Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to point out that people who say "choritso" for chorizo...

(275 Posts)
MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 09:56:43

... are assigning an Italian pronunciation to a Spanish word?

You don't need to do a Manuel-style "choreeeeetho" thing. Chorizo with a z sound is fine by me if you prefer, as it's a valid in many dialects.

MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 10:08:30

"It's natural to give an anglicised pronounciation to foreign words"

But it's not anglicised though.

Parmarella Mon 30-Sep-13 10:09:18

Only if OP and others also stop saying lah-tay to latte

Clawdy Mon 30-Sep-13 10:10:06

It's a bit like saying pinot "greejeeo" when it should be "greejo"! Even DH still says it...

FavoriteThings Mon 30-Sep-13 10:10:36

Now look here. I have bought the stuff on a few occasions, as it is recommended on here. It is rubbish I tell you! Husband doesnt like it, kids complain, even the animals turn their noses up at it!
So how to pronounce it? I dont care! grin
Good value though [if you use it all].

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:10:37

hahahah i make a point of asking for a 'lar-tay' in the 'spoons to avoid sounding like said pretentious wanker,

Well I'd much rather be thought of as a pretentious wanker than be deliberately wrong.

Choreetho, choreetho, CHOREETHO!

MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 10:11:24

Anyway, I need to finish my expresso now and go out. wink

MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 10:12:08

Mind you, chorizo gives me rampant indigestion. Not sure why I care, really.

OrangeOpalFruit Mon 30-Sep-13 10:12:09

What about paella. No 'll' sound in that, it's more like pae-ya. And the BBC constantly misprounces Beijing. In Mandarin it is a hard 'j' type sound not a soft 'zz'. Honestly.

Habbibu Mon 30-Sep-13 10:12:39

I have no objection to anglicized forms, but as OP says, it's not anglicized, it's cod-Italian-icized. A plain z or s sound would be anglicized.

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:12:50

eSpresso darling please!! grin

badtime Mon 30-Sep-13 10:13:15

This drives me round the fucking bend. It's not hard - choreetho (usual Spanish pronunciation) or choreeso (usual latin-American pronunciation) are both okay, even in Spanish.

I don't understand why people seem to think that 'choreetho' is more pretentious than 'choritso'. Neither of they contains the usual English pronunciation of 'z'. Why is it more pretentious to be right than to be wrong? And surely 'choreeso' is less pretentious than either?

I blame Delia.

MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 10:13:46

Did you miss the wink Burberry?

CatAmongThePigeons Mon 30-Sep-13 10:13:53

I get so irritated by the choritzo pronunciation, choreetho is so say, much less harsh.

I can be found shouting at the TV when people mispronounce it. blush

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:14:09

have discussed the BBC/Beijing thing at length and we came to the conclusion that the BBC do it on purpose to show their contempt for the Chinese.

MissDD1971 Mon 30-Sep-13 10:14:39

livinginwonderland - bwahahahaha. and quite valid. grin

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:14:50

no mardy i was joking along...
drink some more expresso

EverythingInMjiniature Mon 30-Sep-13 10:15:25

Possibly acceptable to say choritso if Italian, as it is an italianised version of the word. It's not anglicised though, just mispronounced.

Wabbitty Mon 30-Sep-13 10:17:23

You don't want to know how I was pronouncing chipotle sauce before I found out how it was actually pronounced

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:17:56

I wonder if there is a Spanish mumsnet where the mums are arguing about how to pronounce 'baked beans' or 'marmite' in order to prove how cultured they are.
- somehow i doubt it.....

It's nada to do with being cultured Burberry.

I studied Spanish and have immediate Spanish family. Why would I go out of my way to butcher their beautiful language confused

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:25:31

perhaps not you bunny - I speak Spanish too as do many people.
anyway i do not care that much, I hear English 'butchered' every day grin

My mom says pitsa for pizza.

I try not to implode.

But she pronounces my name wronh, so really what chance has she got with other words?

Sigh.

I'm not named after a food stuff, btw.

grin

BurberryQ Mon 30-Sep-13 10:29:35

ummmm ...confused but it is 'pitsa' isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now