to point out that people who say "choritso" for chorizo...

(275 Posts)
MardyBra Mon 30-Sep-13 09:56:43

... are assigning an Italian pronunciation to a Spanish word?

You don't need to do a Manuel-style "choreeeeetho" thing. Chorizo with a z sound is fine by me if you prefer, as it's a valid in many dialects.

CrabbyBigBottom Tue 01-Oct-13 11:26:20

Tech how can they expect to remain a bastion of middle-classness when they display such an appalling lack of grammar! I think I would have fainted! shock grin

FrussoNeedsMoreSleep Tue 01-Oct-13 11:28:05

I like to say chur-ritz-o because it sounds twatish.
I also say quo-sont again sounds twatty, but if have to liven up my supermarket shop with a 4mth old somehow, plus he giggles when I say things twatty grin

gallopinghorse Tue 01-Oct-13 11:34:55

Can somebody tell me how prezzo should be pronounced? My sis and I cannot agree!

gordyslovesheep Tue 01-Oct-13 11:35:06

If all I have to worry about is being judged by a psued on my pronunciation of a type of sausage I am fine with that!

Beastofburden Tue 01-Oct-13 11:50:54

LOL

I hope that people aren't doing this to be judgy. Language is fun and interesting. And once you've learned a language you can't unlearn it. So if I know how to pronounce something in French I am bound to notice if someone pronounces it weirdly.

Judgy- not so much. There are still a lot of languages I can't speak. In fact, I can only speak European ones. No Arabic, no Chinese, no Hindi- there must be shedloads of things I say wrong.

BurberryQ Tue 01-Oct-13 11:51:21

prezzo - pretzo like pizza (pitza) or mezzanine (metzaneen)

And why did the BBC always call Pinochet Pinoshay?

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 01-Oct-13 13:44:03

I live in Florida where there are many Spanish speakers and Spanish surnames. Spanish is the second language most people learn in school. Nearly everyone makes an effort to pronounce Spanish words properly (as in cho-REE-so), except interestingly, the name of the state.

gallopinghorse Tue 01-Oct-13 14:27:30

I knew it! Thanks Burberry!

MardyBra Tue 01-Oct-13 18:00:17

Wow. There's two choritso threads now. Hot topic or what. grin

angeltulips Wed 02-Oct-13 21:05:26

Burberry -

Who tf pronounces mezzanine "metzanine"?!

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 02-Oct-13 21:54:15

I do, Angeltulips. You gotta problem with that? angrygrin

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 02-Oct-13 21:59:16

And it's HoeGHaaaarder for Hoegaarden. You gather together a lot of phlegm to pronounce the g in the back of your throat and don't pronounce the N. Of course if you did that in a British pub, the barman would think you were a complete tosser and have no idea what you wanted, and would probably hand you a Babycham to get rid of you quickly.

angeltulips Wed 02-Oct-13 22:46:58

Yeah I do

<peers menacingly*>

* which is probably pron

angeltulips Wed 02-Oct-13 22:47:34

* which is probably pronounced menazingly

--I meant to say if I could type on my phone

LostMarbles99 Wed 02-Oct-13 23:32:54

Form an orderly queue for the grips please!

Reading football scores out to Dh...

Is it really pretentious to say rayal sothiadad rather than ree-ul socky-dad?

Can football fans even be pretentious? wink

SirKumPherence Thu 03-Oct-13 00:04:17

Focaccia is pronounced "foh cah cha", with no "eee" sound.

Panini has become anglicised to mean one sandwich now sad. But I won't use it (will ask for a sandwich, roll or the neat get-around above of "One of those...").

I wouldn't ask for two cappucini in the UK, though.

eatriskier Thu 03-Oct-13 07:00:04

beyond we definitely can be pretentious too. my mates are all ray-al sothiadadth (or however you would phonetically type that soft d) people. none of us are that good with Russian teams though...

Eat, I gave up trying to type a soft d grin

Tavv Thu 03-Oct-13 12:27:27

Chorizo is a horrible food. If it didn't exist then we wouldn't have to have a word for it at all grin

LAK11 Mon 07-Oct-13 21:15:24

Chorizo is lush, proper pronunciation is mandatory, after all how many of you take your children to the tzooo - lose the fucking 't' FFS........ Otzone in the atmosphere??? tzylophone??? anyone??? I am a Spanish pronunciation 'Natzi' - ha, ha.... the Wizard of Otz????? And breathe, rant over....

Alicadabra Mon 11-Nov-13 19:22:56

I've been confused by the chorizo thing for years because when I first encountered it I was told by a chef - very emphatically - that it should be pronounced choreetso, so that's how I've always said it. But having learned Spanish, I couldn't understand why. It's taken this thread to make me realise that the chef in question was an idiot mistaken.

I'm probably saying latte, pizza and all the rest of it wrong too. Perhaps I should make myself a little memo card to carry around and pull out when shopping/eating out?

hottiebottie Mon 11-Nov-13 20:28:16

DD today was telling me about someone's cousin who's a "massoos". "A what?" "A massoos". "What's that then?" "Someone who gives people massages." "Oh - you mean a MASSEUSE" - says I, the proper French way. "No, it's pronounced 'MASSOOS'". hmm grin

hottiebottie Mon 11-Nov-13 20:52:56

...unless of course "masseuse" pronounced the French way actually means something entirely different from an American "massoos" ...blushgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now