To wonder if it's mean to con my two year old like this?

(48 Posts)
ZombiesAteMyCunnyFunt Wed 02-Oct-13 11:36:31

DD is 2.3yo, she just asked me for a 'gits' (biscuit) so I gave her one and she looked at me and said 'Two gits glease mummy.' So I took the biscuit off her, snapped it in half and gave it back. She was delighted and ran off squealing 'Two gits! Two gits!'.

Is it so terrible to con her like that? She was so happy with her two gits grin

Aaaaw I'd do that grin

HappySeven Wed 02-Oct-13 11:39:51

Sounds perfect. My DD now says "we'll buy it another day" whenever I say no to something (eg chocolate, sweets etc) and I agree with her. She hasn't clicked yet that "another day" never seems to come.

PeterParkerSays Wed 02-Oct-13 11:40:10

Nah, my dad saved hundreds of pounds over the years sticking his son in front of the driving machines in amusement arcades on holiday, because my brother was too young to read the "game over" sign and would "drive" for ages.

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 02-Oct-13 11:42:34

When DS went through the phase of breaking the biscuit in half himself and then complaining because it was broken I just said "No, no! It's not broken, now you have TWO!"

Never worked sad

YaNBU (but I am a bit jealous grin)

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Wed 02-Oct-13 11:47:09

Of course not! My neighbour always had a tin full of broken biscuits because her toddler wouldn't have 'just one' without a tantrum... she's 'anything for an easy life' smile Not me - I'm far more 'if you are going to make a fuss I'll have that one back hmm' but ... it might be easier not to be!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 02-Oct-13 11:52:34

Brilliant! not mean at all. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Chippednailvarnish Wed 02-Oct-13 11:52:54

Gets pen and makes a note for next time...

Seeline Wed 02-Oct-13 11:55:13

I remember my little sister being delighted that she had 10 coins from my grandad and I only had 1 (both actually had 10p....) Enjoy their innocence while it lasts smile

OHforDUCKScake Wed 02-Oct-13 11:56:32

My 2 year old would have puppies if I broke any of his food.

God forbid I bit the ice lolly that he'd decided he didnt want the other day.

He tried to demand a new one. "<screams> Mummy broken eye lor lor!"

MaidOfStars Wed 02-Oct-13 12:14:50

Like Seeline, the "more coins" thing always worked on me. As did the "bigger" coin thing, which rendered a 2p piece more valuable than a 50p or a £1.

GeppaGip Wed 02-Oct-13 12:15:46

My 2 year old goes into meltdown mode if snap his biscuiys in half. He even does it when he accidentally breaks his own biscuits grin. you would be shocked.

Yanbu if you can get away with it. Wish I could grin

GeppaGip Wed 02-Oct-13 12:15:47

My 2 year old goes into meltdown mode if snap his biscuiys in half. He even does it when he accidentally breaks his own biscuits grin. you would be shocked.

Yanbu if you can get away with it. Wish I could grin

MaidOfStars Wed 02-Oct-13 12:16:02

D'oh, is a 2p piece bigger than a 50p? I don't think it is....Anyway, you get my point...please spare me the mockery...

Squitten Wed 02-Oct-13 12:16:32

If you can get away with it, do it!

It won't be long until they're conning YOU into giving them three...

CadleCrap Wed 02-Oct-13 12:20:17

NEVER EVER do this to a banana!

choceyes Wed 02-Oct-13 12:29:31

haha! I could never get away with it with my 3yr old now, maybe when she was 2 yes...wish I'd thought of that!

My 3yr DD has this habit of eating half an icecream and then giving it to me "for keeping it for later" hmm
I eat it, not wanting to waste it ofcourse and an hour later she goes where's my icecream? and goes berserk when I say I've eaten it!

Beastofburden Wed 02-Oct-13 13:06:34

A friend's DS thought biscuits were called "jus ones" because whenever he asked for biscuits she would say, "just one".

Little kids can't get the equivalence between one big valuable coin and lots of little shiny ones. I have seen them get quite traumatised by maths activities, NOOOOO it can't be true.

While it lasts, it makes Christmas pretty cheap though.

That still works with my (very clever in other ways) 12 year old - He thinks as long as he has 6 slices of pizza, that it's a whole pizza - but it doesn't matter what size the slices are. I thought he was putting a bit of weight on so was cutting back his portions and cut the pizza into 8 but only gave him 6 of the slices - he is happily oblivious grin (and back to his normal slim self i should add)

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 02-Oct-13 13:27:03

Oh, Christmas! My DSis was thrilled to see all her presents, I don't think she believed me when I told her my one gift cost the same as all hers. Ditto Easter.

ZombiesAteMyCunnyFunt Fri 04-Oct-13 07:37:01

I'm intrigued CradleCrap, why not a banana?

Yanbu. Make the most of it while she's still young and gullible :0)

ZombiesAteMyCunnyFunt Sun 06-Oct-13 14:45:04

I gave her "two" biscuits yesterday, she put the halves together, gave me a very knowing smile then wandered off chuckling and saying 'Twooooo gits!'.

She knows shock

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 06-Oct-13 14:48:45

Love the age when they are easily fooled.

DS used to love 2p but now he know the paper money is more.

jojane Sun 06-Oct-13 15:09:55

ds2 seems to accept that we will buy more when we go shopping, even if i never actually do. when ever we run out of something he says more shopping and happily accepts whatever substitute i give him

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now