Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think DH should be able to control the volume of his incessant earth-shattering sneezes?

(170 Posts)
ByTheSea Mon 30-Sep-13 21:38:37

They don't ALL have to be THAT loud, do they? He says they are involuntary spasms and he can't help it but I am able to sneeze less loudly for the sake of others' eardrums and hearts. AIBU?

ICameOnTheJitney Mon 30-Sep-13 21:39:28

Yanbu! THis is a pet hate of mine. Self indulgent sneezing. It's not necessary.

NotDead Mon 30-Sep-13 21:39:35

no way. .all loud sneezes are theatrical! of course he can control them. . just has no woah to. .

squoosh Mon 30-Sep-13 21:40:01

YANBU

Some people use sneezes to display their inner drama queen.

CitrusyOne Mon 30-Sep-13 21:40:06

No. My dp is the same. Usually just as the baby has gone to sleep. Great big explosions of sneezes.

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 30-Sep-13 21:46:40

My DH is the same... it makes me jump out of my skin every. single. time. He claims not to be able to control it, but seriously, I worry about the neighbours!

ShatnersBassoon Mon 30-Sep-13 21:48:29

It's just attention seeking. DH does it. Ignore the bad behaviour, praise the good behaviour.

iheartdusty Mon 30-Sep-13 21:48:31

yes!!
echoey great thunderclaps.

And coughing. Not just a few necessary coughs, politely turning away. Oh no, there is a whole racking, gasping spasm that has to happen too.

NoelHeadbandz Mon 30-Sep-13 21:49:24

YASoooooNBU

MY DH does the most ridiculously attention-seeky loud sneezes and it PISSES ME OFF. Yes, you CAN help it, I'm an adult and I know IT CAN BE HELPED.

FUCKWIT.

To make it worse, we work in the same office and when he does it there, I want to murder him.

Apart from that, he's alright really

camtt Mon 30-Sep-13 21:50:31

with you on the coughs! it's like the consumptive on his death bed. I give him a Look, he is all hurt that I am not more sympathetic, but honestly!

pictish Mon 30-Sep-13 21:52:24

You are NOT being unreasonable. No. Not unreasonable. Not one bit.

My dh sneezes not once, but anything from five to nine times, always with a bone rattling, eardum shattering, nerve shredding, fury inducing barky noise.

Ridiculous. I think it makes him a right cunt.

ByTheSea Mon 30-Sep-13 21:52:41

He has a cold now and is sneezing these massive sneezes hundreds of times a day. It is seriously doing my head in. I wonder if anyone has ever used annoying sneezes as grounds for divorce... wink

ByTheSea Mon 30-Sep-13 21:53:47

Are we all married to the same man?

skylerwhite Mon 30-Sep-13 21:54:14

Drives me MENTAL. My DH sneezes really loudly and theatrically every time we go outside into bright sunshine. I don't mind him sneezing, he can't seem to help it, but the over-the-top loudness gets on my goat.

CitrusyOne Mon 30-Sep-13 21:55:03

Mine blows his nose too loudly too. And god help us if he gets man flu a cold.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 30-Sep-13 21:55:55

tell him the best way to sneeze is to bury your nose in a big wodge of tissue and sneeze with your mouth closed. It really clears out the sinuses.

And I defy him to make a loud noise doing it that way.

But if he looks in the tissue afterwards, not only is divorce not unreasonable, but whacking him with a chair and burying him in the back garden would not be an over reaction either.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 30-Sep-13 21:56:17

It's the use of vocal chords that gets me. No need whatsoever. Just let the air out, you don't need to vocalise a sneeze.

TotemPole Mon 30-Sep-13 21:57:11

How do you do a quiet sneeze? When I start the ah ah ah DC runs for cover.

FaddyPeony Mon 30-Sep-13 21:57:17

Omg. Yanbu!!!!

ShatnersBassoon Mon 30-Sep-13 21:57:36

Oh god yes, the huge honking nose blowing. So embarrassing in public. Discretion is a foreign concept to DH.

VivaLeThrustBadger Mon 30-Sep-13 21:58:11

Dh does this. The dog jumps out his skin and leaps up barking and going mad.

Dog settles down, dh repeats.

Dog settles down and dh then walks along landing thudding along like an elephant and sets dog off again.

My nerves are shot to bits.

skylerwhite Mon 30-Sep-13 21:58:17

Also, don't really loud sneezes hurt? If I do one, it feels like I'm going to burst a sinus or something.

Needanewsofa Mon 30-Sep-13 21:58:43

My mum, my father and I all SNEEZE so loudly that everyone comments - "Stop it, Mummy!" Says my 5 year old!!!

Honestly, we simply can't help it - and it actually hurts too :-(

SunshineMMum Mon 30-Sep-13 21:58:43

YANB Are you married to my DH?

runes Mon 30-Sep-13 21:59:33

This thread has really made me laugh grin My dp sneezed today so loud it made 9 month old ds2 cry shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now