To not want to be intimidated by an HGV driver on a busy motorway.

(238 Posts)

I was on the motorway today. Fairly busy but fluid and freely flowing traffic.

I was travelling at about 55-65mph in the slow lane. I wasn't in a hurry and found myself approaching a car +caravan in lane 2.

As I was doing an acceptable and safe motorway speed and I was in no hurry I decided that I wwasn't going to weavve out to lane 3 to overtake and I wasn't going to break the law by 'undertaking'. I was also approaching my junction. I sat behind the caravan in my lane (ie ensuring I wasn't in the caravan blind spot).

An HGV approached from behind, and continued to drive in my estimation, less than 2 car lengths behind me. It was so close that all I could see in my mirror was the radiator grill. I literally could not see his winscreen. I could not see the number plate.

I touched my brakes gently couple of times to indicate that he was uncomfortably close.

A couple of minutes late rhe was using his horn to tell me to move.

As it was a 4 lane motorway it would have been legal for the lorry to move out to lane 3 if he was tgat desperate. Meanwhile I felt intimidated and unsafe.

But it wasn't congested. There was nothing in sight in front of me or caravan.

Rule 163 makes specific reference to it onky being allowed if the caravan was moving slowly (it wasn't) and in queuing traffic (it wasnt).

mrsmalcolmreynolds Tue 01-Oct-13 01:04:58

Not every traffic situation fits neatly into situations described in the HC. On balance I would not consider passing the caravan with you in the left hand lane as undertaking in this situation., although it is not v clear. Obviously though YANBU to want not to be intimidated in this dangerous manner but overall I would have driven somewhat faster, staying in the left lane and giving the caravan judicious evil glances as I passed.

gobbynorthernbird Tue 01-Oct-13 02:01:16

You wouldn't have been undertaking. You must also have been going pretty bloody slowly if a speed limited vehicle is wanting to get past you.

kiriwawa Tue 01-Oct-13 03:51:29

See the link that Gobby posted. It isn't illegal for you to undertake in those circumstances and you were driving too slowly.

PlayedThePinkOboe Tue 01-Oct-13 04:15:33

You are a dangerous driver. Unless you can keep up with the pace of traffic on the motorway, you shouldn't be there. sad

Whilst you feel you are "safe" (because you are slow) - one of the fundamental rules of driving is that you do not cause others to take evasive actions.

YABU (obviously) and very dangerous and I hope you don't cause an accident.

Catsize Tue 01-Oct-13 04:25:49

Not sure why the lorry didn't pull put and grind his axe with the caravan.

Tiredtrout Tue 01-Oct-13 04:30:51

Sorry Edwinia but I think that you were just as at fault, the hgb driver shouldn't have tried to intimidate you and the caravan shouldn't be just say in lane 2. Both sound terrible lazy drivers but, if you saw the caravan as you joined the motorway and made no conscious effort to get around it you caused as much of a problem to other road users. You say you were only on there 4 miles at the hgv beeped 1 mile prior to the junction, so you were unable to overtake a caravan for 3 miles on a motorway that you say was uncongested? Low speed is as dangerous as high speed

IloveJudgeJudy Tue 01-Oct-13 07:58:46

Contrary to most of the people on here, I don't think you were at fault. You don't have to travel at the limit of motorway speed if you don't want to. 50 mph is fine. The HGV was completely at fault. Loads of them do it. They drive far too close to the vehicle in front. Why should you have to go right out if your junction is the next one. The HGV could quite as easily have overtaken the caravan itself. Many HGV drivers like to intimidate other road users. They also drive very close to each other, to use the others' slipstream. There's none of this "two second rule".

southeastastra Tue 01-Oct-13 08:01:43

of course the driver of the hgv was in the wrong and bloody dangerous, if you had to brake suddenly you and the car in front would have no chance

similar has happened to me on m25 and i was driving quite fast, was a foreign driver and i wonder if they actually understand the rules

Funny that my police officer neighbour had no issue with my actions.

The motoway was uncongested in front of me.

Traffic was not congested per se but coming frequently behind tge caravan giving me few, if any, opportunities to move out.

