Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Should I be worried about my sons' weight?

(97 Posts)
Redtartanshoes Sun 29-Sep-13 19:55:18

My ds is 5 1/2. he is tall for her age (about 3"9) and quite a bit boy. He weighs about 5 1/2 stone.

He is the biggest in his class, and is obviously in clothes bigger than age (9-10) but to me he seems fine. He is happy, bright and doing well at school.

Is he much bigger than "normal"? (Whatever normal is?!)

Bakingtins Sat 05-Oct-13 04:14:11

How can anybody be saying this is a child who is "a bit big"?

For his height, he is on the 100th BMI percentile. To be at the top of the healthy weight range (85th BMI percentile) he would need to be 2 stone lighter. The average child of that height (50th BMI percentile) is 3 stone 3lb.

OP he has a serious weight problem and you need to get some help for him now. I'd go straight to the GP and ask for referral to a dietician/paediatrician.

Driz Sat 05-Oct-13 02:55:37

Yes. A little.
However, my children were also big at that age but they did slim down very quickly so it doesn't necessarily mean that it is a huge ongoing problem, but you should be aware.

nooka Sat 05-Oct-13 02:43:05

My children are both tall, dd very much so and I have never found that BMIs assessed her as overweight. It's a measure of height compared with weight so being tall really will not distort the outcome.

ds for a while was so underweight that some calculators gave error messages but that's another matter surely? Just for reassurance he is perfectly healthy, just seems genetically predisposed to carry very little fat (eats a ton and is pretty active, doctors always seem delighted) and has filled in a bit now he is a teenager.

MajorieDawes Sat 05-Oct-13 01:54:36

Defineme

You do realize that child bmi categories are not the same as adult ones? A bmi of 24.5 is also obese for a child.

defineme Fri 04-Oct-13 23:32:20

Ignore the hysteria op... 26 BMI is not a disaster....24.5 BMI is fine.
More exercise, smaller portions and healthier choices...you can soon sort that out.

lazydog Fri 04-Oct-13 23:28:33

LOL @ akachan... Doh! Wish I'd read to the end of the thread grin

lazydog Fri 04-Oct-13 23:26:52

My 10.5 yr old ds2 is pretty skinny, but healthy and energetic with it. He is 4'10" tall and weighs 73lbs, so that'd be 5st 3lbs.

clam Fri 04-Oct-13 23:26:00

grin akachan

akachan Fri 04-Oct-13 23:11:04

What this thread desperately needs is some heights/weights of other posters' children.

Can anyone oblige?

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 04-Oct-13 22:45:29

My 7 and 8 year old both weigh 3.5 stone. Both are quite tall.

bababababoom Fri 04-Oct-13 22:42:20

My son is 6, 3ft11 and weighs just under 3 stone. He is very active though, never stops running.

On an average day he eats (example):

Breakfast: Weetabix, banana
Snack: apple, breadsticks
Lunch: Sandwich with quorn ham and cheese, or with hummus, Vegetable sticks, crisps, yogurt, fruit
Snack: Fruit, or one plain biscuit, or cereal bar
Dinner: Lasagne or spaghetti bolognese made with quorn, or vegetable risotto, or quorn fillets with potatoes and broccolli, followed by yogurt and fruit
Bedtime: Milky drink.

It does sound like your son is overweight. But personally I would try to make small changes before making a big issue of this to your son, taking him to the gp etc. I became a chubby child around the age of 9 or 10, and later developed an Eating Diisorder for which I was hospitalised. I'm not saying that to make you panic, but to let you know you're doing the right thing in not burying your head in the sand and in taking some action. Your son is young, and his relationship with food can be changed now, which will benefit the rest of his life. You're a great parent doing a great thing.

Just focus on maintaining a positive and healthy self image, don't link weigth with self worth, never make him feel greedy, and don't single him out, I would talk about eating more healthily as a family without mentioning his weight. Talk about how our bodies need all kinds of foods, some they need more of than others, etc, then focus on healthy balance, and becoming more active - and your son's weight will hopefully stabilise and he will slim down as he grows. If you don't see that happening then maybe consider the gp at that point?

tiggyhop Fri 04-Oct-13 01:49:48

My ten year old ds, who is 4 ft 9 weighs 5 stone 5 and is solid.

