To be worried about this already.

(22 Posts)
BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 16:30:05

So Ds1 has arrived home with a letter about a school residential trip for next year, I have no problem about the actual trip, but absolutely panic at the thought of an overnight coach trip.I went on school trips abroad, but I really panic at the prospect of this.It would do him the world of good to go, first time away from home etc, how do I stop worrying about it already?!

Doinmummy Mon 30-Sep-13 16:31:26

How old is he?

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 16:35:12

He's 8, I just hate the coach bit, I am even thinking of taking him myself, how stupid is that! Why can't they go in the daytime?!

KellyElly Mon 30-Sep-13 16:36:39

In the nicest possible way you are being irrational. He'll have fun. It will be like one big sleepover with all his friends.

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 16:40:31

I suppose I am getting to the bit of parenting that I don't actual like, the bit where you have to cut the apron strings!Dd1 has done school trips, I forced myself to send her, she was fine! When they are away, until they are back, I do spend a lot of time worrying.

Tuppenceinred Mon 30-Sep-13 16:42:08

Don't let him know your reaction to this. The last thing he needs to pick up on is you panicking about this.

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 16:44:28

Yes, I have just said "ooh lovely" etc. Am going to find out a little bit more about it.

Coolmama Mon 30-Sep-13 16:50:02

This is one of those times when you realise that being a mother means you worry all the time! - the trick is not to let your children see it - the school have clearly done this trip before so maybe talk to one of the other mothers whose children did the trip last year. Take KellyElly's advice and a deep breath and let your child enjoy his first little trip down the long road to being independent - and then repeat after me "he will be fine and I will be fine, he will be fine and I will be fine - breathe again and repeat............. endlessly! grin

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 16:55:15

He slept in the crook of my arm for 9 months, how did he grow so quickly?! Only got to do it again twice!

Chusband Mon 30-Sep-13 16:56:31

What exactly worries you about the coach part?

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 17:00:43

The crashing off the motorway in the dark.Yes, not likely but that is what is running through my head.Totally irrational and worst case scenario stuff.Hate the thought of not being nearby.

Coolmama Mon 30-Sep-13 17:58:27

He will be fine and I will be fine - breathe - he will be fine and I will be fine - breathe..... grin

eragon Mon 30-Sep-13 18:41:53

can I put this in proportion for you?

my son went on his first overnight school trip in yr 5 of primary school. He has a long list of food and environmental allergies with a history of requiring dashes to hospital.
I had to do a lot of planning and work to make it ok for him to go, and I was worried. He had a fab time! The thought of a coach crash was the least of my concerns!

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 18:55:48

Thanks, will just have to get over it, can do so well for ages, and then something sets me off all anxious again.

Flatiron Mon 30-Sep-13 19:05:00

If you're anything like me, no amount of reassurance about the chances of any given thing happening being slight, will stop you worrying about that slight chance! Would it help if you knew the coach had seat belts? Many do, nowadays, I think. On the other hand, you might worry more, if you knew it didn't. confused I bet you'll let him go, worry around the time of the journeys, he'll have a great time, and you'll be mightily relieved when he gets back safe and sound!
It never stops, though. I had the whole Ibiza thing last summer shock

friday16 Mon 30-Sep-13 19:49:15

Per mile, coaches are safer than planes and trains. They are, in fact, the safest means of transport there is (rail accidents are less common, but more likely to be fatal; both are ten times safer than cars). Just how did you propose to "take him myself" in a way which isn't, in fact, more dangerous?

Flatiron Mon 30-Sep-13 20:06:24

Maybe if you think you're more in control of something, it feels safer, even if, statistically, it isn't!

BarnYardCow Mon 30-Sep-13 20:48:57

Take him myself would mean, drive it myself, stay in the same area until time to drive home, why I feel that my driving is safer I don't know! I mean, what mother would actually do that?!

I know its hard but you need to let him go.
I understand how you feel though as I am exactly the same with my nine year old even on day trips.
he had one two weeks ago where they got a coach to the train or station,travelled by train to London,then got the tube to the british museum.
I was worried sick all day.
you will worry about him for the rest of his life.
I worry about my 18 year old nephew everytime he gets in his car or gos clubbing!

bdbfan Tue 01-Oct-13 10:51:22

Barnyard. I am a coach driver and have driven plenty of overnight school trips. If you have any particular questions is be happy to answer them for you and hopefully set your mind at rest smile

PedlarsSpanner Tue 01-Oct-13 11:42:49

Fan that is a really kind offer, what a star!

Barnyard, bless you, lots of us have felt similar pangs

BarnYardCow Tue 01-Oct-13 12:13:03

Have filled the form out this morning, will just have to get used to the idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now