Undertaking is for queuing traffic which it wasn't (this was specifically discussed with my neighbour cos I was talking to her about being pissed off that lorry was trying to force me to break law).

That part of yhe highway code is there to protect me from thr caravan moving into me as I undertake. Especially seeing as he was in lane 1 of 3 before my jpining junction at which point his lane became lane 2. He coukd have realised he was no longer in 1 and decided to move across.

ILetHimKeep20Quid Tue 01-Oct-13 08:07:00

Yabu. It's not undertaking. You don't fall into line and go slower than every other shit driver and your speed, or lack of, is dangerous.

skittycat Tue 01-Oct-13 08:09:24

Why ask if YABU if you are just going to argue against the people that tell you you are?

For what it's worth, I think you caused a problem. The caravan may have been in lane 2 when you approached, but you sitting just behind him in lane 1 would have made it more difficult for him to move into lane 1 even if he wanted to. You say you weren't in his blind spot, but you still could have appeared very close behind in his mirrors so that he would not have been comfortable to make the manouvre across without risking an accident.

Regarding the HGV, he should not have driven in an intimidating way.

24again Tue 01-Oct-13 08:10:44

For heaven's sake - 55 miles an hour - put your foot down!!! Someone going so slowly is quite dangerous on a motorway, Can't stand drivers who seem to think that motorways are for pootling along on - they are to get somewhere fast!

Neena28 Tue 01-Oct-13 08:17:34

My background is road haulage. Mrsterryprachett has this bang on i'm afraid. Although I dont think the lorry driver behaved well, if you are driving all day though this happens so many times (and other very dangerous situations) that the drivers get very frustrated.

Neena28 Tue 01-Oct-13 08:18:46

The caravan driver was the main problem though.

I asked if IABU to feel intimidated by another driver.

Even if I was driving at 30 mph on the motorway the question is IABU to feel intimidated.

It is debatable that I was in the wrong (based on a selection of opinions on here and the opinion of a police officer that knows thw road layout and how drivers suddenly realising they are in lane 2 and panickig at this particular location). But at the end of the day I wasn't asking for comment on that.

HomicidalPsychoJungleCat Tue 01-Oct-13 08:19:29

But you have admitted that you probably had time to overtake the caravan before you got to your junction. The caravan driver was driving dangerously as he was too slow and in the wrong lane. Instead of joining him you sold have overtaken him.

your police officer may have had no issue at all, but you are asking a question in AIBU, which is a thread on which people express their opinions. Getting annoyed when they don't match yours is futile.

FWIW I don't think you were being as unreasonable as the caravan driver, but unreasonable nonetheless to choose not to make safer an unsafe situation when you admit to having time to do so.

Motorway driving in AIBU-never a good mix.Everyone knows best.

I'm getting 'annoyed' because I don't think I'm explaining the scenario clearly.

For example I put 'probably' in italics because I was trying to say that I probably had time to overtake but I wasn't 100% sure.

The HGV driver was an arse that we do know.

plantsitter Tue 01-Oct-13 08:34:03

God people are awful When it comes to driving talk aren't they? Jeremy Clarkson had a lot to answer for. Quite obviously the lorry driver was being a knob ender and there is no excuse for aggressive driving - if you're tired and frustrated take a break.

However I'm with a previous poster - I never argue with hgv drivers. I would've undertaken in this situation, assuming it was safe.

It's because everyone is an expert plant. grin

MrsHoratioNelson Tue 01-Oct-13 08:38:44

I suspect that a PP had it right when they said that the caravan probably felt they couldn't move in because of your position.

"Not in their blind spot" doesn't mean "enough space to move in if they wanted to". 55 is too slow on the motorway unless the weather or congestion dictate otherwise. And it would have been fine to move past the caravan - it is not undertaking in those circumstances.

SuperiorCat Tue 01-Oct-13 08:41:51

I can't see that YWBU at all, you were following the HC.

The caravan hogging the middle lane was in the wrong.

The HGV tailgating and intimidating you was in the wrong.

kiriwawa Tue 01-Oct-13 08:47:34

You were all driving badly but you were driving less badly than the caravan or the HGV wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now