To not want to be intimidated by an HGV driver on a busy motorway.

(238 Posts)

I was on the motorway today. Fairly busy but fluid and freely flowing traffic.

I was travelling at about 55-65mph in the slow lane. I wasn't in a hurry and found myself approaching a car +caravan in lane 2.

As I was doing an acceptable and safe motorway speed and I was in no hurry I decided that I wwasn't going to weavve out to lane 3 to overtake and I wasn't going to break the law by 'undertaking'. I was also approaching my junction. I sat behind the caravan in my lane (ie ensuring I wasn't in the caravan blind spot).

An HGV approached from behind, and continued to drive in my estimation, less than 2 car lengths behind me. It was so close that all I could see in my mirror was the radiator grill. I literally could not see his winscreen. I could not see the number plate.

I touched my brakes gently couple of times to indicate that he was uncomfortably close.

A couple of minutes late rhe was using his horn to tell me to move.

As it was a 4 lane motorway it would have been legal for the lorry to move out to lane 3 if he was tgat desperate. Meanwhile I felt intimidated and unsafe.

Tavv Thu 03-Oct-13 20:19:06

> That expectation must be lowered, however, when you drive like a dick.

So do you think road rage is acceptable and some kind of justified monitoring of other people's driving skills?

Bumpotato Thu 03-Oct-13 20:22:13

Oh good gracious no, but it is a fact of life these days, unfortunately.

kiriwawa Thu 03-Oct-13 21:25:42

I can't believe this thread is still going. But then I can't believe the OP is stubbornly refusing that maybe her driving wasn't brilliant either.

I clearly need to manage my expectations about other drivers!

inabeautifulplace Thu 03-Oct-13 22:58:23

It's the 11th commandment;

Thou must never admit to driving like a twat.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 04-Oct-13 03:53:56

OP is not only denying that she drove badly but is contradicting herself directly in her explanation/proof re: "I had plenty of time to overtake" vs. "Had I overtaken I'd have missed my exit". Pathetic.

mirai Fri 04-Oct-13 04:52:33

Undertaking isn't illegal and it's what I would have done.

ilovecolinfirth Fri 04-Oct-13 06:02:45

Yanbu at all. I hate the way other road users feel its ok to intimidate. There was little you can do as your junction was coming up, and as you correctly state, you cannot undertake as one slow caravan does not mean the motorway is congested.

FergusSingsTheBlues Fri 04-Oct-13 06:40:09

Caravans aren't allowed to go more than 55, I think...in which it's a case if tough luck....lorry should have moved lanes

WMittens Fri 04-Oct-13 08:34:30

Caravans aren't allowed to go more than 55, I think

60mph https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Bumpotato - in my opinion there is never an excuse to drive dangerously. Whether or not the OP could or should have gone past the caravan either in lane 1 or lane 3, the HGV driver was driving dangerously by tailgating her - he did not have to do that.

I have been stuck behind slow drivers, and yes, it is irritating, especially if you have a deadline or an appointment - but I still choose to drive safely.

Better to be late in this life than early in the next.

Bumpotato Fri 04-Oct-13 14:17:21

I didn't say there was an excuse for it, just that it is a fact of life these days.

I personally don't road rage anyone but witness plenty of instances of it and I only do a 10 school/work run twice a day and seldom drive otherwise.

I saw someone speed up and veer towards a car that pulled out to turn right on on to the road I was on in front of me just yesterday. It was an attempt to intimidate the driver and completely unnecessary.

Bumpotato Fri 04-Oct-13 14:18:14

*10 minute

Amateurish Fri 04-Oct-13 14:56:46

The three of you were all driving badly. Brake testing the HGV is particularly dangerous, so definitely YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now