt. She said she didn't feel secure with the stick-on ones (and she believed that tampons were for loose women grin).

sonlypuppyfat Thu 03-Oct-13 19:38:27

I love a towel with wings and for night time I love a really thick old fashioned one for bed.

CrohnicallyLurking Thu 03-Oct-13 19:38:51

I don't know about amount of blood, but I have fewer cramps when using a MoonCup, and it has stopped the recurring thrush infections I used to suffer with (since switching, I have only had thrush once during pregnancy and that was probably due to GD, compared with a couple of times a year pre MoonCup). Like ghost I got a draggy feeling with towels. With the MoonCup I feel nothing.

I won't lie, it does take some getting used to, but probably after the first period I was confident in removing and reinserting.

I have to have a tampon and towel as I'm so heavy sad I like wings as its stops side leakage.

I buy Superdrug own make its a lot cheaper and just as good as other stuff. I agree the scented ones make your fairy itch though! wink

EverybodysGoneSurfing Thu 03-Oct-13 20:19:03

I have just switched back to thicker bodyform and they stay in place and are much more comfortable than always ultrathin with wings. I am not sure why I was so convinced that thinner was better, it's not like anyone's looking (i don't wear tight trousers etc)

I am beginning to think the same Every. Call me old fashioned.

TheYamiOfYawn Thu 03-Oct-13 20:47:50

Mooncup or cloth pads for me. I love cloth pads. They feel all cozy and snuggly. I wear them on days when I just want to wear pyjamas all day, stuff my face with chocolate and watch black and white melodrama on TV. They are like a soft teddy bear for your bleeding snatch.

piratecat Thu 03-Oct-13 20:50:06

my dd wears Morrisons own pads, they are proper 'old school'. and absorb, and are 75p a packet. they work so well.

weebarra Thu 03-Oct-13 20:53:27

I haven't had a period for a while (DD is 6 weeks old) but will definitely be investing in a mooncup when it returns.
I wonder if the makers of Always know how many previously loyal customers they have lost since they made their products smell of cheap air freshener?

grin at soft teddy bear for your bleeding snatch

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now