Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think teachers are actually better off than those in the private sector

(489 Posts)
coco44 Mon 30-Sep-13 19:53:33

(Mumsnet Bosses
Please may I rephrase the debate in a more measured way)

mirry2 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:02:34

coco44 put your hard hat on grin

StitchingMoss Mon 30-Sep-13 20:03:06

So how would you go about tying pay to performance in teaching?

Euphemia Mon 30-Sep-13 20:03:08

The average UK salary for a female is about £24k. I earn about £25k as a teacher. Meh.

I don't do it for the money. I do it because I bloody love it. smile

I probably couldn't work in the private sector as I couldn't give a monkey's about profit.

echt Mon 30-Sep-13 20:03:13

The teachers' pension is self-funding, OP.

Orangeanddemons Mon 30-Sep-13 20:03:16

Ha ha ha ha. Dh gets bonuses, a company car, private health and other stuff. We don't even get our fucking tea or coffee bought for us.

Johnny5needsinput Mon 30-Sep-13 20:03:17

There is a much wrong with the syntax and sentence construction in your posts I don't even know where to start with them.

Snargaluff Mon 30-Sep-13 20:03:52

'I don't think teaching is a particularly difficult or skilled job.'

Again. You do it then. Otherwise why are you so obsessed with teachers? Weirdy alert

balia Mon 30-Sep-13 20:04:02

Mr Gove, please stop lurking on Mumsnet, you're not fooling anybody.

Euphemia Mon 30-Sep-13 20:04:38

How many years have you tried teaching for, to conclude that it's not skilled or difficult?

StitchingMoss Mon 30-Sep-13 20:05:08

Orange, don't forget we often buy our own resources too!!

coco44 Mon 30-Sep-13 20:05:36

Well how about debating the issues instead Johnny?

I think you might have to explain 'pension is self funding' to the OP as she doesn't seem to be able to grasp concepts easily.

StitchingMoss Mon 30-Sep-13 20:06:02

Are you planning to answer any of these qus OP?

HavantGuard Mon 30-Sep-13 20:06:19

grin Balia

Johnny5needsinput Mon 30-Sep-13 20:06:31

Ok let's start with the issues.

What's your job? That is considered to be the hardest to get in to, according to your last thread.

echt Mon 30-Sep-13 20:06:44

While I don't routinely quiz my acquaintances about their income, I cannot think of one, either in public or private sector who didn't get paid more than me. I was well paid as a teacher in the UK.

Souredstones Mon 30-Sep-13 20:07:55

Public sector employees only have a good pension because they pay more into it. You want a better pension, pay a higher percentage of your salary into one.

Mine is 5.9% of my salary so not that great compared to other parts of the public sector

You can think what you like OP, no problem.

To say it, and pretend there is anything there to debate? Yes, YABVU.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 30-Sep-13 20:08:26

YANBU

StitchingMoss Mon 30-Sep-13 20:08:40

No answers OP?

motherinferior Mon 30-Sep-13 20:08:49

Even if it were true, would this necessarily be a bad thing?

I rather want my children to be taught by people with skills and intelligence and drive. I think those people should be decently paid. They are, after all, doing an incredibly important job. And actually I rate that job more highly than quite a few private sector jobs where ultimately you're working to make your boss rich.

paperclipsarebetterthanstaples Mon 30-Sep-13 20:08:50

Haha - oh op, i wish i had time to start lots of threads on ridiculous topics just to wind people up instead of just grabbing a 5 minute break from marking...

ChampagneTastes Mon 30-Sep-13 20:09:20

Sigh.

Teacher's pensions are paid for by teachers.

Is that easier to understand?

Euphemia Mon 30-Sep-13 20:10:45

Why do people get so incensed about teachers' pay and conditions.

My DH gets paid more than three times what I do, also in Education. He's much cleverer than me, but he's not in loco parentis of 25 children, he doesn't teach anyone to read and write, he works from home most days, and has nothing of the responsibility of my HT, despite being paid twice what she is paid.

No-one bitches about his profession.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now