AIBU to have just done this?

(19 Posts)
MangoTiramisu Mon 30-Sep-13 07:22:12

I think AIBU as I am sitting here feeling really bad.
I just left a car park and as I pulled out of the parking space I heard a little kind of clunk. I got out of the car and looked at the front of the other car. It seemed to look a bit worse for wear. However, when I looked at my car there was no damage, only a scuff of mud on my wheel where I think I clipped their bumper. At the time I thought, there's no way I've done that. Also I don't live in the UK and I was once in an accident where another car reversed into me when I was parked and she actually reversed out of her path, did a C curve into the side of my car causing a lot of damage. She told me to get stuffed and I went to the police and they told me it wasn't an offence to back into my car confused.

Back to the story. The other persons car looked like it had a well scuffed bumper, but again not sure that my little wobble caused ALL of that as mine all rubbed off with a bit of fairy liquid. I did hang around for 5 mins and look for a pen to write a note but didn't have one. So I left. I also left because I think I was in a daze/ panic at having bumped car when I have sold it and am just hanging onto it for a few days.

Now I am crapping myself that the police are going to come and I am a foreigner and all. I want to move back to England!!!

WIBU

Chippednailvarnish Mon 30-Sep-13 07:25:25

Yabu.
Treat people how you want them to treat you.

WF Mon 30-Sep-13 07:32:49

They probably won't you know but why don't you pop into the local station and report it yourself. Say that there was no damage on your car, that you were pretty sure that you hadnt damaged theirs, hung around and no one turned up. They ll take details but you probably won t hear of it again. The main thing is that your mind will be set at rest

LackingEnergy Mon 30-Sep-13 09:30:48

If there was no obvious extra damage to the other car I wouldn't worry too much. Certainly wouldn't bother reporting it

IamboredandwanttoseehowlongIca Mon 30-Sep-13 09:34:03

YABU!

Also you do know that you can damage another's car without damaging your own.

Stop trying to justify your actions, and do the thing you know is right.

livinginwonderland Mon 30-Sep-13 09:37:59

YABU, you should have left a note or gone to the police and reported it.

MangoTiramisu Mon 30-Sep-13 09:41:56

I did actually go back to the supermarket after I wrote this to see if car was still there to put a note on window but it had gone.

I'm actually feeling really down in the dumps now. I know I bashed their car, but I hate this feeling of "I'm a foreigner, I have to watch that I not get into an argument with anyone". I think part of the reason why I off'd it is because I've had a few run-ins with motorists here e.g. taxi drivers cutting shouting at me out their car to hurry up, 4 people bumping into me and on every occasion when I've got a bit assertive I've been shown the Johnny Foreigner card e.g. this is not your country, why don't you go home and called a few racist terms.

We are moving back to the UK next year and I can't bloody wait. I feel tired and weepy. I was actually driving around trying to sort out our move. I've had a lot of adrenalin running thru my veins trying to get things sorted and now I feel overwhelmed. There is a bit of a scuff on my car it seems, not a biggie, but someone is buying it off us on Monday and I think I need to go get it polished off before they see it thru their magnifying glass.

Rooners Mon 30-Sep-13 09:46:38

It sounds as though you cannot have done that sort of damage to their car because there was nothing to show for it on yours.

Paint would have had to have been transferred at least. Unless your bumper is made of titanium or something.

I would put money on it that the damage was pre-existing.

MadeOfStarDust Mon 30-Sep-13 09:48:16

If you have sold your car and are "just hanging on to it for a few days" do you "own" your car for insurance purposes or are you driving it around illegally?

If the transfer of ownership has taken place you might find yourself in more trouble than you think.......

MangoTiramisu Mon 30-Sep-13 09:49:47

No it was my wheel, not my bumper. Cars get filthy here in a day and so it looked like a lot of dirt on his plastic bumper. My car has an abrasion on the wheel arch so I may have scratched his bumper. His car was a bit knackered so I wasn't sure what was me and what was other.

MangoTiramisu Mon 30-Sep-13 09:50:34

No, we only have a deposit and transfer is next week.

Rooners Mon 30-Sep-13 09:51:47

This is the problem...if you give your details, some people will be great about it, others will see you coming and take you for a whole new car basically, when your contribution to the damage was minimal.

It is a difficult thing.

MangoTiramisu Mon 30-Sep-13 09:54:05

Yes Rooners. I was in a traffic jam, a lorry came along and tried to squeezr past me, knocked off my wing mirror then he tried to put in a claim against ME! In the end I got nothing.

Chippednailvarnish Mon 30-Sep-13 11:43:18

Stop making excuses, you hit a car and drove off. The rest of the information you are giving is irrelevant and changes nothing.

Fuzzysnout Mon 30-Sep-13 11:56:34

I am all for honesty, but it sounds as though you may not have done any damage at all. Please don't stress & worry over such a small thing. No one has been harmed and in all probability they will be unaware anyway. Take care and let this one go, it's really not worth worrying over.

AutumnLeafMyArse Mon 30-Sep-13 11:56:43

If you were unable to leave your details you should have reported the incident to the police within 24 hours. The reason I know that? Someone damaged my car badly 2 weeks ago without leaving their details. It's only because a witness came forward that I found out who hit my car (the witness saw the driver get out of her car after hitting my car, look at the damage, get back in her car and park further down the road!) I have reported her to the police and deservedly so.

Somebody did this to my car last week but left a bit more damage... I was heart broken I'd only had the car 2 days sad the bumper needs sanding and filling and re spraying just got a quote for £300 it just seems so unfair that because nobody saw it and the didn't leave the details its now down to me to pay!!!

AutumnLeafMyArse Mon 30-Sep-13 12:57:17

Exactly the position I'd have been in pretty if it hadn't been for the witness coming forward. Why the hell should we have to pay for other peoples mistakes? My insurance excess alone would have cost me £175.00. Makes my blood boil.

Yep autumn... my excess is £400 so its not an option. .. ah well looks like Christmas will be on a smaller scale this year smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now