To feel sad my house doesn't do dinner parties??

(96 Posts)
bordellosboheme Sun 29-Sep-13 18:08:37

When I was a girl I wanted to grow up and live in an elegant house and throw dinger parties.

However, I have ended up in a house without a dining room.... A small kitchen, and so I've not invited anyone round to dinner in 5 years.

My next door neighbours do this every weekend..... I feel sad.....

wink1970 Mon 30-Sep-13 16:27:37

imho, hosting dinner parties is expensive & hard work if you do it the 'posh way' - if I never have to polish a silver fork again it will be too soon.

I much prefer hosting (and even better being invited to) informal gathering where there's some finger or sharing food, brilliant conversation and - and this may be related - lots of booze.

Some brilliant suggestions on here about sitting room 'picnics', you can theme them by food or just something random like 'pink' (pink cupcakes, fizzy plonk, etc). Aware this sounds a bit Pippa's Tips

Icelollycraving Mon 30-Sep-13 17:49:42

I love the idea of a big coffee table & stools. Where do you get them?

Lj8893 Mon 30-Sep-13 19:05:27

I don't know where my mil got hers but I just googled coffee table and stool set and loads came up. I love them!

thebody Mon 30-Sep-13 19:11:54

op the sort of people who think their company abc dinner parties are fantastic are usually the ones who are all about impressing and not about the fun.

you sound lovely. food on laps, as said in a coffee table or on a picnic cloth on the floor. lots of booze. fantastic. grin

VBisme Mon 30-Sep-13 19:17:14

Picnics and barbeques in summer, carpet picnics or take-aways on knees in winter.

We have friends round a lot, but I rarely have "dinner parties", (too much stress and expense, and we all have young kids).

valiumredhead Mon 30-Sep-13 19:58:30

Oh PLEASE have a dinner party, even if it;s sitting on bean bags on the floor round the coffee table, I LOVE going to other people's houses to eat even if it's just beans on toast!

valiumredhead Mon 30-Sep-13 20:39:52

I'm not inviting myself OPblush

bordellosboheme Mon 30-Sep-13 22:54:00

You all sound great. I'm inviting you all around for dinner grin Indian, tapas etc on coffee table with bonfire it is grin
Thank you for restoring my confidence. I just tonight invited my friend and son around for informal sunday lunch. Thanks to you guys... grin

bordellosboheme Mon 30-Sep-13 22:54:41

P.s. Valium I wish you were inviting yourself. You sound nice grin

bordellosboheme Wed 02-Oct-13 17:17:26

Have invited my friend and her son for Sunday lunch!
Any ideas for an easy one? At mo am thinking of whole chicken in oven

Floggingmolly Wed 02-Oct-13 17:20:00

How are next door managing to have dinner parties every weekend; is their house not identical to yours?

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 17:20:21

Whole chicken in the oven, baked potatoes or crusty bread and salad!

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 17:21:38

I would SO come toogrin

bordellosboheme Wed 02-Oct-13 17:32:26

Floggingmolly theirs is a big executive home! They're social climbers ours is a tiny bungalow next door. smile

bordellosboheme Wed 02-Oct-13 17:33:13

Valiumredhead that sounds like much easier than a full roast! Great idea!

So pleased you've invited some guests. Chicken, jackets and salad sounds delicious. What are you doing for pud? I always make chocolate brownies and ice cream when I'm having adults and kids over. If you want to make it fancier I make hot fudge sauce to pour over.

EastwickWitch Wed 02-Oct-13 18:58:07

Or apple crumble can be made in advance.

bordellosboheme Wed 02-Oct-13 19:43:56

Ooh choc brownies and apple crumble both sound delicious options! Now, how do I get the confidence to think she is thinking good things about my house and not OMG? I can't be objective as its my house.....

It's your home. Stop giving a shit what people think about it. If you like this friend then she is a nice person, if she is a nice person she will be happy to receive such a lovely invitation. I don't go to friends' houses to judge their homes ( ok well sometimes I like a good nose, I'm only human) but to enjoy their company.
You will have a lovely time I'm sure.

Dilidali Wed 02-Oct-13 20:33:11

Wash the windows, hoover, dust, put some flowers in a vase, once the room is aired light a smelly candle, so you have a hint of nice smell.

I like a table cloth... Sorry, it's where I come from, Sunday is lunch with a white table cloth. I have a red one for Christmas and a yellow and lime green one for summer sunday lunches.

The rest is....pot luck! I tend to serve mezze type of food, cutlery in a big bunch given to children to set (haha), I jug of water with lemon, wine....everything is on the table, might be a cultural thing again, but I don't really clear the table for ages, for the people to be able to keep picking at stuff if they wish, bring a tray with a coffee pot and mugs. Children have dessert on a picnic rug in the middle of the room, leaving space for adults at the table.

I work by the principle: I'm hosting till you arrived, once you're at the table, feel at home. I am a feeder, not really a hostess, I like to enjoy my food and the company, catching up with people, the food is an excuse to gather round.

valiumredhead Wed 02-Oct-13 22:21:39

If I have lots of people round I often lay everything out in the kitchen so people can help themselves and just have cutlery and drinks on the coffee table.

Salmotrutta Wed 02-Oct-13 22:27:45

OP - I make a point of avoiding the sort of twat person who would judge my house and not just come to see us.

We don't have a dining room but we do have a decent-sized living room and kitchen so gate leg tables are your friends.

Plus - an informal supper is much more fun than a stuffy old "dinner party". wink

Talkinpeace Wed 02-Oct-13 22:31:03

I love my house. Many of my friends quite openly say that they love visiting it but could not live in it full time. Fine. I don't actually care if people like it or not. They can go sit in the garden by the BBQ pit.

I love having parties : often just tray after tray of nibbles, pleny to drink and good company

anewdispensation Wed 02-Oct-13 22:35:49

Love this and marking placegrin

marriedinwhiteisback Wed 02-Oct-13 22:36:27

What's wrong with a fork supper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now