Its not okay is it? sitting/ standing in the shopping part of the trolley?

(436 Posts)
Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 11:46:50

I'm sure this has been done many times.

I'm thinking about it today though grin

If your child is too big to want or can't fit in the seat part you don't then let them climb in the other part of the trolley?

Filthy dirty feet where I'll put my food.

Standing up (dangerous)

I'm not being unreasonable to suggest that its the seat, or walk right?

I saw this with several families yesterday...it got up my nose wink

Oh and I know there are germs everywhere... this makes it worse

Igloofornow Mon 30-Sep-13 12:01:24

What does what mean? If you are referring to my second post I was correcting my typos.

eatriskier Mon 30-Sep-13 12:02:05

Sometimes its easier to bung my toddler in the main part than have her running riot destroying the store. I know its not that safe but its definitely safer than putting 2 toddlers in a double infant seat trolley with no straps on (which I see a lot in my local Asda hmm)

GangstersLoveToDance Mon 30-Sep-13 12:02:27

Why? Toddlers are just as germy as my 5 year old.

Yes, my 5 year old could walk...as could a two year old. In fact, walking a two year old along is very often easier because they can't run so bloody fast.

Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 12:02:45

Maybe its where I live?

Super rural. The boots and shoes are covered with horse/dog poo! shock

I know germs are everywhere. Why add to it though?

miffybun73 Mon 30-Sep-13 12:03:20

YANBU, It should NEVER be allowed and most supermarkets have signs up saying that it is not permitted.

MoominsYonisAreScary Mon 30-Sep-13 12:04:13

Doesnt bother me, as long as they are being watched so they dont fall out what does it matter.

Im sure lots of parents do it to stop toddlers touching all the food/ messing about etc

It would probably be more annoying if you were constantly trying to avoid hitting escaping toddlers with your trolley

GeeTeeEff Mon 30-Sep-13 12:04:25

My youngest is 6. She enjoys a ride in the trolley, I can get my shopping done quicker, win win. As I said before she knows not to stand up or attempt to climb out. No harm done. Don't see what the gripe is.

Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 12:04:56

I have 3 children. My youngest is 4. I have taught her that she sits down, holds my hand ...or walks next to me.

That is how to behave in a supermarket surely?

My daughter is far from perfect and needs reminding many times sometimes smile Guess I'm up-tight?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 30-Sep-13 12:06:10

Yes, 5/6 year olds can walk.

That's the problem and that is why my spirited 5 year old ds is often in the big bit of the trolley if I have to take him to the supermarket (I try not to!).

OP - live and let live. You stick to your parenting decisions and I'll stick to mine!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 30-Sep-13 12:06:22

My just turned five year old occasionally goes in the trolley, the seat is occupied by the toddler.

I do it because if we have to dive in on the way home from school then he is worn out and irritable and it is quicker to just shove him in and grab the few things I need than have to drag him by the hand round the shop with him moaning and getting under other people's feet.

I do try not to take him, but once in a while needs must.

Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 12:08:14

gangster I understand the need for very little ones to be contained.

But, from about 5 they should have learnt to stop bolting and behave?

Just my opinion.

Thanks for all the opinions. smile

GeeTeeEff Mon 30-Sep-13 12:09:13

I have 3 children. My youngest is 4. I have taught her that she sits down, holds my hand ...or walks next to me.

Yes, my 6 yo can do all of the above too and knows how to behave in a supermarket, sometimes she enjoys a ride in the trolley reading a magazine, that's all.

GangstersLoveToDance Mon 30-Sep-13 12:09:21

Of course feminine. As I have taught mine.

Unfortunately, my children don't always behave as the 'Good parenting manual' dictates. Sometimes my 5 year old is tired from school and prefers to sit rather than be dragged around.

I choose my battles. A 10 minute shop in Tesco is easier when they are both in a metal cage on wheels. So I use it grin

MistressDeeCee Mon 30-Sep-13 12:10:28

When my DCs were young I let them sit in the trolley. They liked being wheeled around & it saved me from having to keep an eye on them, chase them down the aisles etc. They found it fun so I wasnt bothered at all. I dont even see why that would be a problem, to be honest. Food is in wrappers and also in supermarket carrier bags, isnt it? not that I thought much about that aspect, either..

MoominsYonisAreScary Mon 30-Sep-13 12:10:38

My youngest two are 2 & 7months. I havent needed to because I dont go shopping but I can see how having the 2 year old in the trolley is a better and easier option than walking him

When he is 4 it might be different

happybubblebrain Mon 30-Sep-13 12:13:01

My 7 year old sits in the trolley because its fun; and there isn't enough of that around these days, what with the moan culture we have in this country.

Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 12:13:04

Gee then you are doing the supermarket all wrong grin

gangster I'm sure your child could fit in the seat still though?

When mine is tired etc...that is what I do! perfect mum that I am wink

AnaisHendricks Mon 30-Sep-13 12:14:04

My DD could follow me nicely around the supermarket aged three.

My DS aged six would bolt and run out into the car-park. He can walk, obviously, but he has autism.

If there's going to be a blanket ban there needs to be more than one or two wheelchairs with shopping baskets on in each shop.

Pushing a McClaren Major containing a six year old and holding a basket or two of shopping is quite hard.

Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 12:14:26

moomins you would qualify for a double seat. Fear not!

OOAOML Mon 30-Sep-13 12:14:49

I do wonder about the germs part of it - and I know that the trolleys are outside and probably not the cleanest to start with. You'd freak here - the done thing seems to be not only children in the main part of the trolley, but quite often people put their own pull-along shopping trolley in the big shopping trolley, fold up buggies and put them in, crutches/walking sticks, the lot.

I am overly fussy about germs and if I am buying a lot I tend to put a basket inside the trolley and put stuff in there. But my husband frequently tells me I am crazy about dirt so mine is probably not the most reasonable view to take.

HouseAtreides Mon 30-Sep-13 12:15:45

My younger DD is almost 7 and goes in the trolley in Ikea with her DS (console, not son...). Otherwise she drives me up the wall vaccillating between LOOK AT THIS!! and whiny boredom/my legs ache/are we at the cafe yet.

Sirzy Mon 30-Sep-13 12:16:19

Having had to catch a child about to tip themselves out of the trolley when they stood in the middle it's not something I would ever let DS do. Can't say the germ thing bothers me though

Feminine Mon 30-Sep-13 12:17:29

In America ( I think they had them here for a while) they attach a car type thing to the trolley!

What a massive pain...they are SO heavy!

Anais yes, they should have more varied and adaptable trolleys - I agree.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 30-Sep-13 12:17:29

OP - I have a toddler who is in the seat - where should I put my five year old?

Stop being so preachy. Having them in the trolley doesn't hurt anyone and if it gets the shopping done quicker then that is of benefit to everyone.

GangstersLoveToDance Mon 30-Sep-13 12:17:36

I have a 3 and 5 year old. The seat is needed for the youngest.

My 5 year old is very tall for his age...No way I'd squeeze him into a seat next to ds 2 on the double ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now