Sunnysummer Fri 04-Oct-13 01:42:12

He is heavy - and looking is not always a good test, as so many kids are now overweight that our perceptions of average are often a bit askew (though one that's often mentioned is that at this age you should be able to see their ribs). The height can also be a bit misleading, as children who are eating a little too much also tend to grow faster than peers.

But none of us can give you a form answer without actually meeting your son - perhaps you could go to your GP or HV? If they do think that he could do with a few lifestyle changes then it should be easy at this age, or alternatively they may check up on any other causes.

nopanicandverylittleanxiety Fri 04-Oct-13 01:31:04

he does sound overweight and you could do with making some changes

BrandybuckCurdlesnoot Mon 30-Sep-13 22:56:36

My 5 and (just over a) half year old is 3 ft 9 and weighs 3 stone 3 pounds. It's good you're planning on adjusting things if necessary.

Retroformica Mon 30-Sep-13 22:45:18

Well done OP. recognising there is a problem is the first step. It easy to stick your head in the sand and be in denial but you can make huge changes with little baby steps.

Can you get the health visitor on board or even us mumsnutters? Get all the info and support you can.

With your DS talk about being healthy and avoid saying diet.

My DS (all of em) are the opposite end weight wise. My 5 year old is 2 stone 5 and tiny. He's also bright and bubbly but just at the very bottom end if the percentile chart. Yet he eats a great variety of healthy stuff.

Today

Breakfast - scrambled egg and tomato
Lunch - cheese and cucumber sandwich, plum, water, seeds/nuts
Snack - small amount of cereal with milk
Tea - fish pie and veg, greek yogurt with honey

Twattybollocks Mon 30-Sep-13 22:34:25

I also don't think 3ft 9 is hugely tall for his age. You must have to take up his trousers by 6 inches if he's in 9-10 age clothes as my son is 8.5, slightly taller than average and i have just had to send back size 9-10 school trousers as they were 2 inches too long (and about 4 inches too big round the waist) he is 4ft5 inches, and weighs about 4stone. He is normal weight, well muscled but can see his ribs, no podge anywhere.
I think if you are having to buy clothes 4 years above what he actually is just to get room in the waist and chest then yes, your child is overweight.

Pinkpinot Mon 30-Sep-13 21:45:31

Are you sure you have the measurements right?
I don't think 3.9 is that tall for 5.5

pointythings Mon 30-Sep-13 21:25:34

As someone who has spent the past 10 years taking in waistbands and being annoyed by tops wide enough for two, can I just say that not all very tall children are also fat? I've suffered enough sewing with my two to know it isn't so.

Thank goodness for slim fit school trousers...

LaGuardia Mon 30-Sep-13 20:48:36

I went to dds harvest festival today. I was truly shock by the number of obese children in the school. What are their parents feeding them fgs?

PenguinDancer Mon 30-Sep-13 20:12:58

BTW great that you asked and plan on doing something about it. We as parents struggle to see the things we should change, let alone actually change it smile

PenguinDancer Mon 30-Sep-13 20:11:19

I think there is an almost hysterical thing about kids being overweight

and so there should be. It is often taught/learned bad habits and is very hard to undo. It's totally unfair on the child as they have little to no control over it.

PenguinDancer Mon 30-Sep-13 20:10:08

Yes that sounds very overweight to me. I also have a very tall child but he is in proportion.

Talkinpeace Mon 30-Sep-13 20:09:23

I think there is an almost hysterical thing about kids being overweight.
That is because far more kids in the UK are overweight than underweight.
Being underweight can be cured in a matter of weeks.
Being overweight can take a lifetime to deal with.

Orangeanddemons Mon 30-Sep-13 19:39:00

I was a skinny child, and then turned into a really fat chub at 8 or 9. By age 11 I was 5ft 5 and skinny. I grew about 3 more inches then stopped growing at about 121/2. Just because a kid is a bit chubby, it doesn't mean they will stay that way. Puberty and growth spurts often eradicate the problem.
I think there is an almost hysterical thing about kids being overweight. But everyone is different and develops at different speeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now