Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

sorry X factor!!

(72 Posts)
thebody Sat 28-Sep-13 21:24:16

watched X factor since the start, reason being at home with kids, but this year is so nasty and cruel. totally disgusted. I know aibu to watch this crap but sad its sunk so low.

grumpalumpgrumped Sat 28-Sep-13 21:26:24

Was just about to start a thread saying the same.

headlesslambrini Sat 28-Sep-13 21:26:26

DH and I were just saying the same thing. The way they are doing it this year is just too much for the people taking part. Some of them are only 16 - 17 years old FFS

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 28-Sep-13 21:28:18

The whole of TV culture has sunk to this (possibly a wild generalisation, but ...) Our children are learning that it's OK to say what you like to who you like as long as they "deserve" it because of their lack of talent. It's institutionalised bitching and bullying

Mumsyblouse Sat 28-Sep-13 21:28:34

It's one thing to throw one of the contestants out in a boot camp, but in front of thousands, it's nasty, I agree. The one really upset then has to walk across and congratulate the winner, completely gutted. I let my girls stay up for this and I wish I hadn't now.

HeySoulSister Sat 28-Sep-13 21:28:39

It's edited to look more cruel than it is....the contestants know the score!

16/17/18 year olds aren't made of glass!

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 28-Sep-13 21:29:17

But the children watching don't know that HeySoulSister

thebody Sat 28-Sep-13 21:29:17

exactly, I think ITV need to be very careful they don't want the first Xfactor suecide. or maybe they do.

horrible nasty

WestieMamma Sat 28-Sep-13 21:31:40

I stopped watching it when I found out that the awful repeat contestants at the first stage are talked into auditioning and humiliating themselves again.

Iaintdunnuffink Sat 28-Sep-13 21:32:13

It's so pointless. It adds nothing if people can be moved off. It's not enjoyable to watch. It's not nice.

thebody Sat 28-Sep-13 21:32:41

Mumsy totally agree, my dds 14,13 are very quiet. they have watched this show for years but this seems like bullying to me. oldest just gone to her room, this was our family Tv night .. sad

HeySoulSister Sat 28-Sep-13 21:35:10

Bullying??

jellyfl00d Sat 28-Sep-13 21:37:46

Westie, forgive me for being naive but did they really rope in the previous rejects only to reject them again for the sake of sensational tv rather than the people cos they really wanted too? If so that's truly awful shock

YAsoNBU

It does seem to have reached new heights of cruelty this year. It makes me uncomfortable that we are expected to find this enjoyable

jellyfl00d Sat 28-Sep-13 21:39:26

...sorry,meant rather than old contestants applying themselves cos they wanted too.

pudcat Sat 28-Sep-13 21:39:26

I think it is all set up to be cruel for effect. The judges know who they want and so the contestants are put in a certain order so that there is always going to be someone sent of a stool. And how some of them do get through is beyond me.

HeySoulSister Sat 28-Sep-13 21:41:30

jamie children?? It's not a children's show!

FlobberWobber Sat 28-Sep-13 21:45:55

I was about to start a thread saying thesame thing! So cruel this year... These aren't people who have signed up for Big Brother.

FlobberWobber Sat 28-Sep-13 21:46:38

Watching it made me very uncomfortable.

thebody Sat 28-Sep-13 21:47:25

HeySoul disagree it is Saturday night TV which should be enjoyed with children.

humphryscorner Sat 28-Sep-13 21:49:20

Yep me and DH agreed, lots of head messing going on there just for ratings. I don't see the point.

Only came back to watch because Shazza is back. I had to stop watching when kitty was on as DH thought I was going to smash the T.V up!

borninastorm Sat 28-Sep-13 21:51:18

I have always loved x-factor but tonight's show has depressed the hell out of me. Too, too, too cruel.

Those poor girls faces sitting on the chairs thinking they were going to be the one's ejected. Surely this is a step too far?.

HeySoulSister Sat 28-Sep-13 21:51:40

It's just finished at 9.50... How old are your children? It's past the 'watershed'

WestieMamma Sat 28-Sep-13 22:00:30

jellyfl00d I can't swear to it, but I did read an article where they were talking about a lady with learning difficulties who had appeared several times. The article said that producers rang her up each time and talked her into trying again, telling her that she really stood a good chance this time. It was horrible.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 28-Sep-13 22:05:49

HeySoul

The only people I know who talk about it and enjoy it are children 9I work in a school). Not my children

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now