to wonder how it will work making unemployed people go to the jobcentre every day?

(114 Posts)
Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:43:22

From where I live, getting the bus to the jobcentre (in the nearest town) costs £5.50 return. So that would be £27.50 per week, or rather a large proportion of JSA. Its 12 miles (very hilly) each way, so I wouldn't have thought many long term unemployed people would be able to cycle it every day (most of the people out of work I know here aren't really in that good health).

Do you get a free bus pass if you're on JSA? All seems a bit mad, even by current standards . . .

nethunsreject Mon 30-Sep-13 13:45:15

No free bus passes, no. It'd be over 20 quid here too, or takes over an hour for a very fit person each way. Not been thought through really!

Damnautocorrect Mon 30-Sep-13 13:47:51

Maybe they'll open a costa inside so they can 'employ' the people on work fare to staff it?!

That was my first though too. Although from the report I heard on the radio the turning up at the job centre daily was one of three options, so presumably you could choose one of the others.

I can see the point of getting people to attend the job centre daily in order to get help to find a job, but are there actually lots of jobs around? As with the best will in the world you can't magic a job from thin air, no matter how many times you attend the jobcentre.

treaclesoda Mon 30-Sep-13 13:49:05

I wondered about this too. Bus fares are a huge expense, even for people earning a salary.

Fairylea Mon 30-Sep-13 13:49:29

Maybe they'll open loads more job centres... so reducing the number of unemployed... thereby Cameron gets a didn't he do well badge.

Fucker.

Fairylea Mon 30-Sep-13 13:50:32

(To clarify, I mean to make it so everyone has a job centre in walking distance....)

Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:50:37

"Although from the report I heard on the radio the turning up at the job centre daily was one of three options"

The impression I got was that people would be divided into one of three groups, not that they could choose?

Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:51:39

"Maybe they'll open loads more job centres... so reducing the number of unemployed... "

So long as they paid decent wages, it would probably work, that's the mad thing (though would make more sense to hire people at decent wages to build council houses or care for disabled/elderly people, obviously)

HeySoulSister Mon 30-Sep-13 13:52:20

How does a daily trip to the jobcentre help you find a job?

You need an appointment to see an advisor for a start.... They don't just wander about handing job application forms out!

Also, the jobcentre doesn't actually have jobs there for you to apply for

cranberryorange Mon 30-Sep-13 13:53:06

Its a 2hr 20 min round trip on the bus to our nearest job centre because of all the village stops so lets hope the Government have thought of the childcare costs incurred by those attending daily if the appointments dont fall well within school hourshmm

Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:53:23

"I can see the point of getting people to attend the job centre daily in order to get help to find a job, but are there actually lots of jobs around?"

Round here, and I suspect in most rural areas, you probably do better walking round local employers hassling them. (I am an employer & these days I can't go to the shops without getting asked for casual work, sadly I don't need anyone extra sad )

HeySoulSister Mon 30-Sep-13 13:54:19

Our jobcentre helps lone parents by letting you have your review at a local sure start centre instead if the jobcentre in town. Maybe that kind of thing could be expanded

Lj8893 Mon 30-Sep-13 13:54:49

That's crazy! I'm not really up to date about jsa etc and thankfully am not likely to be in that position in the near future. But yeah, if I was it would cost me nearly £7 return a day

NotAQueef Mon 30-Sep-13 13:55:13

According to BBC- the 3 options (of which daily visits to the job centre is one) are:
To still qualify for jobseeker's allowance they will have three options - work placements, such as cleaning up litter; daily visits to a job centre; or taking part in compulsory training, for example, to improve their literacy.

Fairylea Mon 30-Sep-13 13:55:38

I'm not sure it's about reducing unemployment, rather so the Tories think the Jeremy Kyle style folk (after all that's what many Tories perceive the people on jsa to be) actually have to get out of bed and go and do something akin to going into work.

It's a bit ridiculous really. And extremely narrow minded. A bit like conservative policy in general.

pollyblue Mon 30-Sep-13 13:56:13

I've just been scratching my head over Osborne's plans to ensure those on JSA do up to 30 hours per week 'work' for their benefits, in jobs such as street cleaning. I'm wondering if it will just mean - like Work Fare - that employers will no longer have to employ and pay for their own staff.

I's up there with Work Fare as potential vote-grabbing idea, but poorly thought out.

Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:58:17

"Our jobcentre helps lone parents by letting you have your review at a local sure start centre instead if the jobcentre in town. Maybe that kind of thing could be expanded"

Trouble is the sure start centre would be in the same town!

Takver Mon 30-Sep-13 13:59:38

I don't think that places like Pembrokeshire actually exist on the radar of government ministers (not a political point, both parties equally bad)

Don't Jobcentres have job advertisments up any more then? Shows how long it is since I went into one, sorry.

Well they do have to find ways to make sure that the feckless don't sit on their arses all day every day don't they.

Disclaimer; do not take above sentence seriously, and yes coalition I am talking to you as well!!

flaflafla Mon 30-Sep-13 14:00:29

Manchester United will be delighted, instead of paying the likes of Wayne Rooney, £250,000 a week, they can have workfare people playing for them for £60 a week! Can't see any way that could go wrong at all, can you?

Of course that is ridiculous, just as ridiculous as the idea that "employers will no long have to employ and pay for their own staff" because they can set workfare people on instead, and they will be just as good as trained staff.

RubyRR Mon 30-Sep-13 14:00:37

With millions unemployed the job centres will be very busy everyday. We would have a similar cost issue, over £5 return bus ticket each day, it sounds like a plan that makes sense possibly on paper reality is rather different.

WetAugust Mon 30-Sep-13 14:01:56

It's just PR at conference time.

It won't actually happen.

They are closing job centres.

There are not enough DWP staff available to manage this.

Just froth - ignore.

flaflafla Mon 30-Sep-13 14:03:38

I believe people that sign on nowadays just have to sign there name on a form and stick it into a box. There is no seeing of an advisor any more. Although it might be different for different claimants.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now