To agree with workfare in principal?

(707 Posts)
IAmMiranda Sun 29-Sep-13 11:23:01

Donning my flame retardant underwear - though note I'm not for the current scheme, but the principal is sensible.

Working for unemployment benefits makes sense to me - provided that the "wage" is fair for the hours and skills. Eg. £90 a week job sellers could equal 15 hours of charity work?

Taking into account disabilities, childcare and other responsibilities I really don't think its unfair to provide people with jobs to earn the equivalent of benefits?

I do think its wrong to line the pockets of corporations, reduce jobs for other workers etc but surely charity work is an option?

I think I've probably missed some huge glaring point but AIBU?

(NOTE: I have previously been in reciept of JSA and would happily have done 15 hours a week and had plenty of time to job search)

alemci Sat 05-Oct-13 09:44:11

so maybe the message which should be going out to teenagers is to be more choosy who you have sex with and not equate sex with love. as a women or man you have a choice to say no to sex. I know its old fashioned.

I think being tied to someone sexually is also emotional.

YouAreMyFavouriteWasteOfTime Sat 05-Oct-13 11:13:20

according to Rape Crisis, 1 in 5 women (aged 16 - 59) has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16.

but this does not mean 1 in 5 women is experiencing sexual violence at the moment.

of course 1 rape is 1 too many - but when talking about the number of children who are a result of rape and benefits policy we need to be using the figures correctly so the limited pot of money can be spent where it generates the most good.

to me focussing the money on women leave a DV situation makes much more sense then the state propping up a dangerous situation which often creates the next generation of abusers and abused.

Crowler Sat 05-Oct-13 15:39:00

I also wonder why it's just girls from affluent homes who are having abortions.

I realize I'm probably not in the majority here, but I'm mystified that someone would choose to have a baby they can't afford and are too young to manage rather than have an abortion.

I can't related to voluntarily submitting to this permanent level of stress rather than removing a pinhead-size speckle of cells.

HeadsDownThumbsUp Sat 05-Oct-13 16:18:40

But it's a matter of individual choice, Crowler.

Suggesting that having an abortion is the 'right thing to do' is just as insidious as suggesting that continuing a pregnancy is the 'right thing'.

Crowler Sat 05-Oct-13 17:16:04

Of course it's an individual choice. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I simply could never tolerate the stress of entering into parenthood without some measure of financial stability. I would be permanently stressed out & not functioning well as a parent.

Which is why I empathize with parents who have lost their job, etc tremendously. Situations change.

TotemPole Sat 05-Oct-13 20:51:16

I thought this thread was about workfare. Are most of those at risk teenage mums?

sunshinenanny Mon 07-Oct-13 14:11:20

Do we now want to put pressure on women to have abortions they don't want. and as for adoption that isn't always a solution! just watch the many programs about girls who's lives were ruined by being forced to give up their childron in a less enlightened age.

I was disgusted with an aquaintance who said she thought young unmarried women who have more than one pegnancy should be forcibly sterilised. These attitudes make me despairing of the human race.

compassion and kindness are fast dissapearing and we will all have cause to regret it if we are not careful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now