Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

EDL....

(662 Posts)
DandyFloss Sun 29-Sep-13 11:41:17

I am a regular who has name changed for this thread.

I would like to have a discussion about EDL. I want to know exactly why people find them so abhorrent and why it is such a taboo subject.

I dislike militant Islam, it is a dangerous movement and it really frightens me. A family friend was killed in 9/11 and it was a horrible horrible tragedy.

I have two mixed race children, my DH is mixed race, I would not say I'm racist or xenophobic.

As far as I can gather EDL oppose militant Islam, and this alone.

Why does this make them racist? Surely militant Islam, although a very small proportion of Islam, should be opposed?

MrsDeVere Tue 01-Oct-13 18:10:37

I know that the BNP have done forum trawls before. Some new bloke would turn up on MN after any biggish BNP story. They would arrive on an existing thread and mansplain.

They probably think they will get further if they disguise themselves as wide eyed mummies of black children hmm

EDL/BNP not much between them in terms of ideology and I would be astounded if their membership didn't overlap considerably.

YouTheCat Tue 01-Oct-13 18:30:48

Well if they were looking to increase their membership, I think they came to the wrong forum.

Sallyingforth Tue 01-Oct-13 19:17:30

I think they came to the wrong forum
Yes!
I find it very reassuring to see here such a solid wall of opposition to the tiny minority of EDL racists.

BangOn Wed 02-Oct-13 20:55:41

Let's make it a general Mnet policy to biscuit-bomb any future EDL threads.

post after post of

biscuit

should put em off using our forum as a free Mori poll.

LittlePeaPod England Wed 02-Oct-13 20:58:54

Count me in... Ha ha ha grin

Wannabestepfordwife Wed 02-Oct-13 21:00:41

bangon I thought you were going to say lets biscuit bomb their meetings to which I was going to say no let's turn up in disco attire and pretend we got the EDLs mixed up

Cosmos123 Wed 02-Oct-13 21:29:49

Count me in 3.

Also happy to turn up in disco attire -small notice required to arrange babysitter- or shall i bring the kids along too??

Dawndonnaagain Wed 02-Oct-13 21:32:04

I'd do it!

Jinsei Thu 03-Oct-13 09:48:36

And again, it's funny how people who have to live around Muslims on daily basis get this, whereas people that live in leafy suburbs or secure gated communities down south just don't. They have a completely different experience of mass immigration to us. And yet their experience is the "correct" one, whereas ours is the wrong one.

Sorry, I realise that the debate has now moved on, but I'm still chortling at the idea that anyone who isn't racist must live in a gated community or leafy suburb down south. grin

FWIW, I don't live in the south of England but I do live in one of the most diverse parts of the UK.

White British children are a minority in my dd's class. At least half have English as an additional language.

No sign of any gated communities.

There are lots of muslims here, and we have two mosques in our small town. And a gurdwara, two Hindu temples and a bunch of churches.

There are lots of immigrants of all different religions and races. Many of them are my friends! shock

Nobody has ever offered me a wad of cash for my home.

Is my experience valid?

Thants Thu 03-Oct-13 10:10:52

I don't think you have to live up north to understand immigration. London is the most diverse multicultural part of the uk.
I live in the south. I live and work with people from all over the world every day, including many Muslims. Muslims that were born in the uk and those that have emigrated here. And these are all normal, working class people. I have never had any problems with any of these people. What I have had problems with are the groups of drunk, white, men that make up the EDL who put on 'protests' just for an excuse to fight.

Latara Thu 03-Oct-13 10:20:43

I was shocked to discover yesterday that the EDL were planning a rally in my town centre for Saturday.

They have now cancelled for some reason but if they re-schedule then I plan to join any protest against the EDL (as long as i'm not at work).

The EDL just piss me right off because I have good Muslim friends who live here in my town and they deserve to live in peace not to have idiots like that planning a rally here. I don't know why the EDL were planning a rally here in Dorset anyway.

Suddenly my liking of freedom of speech is taking a battering because I definitely don't want the EDL exercising their freedom of speech in my town!!

LittlePeaPod England Tue 08-Oct-13 18:50:13

Well well well... Even Timmy Robinson has jumped ship and left the EDL because he thinks its full if racists. That says a lot.

news.sky.com/story/1151663/edl-tommy-robinson-quits-far-right-group

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now