Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

to point out that people who say "choritso" for chorizo...

(355 Posts)
MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 09:56:43

... are assigning an Italian pronunciation to a Spanish word?

You don't need to do a Manuel-style "choreeeeetho" thing. Chorizo with a z sound is fine by me if you prefer, as it's a valid in many dialects.

Guyropes Sun 25-Jan-15 17:39:23

Good point hissy! Much easier to pronounce.

Hissy Fri 23-Jan-15 07:03:33

Choriço (pronounced shore ee so) is also a traditional product of Portugal.

As a speaker of Portuguese, that's how I say it.

HTH grin

StarsOfTrackAndField Fri 23-Jan-15 00:43:33

But haunted that is now the commonly used pronunciation in England. Going 'bwahh the Spanish pronounce it x or y way' is like king cnut shouying at the waves.

kennyp Thu 22-Jan-15 22:14:50

i like pronouncing paprika as papricker and not papreeeka. god knows which one is right but it's only me and nigella who i copied it from who says it like papricker (emphasis on the pap).

going slightly off piste. sorry.

DonnaTheKamikaze Thu 22-Jan-15 21:20:13

why would anyone bother digging this up to add a point that had been made at least 20 times on the thread in 2013?

I read one of the early comments, thinking 'oooh me too!'

It was me with a different name FFS, it's making my head spin!

CharliePan Thu 22-Jan-15 21:17:52

Damsel - I offer my face. Be gentle.grin

hauntedhenry Thu 22-Jan-15 21:17:43

But it's not anglicised, is it? That's the problem with it, it's blooming italianicised! Why?! I have no problem with people saying pay-ella for paella, but this 'choritzo' thing is just wrong!

Crumblevision Thu 22-Jan-15 21:06:48

Bollocks. I say Choritso and I am proud grin

DamselNotInHerDress Thu 22-Jan-15 21:04:07

Countess you must know my grandmother! Huge fan of mange tout she is grin
Also likes to say "Vicky verky" rather than vice versa confused

Now, I can't be arsed to trawl back through the hundreds of posts, just wanted to check, has anyone pointed out the utter tediousness that is panini/panino yet? Anyone that asked for a panino in my company would have their face rammed into the fucking press and cooked on the hot plate for sheer twattery grin

CharliePan Thu 22-Jan-15 20:57:45

Blu - it's about 50 miles from here..and you are right. JC is indeed a nob.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Thu 22-Jan-15 20:50:04

My mum says coreezo, I don't know why. She would argue it is correct, I am sure.

ChocLover2015 Thu 22-Jan-15 20:43:47

Spain not Italy.Have got Italian on the brain at the moment!

ChocLover2015 Thu 22-Jan-15 20:38:04

we are in England not Italy and therefore it is perfectly acceptable to to Anglicise

Blu Thu 22-Jan-15 16:04:38

And can someone tell me how the town of Penistone is pronounced please, because I am sure the it is not the way it was pronounced on a recent episode of Top Gear by Jeremy Clarkson, the knob (pron:nob) .

Surely it is PEN-is-tun?

APlaiceInTheSun Thu 22-Jan-15 16:00:34

thanks to this thread, I have said "choritso, I'm sorry I mean choreezo" every we have eaten the spicy Spanish sausage in the last 4 months.

DP looks at me like this hmm

flexitim Thu 22-Jan-15 15:55:58

I never heard that about Moet & Chandon - I plead guilty, always thought it was moway. My error reinforced of course by "Killer Queen"'s "she keeps the moway and shandonn in her pretty cabinet".
Just as everyone (including superfan Martin Amis when he doesn't catch himself) talks about the author of "Lolita" as Vladimir Nabberkoff, as do the Police in "Don't stand so close to me". Apparently, Russian speakers tell me, it's more along the lines of Ner-bokk-off. Excuse my pitiful attempts to indicate pronunciation - anyway the stress is meant to be on the "bok" rather than the "nab".

Blu Thu 22-Jan-15 14:28:12

I would love to see a MN Guide To Pronounciations - with a list of the correct way to say the new foods we are introduced to.

It would have saved my kwin o-a faux pas (fo pah) .

Blu Thu 22-Jan-15 14:15:52

I think 'peets-a' is OK, but the other poster's mother says 'pits - a'

As for pronunciation of Indian dishes and ingredients - the way the Sylheti Bengali people I worked with pronounced 'Garam Masala' is completely different to the way my Tamil ILs pronounce it. This goes for many ingredients.

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 22-Jan-15 13:56:46

Or maybe that needs a whole thread of its own..? smile

AWholeLottaNosy Thu 22-Jan-15 13:55:06

Personally it's people who don't pronounce 'croissant' properly that gets my goat.

It's 'cwa-sson' not 'cross-ont'!

squoosh Thu 22-Jan-15 13:53:01

'Good to see people caring and also good to see some jokes getting cracked.'

People 'care' about the most trivial of matter on MN.

tasteslikechicken Thu 22-Jan-15 13:51:03

Even more annoying is when people pronounce a well known champagne as "Mow-ay"!
Rather than "Mow' et"

squoosh Thu 22-Jan-15 13:49:00

Well it's become the anglicised pronunciation for many so I'd imagine it's here to stay.

flexitim Thu 22-Jan-15 13:45:15

Well, I'm delighted to have revived this zombie thread (seems a fitting tribute to The Walking Dead, which I just finished series 4 of last night), generating 3 fresh pages of comment in a few hours. Loads of intelligent comments from all sides, and just a few of the real zombie-type remarks ("who cares?" "doesn't matter"). Good to see people caring and also good to see some jokes getting cracked.
It's annoying that this site (which I joined solely to pitch into this zombie chat) doesn't allow one post to link to another as a specific response. But meantime: @Namechangeyetagaintohide: I think that's a very good idea: "choriso" is probably the most internationally-usable pronunciation.
@squoosh: nobody says it matters if you don't pronounce it one way: it's the one way people do pronounce it that matters: for all the various Spanish pronunciations, none of them are anything like choritso.

squoosh Thu 22-Jan-15 12:57:07

There's so much variation among Spanish speakers as to how 'chorizo' is pronounced that I don't think it matters a jot if we don't pronounce it in one particular way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now