to wonder how it will work making unemployed people go to the jobcentre every day?

(114 Posts)
Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:43:22

From where I live, getting the bus to the jobcentre (in the nearest town) costs £5.50 return. So that would be £27.50 per week, or rather a large proportion of JSA. Its 12 miles (very hilly) each way, so I wouldn't have thought many long term unemployed people would be able to cycle it every day (most of the people out of work I know here aren't really in that good health).

Do you get a free bus pass if you're on JSA? All seems a bit mad, even by current standards . . .

Dawndonnaagain Wed 02-Oct-13 10:31:50

I wonder what they're going to do with Carers. Full time Carers in receipt of benefits, are counted as unemployed. Admittedly they don't have to be trying to get a job, but everytime those figures are released, a whole army of carers is included in them. So, 2 million unemployed for over three years, even 1% is a fair amount and I suspect it is more than that.
Oh, and they are going to be including the disabled in this little scenario, too. Now, we are rural, my dh is disabled, I do wonder how he will get to a jobcentre if we have to go onto benefits, which at some point, we will. He can barely walk (uses two sticks) let alone ride a fucking bike!

It's an absolutely crap idea, for all the reasons given above.

I live in a deprived area of Surrey (they do exist) and there are hundreds of claimants. And a tiny job centre.

comingalongnicely Wed 02-Oct-13 09:46:26

@ Tiredmummno1 They'd have to slog to the JC every day then. Can't cater for absolutely everyone.

It was just a thought anyway...

ShakeRattleNRoll Wed 02-Oct-13 09:33:50

Maybe they can have showers in the job centre so people can cool off a bit after cycling miles to get there on a daily basis.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 02-Oct-13 09:26:57

What balls! I live 'rurally' slap bang between 2 towns in North Essex. The town within 'walking distance' about 6 miles, no pavement has no job centre. The other town is nearly 20 miles away. We get no buses and live on one of the main feeder roads to a major port. You cant bike. Its sodding dangerous. The juggernaut drivers can barely keep to the right side of the road, let alone avoid cyclists.
I didn't move here through choice. It was what we could afford!
thankfully I have a job, but my 27yo DS probably wont when he leaves college. I worry myself sick over him!

ImpOfDarkness Wed 02-Oct-13 09:06:32

I can't believe whoever suggested that people living in rural areas should get on their bikes and move to where the jobs are hmm yes because leaving great swathes of the countryside empty and piling everyone into crappy festering urban estates is such a recipe for social harmony.

Rural Suffolk here, no bus service at all, 12 mile walk to nearest job centre.

Tiredmumno1 Wed 02-Oct-13 08:55:00

Comingalong I can't see that working, purely because not everyone owns a computer.

pixiepotter Wed 02-Oct-13 08:47:51

where we live anybody unemployed signs on postally

samandi Wed 02-Oct-13 08:44:59

Who is proposing this? Seems rather pointless and unlikely to happen (not that it will not happen because it's pointless - plenty of pointless things happen).

comingalongnicely Wed 02-Oct-13 08:41:14

Given that most businesses are moving away from physical attendance at meetings that could be held remotely, and given that it'd be cheaper to pay for Internet access than travel to Job Centres on a month by month basis for a lot of people, why can't they require that people log in to the systems from home and apply for all jobs that are suitable in their area?

They could also run "Webinar" sessions where you have to log in and watch/participate in a daily session - Monday, "Improve your CV", Tuesday, "Cover Letters" etc - with the advantage that these could be run from 1 central location in the country, so no massive overheads.

Put in the odd question that has to be clicked on within 60 seconds to ensure people are still there & job's a good 'un.

I'm sure that'd be more productive (and cheaper) than slogging to a Job Centre to sign a bit of paper....

farrowandbawl Wed 02-Oct-13 08:23:05

There's a lot of Pre-election hot air at the moment. I'm hoping that this is part of it as Littlest says.

Freezing energy bills, fuel duty, JSA changes...all they are trying to do is get people on side. They don't actually realise that most of us can see through it and the problems it will cause short and long term. In short, they think we are stupid.

They won't freeze engergy bills nor fuel duty - they never actually do anything that helps - they are bickering over small things in the hope that we will see them as doing something about the cost of living. They're not, they know it and we know it.

UseHerName Tue 01-Oct-13 21:44:42

just think of all the paperwork-at least it'll keep all the civil servants in jobs hmm

littlestgirlguide Tue 01-Oct-13 21:25:10

You would have to ATTEND the Jobcentre every day, not SIGN every day. If its not a signing day, then your Jobcentre can, and should, pay your travel expenses for 'off-cycle' attendance. Ask your advisor.
However, this would cost a bloody fortune and would hardly solve the unemployment crisis.
I can't work out how this will work - there simply isn't enough space in the jobcentres, or enough resources, or enough staff, to manage this.
The other two 'options' (which would be chosen for you, rather than by you) are to some sort of training to remove barriers like poor reading/writing skills, health problems etc, or to do unpaid work. Again, it's not clear how the unpaid work will be managed or who will provide it.

They will not open a load more jobcentres. Over the next couple of years, they are looking to reduce DWP's staff count by 25%. This is, in my opinion, pre election hot air.

Boaty Tue 01-Oct-13 20:24:25

My first reaction was 'what a load of ill thought out tosh'
My second thought was 'what a load of ill thought out tosh'
grin
Unlikely to happen...apart from a handful of people who live on the doorstep of the jobcentres..the practicality of it means it will be unworkable.

More too much swagger and not enough folk smile

knockedgymnast Tue 01-Oct-13 19:19:54

It's all a bit too much dagger and not enough cloak.

Fares are available for any non signing day adviser appointment at the moment so I imagine they will be for daily signers.
Getting a daily appointment though.... Can't do it now so can't see it happening since our staffing has been cut again.

I'm also rural and there is next to no public transport here.

A parent from my DD's school told me they had been told after 6 months signing on that they had to widen their jobsearch to take in 2 major cities that are both around 30 miles away.

All well and good BUT this parent didn't drive. Taking public transport to either city would mean only being able to spend about 3-4 hours there in the middle of the day and having to leave by 3pm to make the last bus home.

TotemPole Tue 01-Oct-13 18:54:46

Yes, the advice and understanding does vary quite a bit between the advisors.

Opalite Tue 01-Oct-13 18:43:46

Nope, it really depends on the advisor though, some are very 'no excuses' and disregard the fact that there are plenty of valid reasons for not being able to do a lot of the things they expect of the claimants

TotemPole Tue 01-Oct-13 18:34:56

Opalite, that's ridiculous. Didn't they do a 'better off' calculation?

Opalite Tue 01-Oct-13 18:30:03

I'm not sure about any changes they are making but the daily thing has been around a while, it's usually for if you've been sanctioned or if they think you're not really looking for a job. I think it's usually hard for someone who works in a jobcentre to understand what it's like for a claimant and sometimes just assume they're not trying. I was told to apply for a job (compulsory) that would have literally left me with about £5 after transport costs.

Opalite Tue 01-Oct-13 18:24:00

You don't actually get to pick which of the 3 options you'd prefer, they vary based on the claimant. I know someone who lives 8 miles away from her local jobcenter and they put her on daily signings, she had to walk or hitch-hike and the jobcenter were aware of this.

Doubtfuldaphne Mon 30-Sep-13 21:41:27

I remember people on 'new deal' were given bus passes..maybe they'd issue them again? Probably not though!

NicknameIncomplete Mon 30-Sep-13 21:40:14

I just want a job thats 16 hours a week or over so that i can sign off. It wouldnt be for less money as i am only getting NMW at the moment anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now