Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be annoyed at my friend for booking her birthday party...

(69 Posts)
Itsmybluminbirthday Mon 30-Sep-13 18:38:46

On my actual birthday?

That day is not her birthday.

She knew it was my birthday.

Or am I being childish?

Have name changed.

MillyStar Mon 30-Sep-13 18:40:31

To me you're being childish but that's because I think birthdays are absolute tosh when you're getting older and I don't think it's a good thing! I'm 28 and I'd quite like to stay here!!

Did you want a party too? Can you have a joint one? If you want one that day and she is inviting the same people then she sounds like a cow!

OddBoots Mon 30-Sep-13 18:40:46

Does your birthday fall on the nearest weekend to hers? Is your birthday a special one that you were planning your own party for?

ENormaSnob Mon 30-Sep-13 18:41:01

Is it a big birthday?

When is her birthday?

Trills Mon 30-Sep-13 18:41:04

There are two kinds of people in the world

Those who are old enough to read a calendar, who are also old enough to know that sometimes you celebrate your birthday on a more convenient day that is not actually the day you were born.

Those not old enough to read a calendar, who won't know if people from the first group rearrange their birthday celebrations to a more convenient day.

Waferthinmint Mon 30-Sep-13 18:41:33

Is this a joke? Are you 5?

livinginwonderland Mon 30-Sep-13 18:41:34

YABU. She's probably done it then for convenience for her. She probably wasn't even thinking about you.

IAmNotAMindReader Mon 30-Sep-13 18:43:26

YABU and really you know you are.

spatchcock Mon 30-Sep-13 18:44:04

If you are both over 12, YABU.

FirstStopCafe Mon 30-Sep-13 18:47:02

It wouldn't bother me

YANBU. As someone who loves my birthday, I would be so cross if a mate did that to me...

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Mon 30-Sep-13 18:47:39

As long as you're invited to the party, what's the problem?

YouTheCat Mon 30-Sep-13 18:48:50

So does that mean a friend with a similar timed birthday can't celebrate it on the nearest weekend?

You don't own the date you know. What would you do if it was actually on the same day?

HarpyFishwifeTwat Mon 30-Sep-13 18:52:55

I love my birthday and can't understand the expectation on here that only children get a special day once a year. Having said that YABU. It's the most convenient time for your friend to celebrate her special day.

Itsmybluminbirthday Mon 30-Sep-13 18:54:02

If it was the same day, I'd have suggested we have a joint birthday party.

I am invited, but it would be a bit weird sitting there, celebrating somebody elses.. It's also on a school night. Just seems totally random.

wigglesrock Germany Mon 30-Sep-13 18:56:28

Catch yourself on, if course you're being unreasonable. I have about 4 family members, two very close friends and a godson all of whom have birthdays within 9 days of mine - we usually go out/ have parties on a Saturday afternoon/ Friday night, whenever the most amount can get together.

But it sounds like her friend didn't suggest a joint party... She just took her date. And yes, even weirder if it's not a weekend!

CaptainSweatPants Mon 30-Sep-13 19:04:41

Does seem odd
Is it a meal out with a mutual group of friends
Because that would be odd

ModeratelyObvious Mon 30-Sep-13 19:05:58

Maybe she's busy the two nearest weekends?

Itsmybluminbirthday Mon 30-Sep-13 19:07:13

I'd vaguely considered suggesting a joint party.

Oh well! I take the over riding opinion, that I am in fact, unreasonable!

bundaberg Mon 30-Sep-13 19:10:50

i don't think you're being unreasonable!

i wouldn't organise a party of any kind on a close friends birthday in case they were planning on doing anything themselves.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 30-Sep-13 19:11:48

I don't think you're necessarily unreasonable - if she's booked a party, not on a weekend, on your birthday, on a day that's not your birthday..,. That does seem strange.

How good a friend is she? Are either of your birthdays big numbers? Is there a chance she's actually throwing you a surprise party?

SayCoolNowSayWhip Mon 30-Sep-13 19:12:24

Sorry, *on a day that's not HER birthday.

PenguinDancer Mon 30-Sep-13 19:13:10

It depends.

If it's a big deal birthday for her and not for you and its the closet weekend YABU

If not YANBU

Same group of friends? If so that's weird moronic and very snobby I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now