Should I be worried about my sons' weight?

(97 Posts)
Redtartanshoes Sun 29-Sep-13 19:55:18

My ds is 5 1/2. he is tall for her age (about 3"9) and quite a bit boy. He weighs about 5 1/2 stone.

He is the biggest in his class, and is obviously in clothes bigger than age (9-10) but to me he seems fine. He is happy, bright and doing well at school.

Is he much bigger than "normal"? (Whatever normal is?!)

cantspel Sun 29-Sep-13 20:53:37

At 5.5 stone even if he was aged 9 he would still be overweight so at 5 i would say you are on the way to be obese.

Kungfutea Sun 29-Sep-13 20:53:42

My dd is 6.5, 4" tall and weights 4 st 4lbs and she's on the 92nd percentile for bmi for girls her age (used to be on 96th).

Looking at the figures you gave above, I do think you need to look at making some changes.

Kungfutea Sun 29-Sep-13 20:55:37

Awomansworth

Bmi is only a guide, it's not diagnostic. But unless you're talking about a particularly sporty or muscular child then it's very likely that a child who is overweight or obese according to bmi is overweight. I wouldn't ignore unless I had a good reason to.

rockybalboa Sun 29-Sep-13 20:59:46

My 5 yo weighs 2st 7lb. He'd be round if he weighed an extra 3 stone.

Talkinpeace Sun 29-Sep-13 21:01:52

take the numbers out of it.
look at the child
he's 5 1/2 so is growing fast
bone and muscle should be almost stretching his skin

if he leans over forwards, can you see the lower edge of his ribs
if he stands up straight and pulls his tummy in, can you see his ribs round to the side
can you see his collar bones all the way along
do his knees look knobbly

if none of the above, he is grossly overweight
if less than three of the above he's over weight
if all of the above he's in the normal range

if you can see definition around his scapula (and are not slim yourself) he's marginally underweight

If you are worried maybe you should check it out with a health worker. Again all children a different and will have different body types but if he seems out of proportion in height and weight to you maybe it is an indication that he needs a little help.
Just to compare my son (nearly 6) is 4ft 1" and 3.6 stones. He is in aged 7-8 clothing, but for his height, we have to pull in the elastic when they are adjustable. My eldest son is 8 and in aged 10 clothing, again for his height and he is hands down the tallest in his class. Is his diet good? If it is maybe have his hormones/ metabolism checked out. Good luck with it.

QueFonda Sun 29-Sep-13 21:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Sep-13 21:02:39

He's wearing the clothes of a child twice his age.

Yes, I think it's time to get him/his diet checked out.

Does he get enough exercise?

Awomansworth Sun 29-Sep-13 21:03:23

Kungfu - I was asking the OP if she thought her ds looked overweight, not asking opinions on my ds, whose BMI is well within the healthy range given his height.

My ds is very tall and there isn't any fat on him at all, but I would struggle to see him not being overweight if he weighed 5.5 stone.

whatastar Sun 29-Sep-13 21:06:05

surely you can see if he looks big or not compared to other boys in his class who are the same height.

Orangeanddemons Sun 29-Sep-13 21:07:53

My dd was in age 9 dresses at 5 1/2....very tall, and they were the only ones long enough

GobblersKnob Sun 29-Sep-13 21:07:58

That does seem like rather a lot.

Dd is 5.5 and very tall fot her age, she weighs nearly 3 stone

Ds is 9 and average height, he weighs 4 stone and a bit.

NickNacks Sun 29-Sep-13 21:08:47

Another thread where the OP just disappears...

gordonpym Sun 29-Sep-13 21:08:59

He is not big because he is tall. He is tall because he is big. Overweight children tend to be taller than average because the additional fat tissue makes more growth hormones to stimulate vertical growth.

It doesn't seem right to me, and maybe not even to you OP, reason why you are posting here tonight.

Stop buying crisps, sodas, chocolate.

Redtartanshoes Sun 29-Sep-13 21:12:57

Thanks for the feedback.

Will make an appointment with GP and start addressing issues sad

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Sep-13 21:13:45

You need to look at him naked or in just a pair of pants

Use your eyes and your 100% honesty.

If he's carrying too much weight, don't put it down to 'puppy fat' or any other phrases that try to normalise overweight children.

And don't compare him to his peers because as someone else pointed out, there is such a high percentage of overweight children starting school every year.

SomeTeaPlease Sun 29-Sep-13 21:15:19

Good for you, OP. It will be much easier to instill a healthy lifestyle now than when he's older.

Try and make it fun and make changes for the whole family, not just your DS.

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Sep-13 21:16:49

X posted

But you're doing the right thing OP by recognising it and making a start on helping to put it right.

I'm sure you'll get his weight down because you have the right attitude

Good luck thanks

Talkinpeace Sun 29-Sep-13 21:17:16

OP
Well done on coming back. THat in itself shows you have the bravery to do what needs doing.
Do not wait for the GP.
You are in control.
Go and look at your kitchen.
Remove everything that has more than ten ingredients
then remove everything with more than 20% sugar
now sort your menus for the coming week
and the path will become clear for your whole family

Good on you, you are making the first step to giving him a healthier life, and while he is still little it will be so much easier. Let us know how you get on.

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Sep-13 21:21:03

Exercise is also a very important thing

I think we've lost sight of just how much energy children have and if how they were left to their own devices, they wouldn't sit still for more than a few minutes.

I hear a lot of parents saying "Oh well they run around at school and do PE twice a week".

But that's nowhere near enough. Besides that, many of the playgrounds are now too crowded to run around much, and an hour's PE will often include 15 mins of faffing around getting changed at the start and end of the lesson...so actually only about half an hour.

gordonpym Sun 29-Sep-13 21:22:16

I am sure you know what must be done. It's just difficult to get started, but MN is here for support!
Meanwhile these thanks are for you. I wasn't easy to come back!

pixiepotter Sun 29-Sep-13 21:25:11

My 12 yr old DD weighs 5.5stone and she has hips and boobs!!

hettienne Sun 29-Sep-13 21:28:09

The NHS BMI calculator makes him very obese, 100th centile for his age. I would be extremely concerned.

TerrorMeSue Sun 29-Sep-13 22:01:53

Well done. You can sort this out. You will need some support, you may need to change the whole family's habits and it will take a while for him to grow into his weight. However, it will be easier to do at this age before he will be really aware. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now