Am I miscarrying?

(151 Posts)
Beavie Sat 28-Sep-13 21:11:05

Sorry to hijack Aibu, I know I'm not bu for once but really need some words of advice!

I'm currently sitting in a&e, where I've been for over 2 hours now, as I am 6 weeks pg and been bleeding intermittently for over 24 hours now. It's bright red blood mixed with mucus (sorry if tmi). It comes in waves and stops and starts and the waves seem to be getting heavier. I've also had a dull pain in my abdomen most of the day, although this has been intermittent too.

Dp is insisting we stay here until we are seen even though it's a bit of a waste of time as far as I'm concerned as we've been told we will not be able to get a scan tonight so I'm not sure what they can actually do. Add to the mix a cranky toddler who should be in bed and I'm feeling pretty fed up. I just want to go home and get in the bath which helps with the aching. Anyone got any words of advice?

AIBU is a fantastic place for help and support

hmm grin

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sat 28-Sep-13 23:10:25

not going to derail the thread, but i have seen loads of helpful threads on MN AIBU

spiderlight Sat 28-Sep-13 23:32:55

Just offering a hand to hold until you know more. Hopefully having been through the A&E system will speed things along for you on Monday.

ThisCollie Sun 29-Sep-13 00:16:21

Everything is crossed for you. The lovely MN ladies on the miscarriage forum were a saviour for me, just in case it is the worst news. Have my first thanks

CocacolaMum Sun 29-Sep-13 00:19:23

don't have much to add but didn't like to read and run so sending you my best wishes for a happy outcome x

2beornot Sun 29-Sep-13 00:37:02

Back in June I had bleeding like you. I spoke to friends (RL and mn) who all said that they had it and it was fine. Unfortunately mine was a mmc (and trust me, a hcg test won't help you as I POAS at 12wks and got a BFP even though baby has died at 8) but it seems that bleeding happens a lot in successful pregnancies. Good luck x

Maggietess Sun 29-Sep-13 01:42:35

I'm so glad the initial checks looked ok.

I know it is entirely different in never scenario but as some others have said, bleeding is not necessarily a mc.

With dd1 I was bleeding so heavily in was being treated for heavy irregular periods. Doc didn't believe I could be pregnant but when (at, as it turns out, 11 weeks) I decided there was something fishy and did a test, I was pregnant. I was warned to come in to epau and not to expect it to go well as in was obviously mc.... I wasn't.

I continued to bleed heavily on and off throughout that pregnancy and the general consensus was it just happens some people. Didn't stop the sheer panic, rush to maternity, scans, monitoring etc each time!!!

Dd2 same thing.... Scans all the time to check. She was fine.
Ds same thing... Except he was placental abruptly at 36 weeks so emergency cs... They like to keep you on your toes these babies. Always will surprise you.

Anyway what I'm trying (badly) to say is the are all so different it is impossible for any of us here to now what's going on. Glad the initial tests went well and hope you get some rest soon xx

Maggietess Sun 29-Sep-13 01:44:22

Good god I hate autocorrect .. And I'm a pedant in rl so the multiple mistakes in my posts kill me... I blame Google!!! Sorry!!

lotsofcheese Sun 29-Sep-13 07:08:37

How are you this morning, OP? Hope you managed to get some rest. Take care.

Featherbag Sun 29-Sep-13 08:08:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Featherbag Sun 29-Sep-13 08:09:17

Very sorry, wrong thread!

Beavie Sun 29-Sep-13 08:57:06

Morning! Just woken up and I don't seem to have been bleeding overnight, and I'm not in pain so that's good smile

Amy106 Sun 29-Sep-13 09:02:27

Very glad to hear that. Please take it easy and try to rest.

lotsofcheese Sun 29-Sep-13 09:03:21

That's good the bleeding has stopped. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Balaboosta Sun 29-Sep-13 09:04:46

Good!

Beavie Sun 29-Sep-13 11:05:25

Spoke too soon...the bleeding is back big style and so is the cramping. No appointments available in the epu until Tuesday so will have to wait until then for a scan sad

Purplefrogshoe Sun 29-Sep-13 11:33:01

Im so sorry, try and rest as much as possible, i can't believe they are making you wait until tuesday, it still may not be mc, fx xx

Maggietess Sun 29-Sep-13 11:52:49

I'm so sorry op that's an awful length of time to make you wait. Is there another hospital you could try, even just turning up at their maternity unit and say you don't know your dates, might encourage them to scan you?

Beavie Sun 29-Sep-13 12:51:54

Have thought about that but now they've already taken my blood etc I think maybe I'm better off going back to the same place. They want to take more blood on Tuesday which will tell them what's going on with my hcg levels.

Maggietess Sun 29-Sep-13 12:55:16

Hang in there! X

pourmeanother Mon 30-Sep-13 13:00:37

Beavie - I had this a number of months ago at 6 weeks and was lucky enough to get to EPAU straightaway as it was a week day. I turned out to have had a chemical pregnancy - ie the egg fertilised but had not implanted for whatever reason and so effectively had a period a week or 2 late.

When they scanned me they were clearly able to see that no sac had formed and there was no evidence of a pregnancy getting underway at all.

I hope this isn't happening to you. Thought I'd just share my experience.

Guess the reason I'm posting is just about pregnancy tests. When I tested at about 5 weeks I only had a faint positive result. In other pregnancies I have had much stronger positive results.

They did a pregnancy test at the EPAU and at this time - 6 wks - there was no positive result at all. If you're sitting around doing nothing and wanting to know answers then you could go and take a test and see if it's looking faint or not.

I know that's probably what I'd do in the same position again.

Btw, the very following month I fell pregnant again and am now 19 weeks with no bleeds at all. It's a very sad time if you miscarry but you will get through it.

Sending you love.

Beavie Mon 30-Sep-13 13:49:41

Thanks pourmeanother. It's interesting you say that because the first test I did was a very faint positive at around 4 weeks, but then I did a digital one the next day and it said positive and 2-3 weeks since conception.

I am going crazy waiting. Can't go in until 11.50 tomorrow and I am just sat here in my own little world ignoring my poor dd. still bleeding, as I have been all weekend and having cramps so it's not looking good. I tried to get an appointment at another hospital this morning but by the time they had tried to get my hcg results from the other hospital the slot had gone. The nurse I spoke to was quite blunt and said if I had been bleeding and cramping for 4 days then the chances weren't good.

Hopefully this time tomorrow I will know one way or another. I feel awful because the night the bleeding started I had a bit of a melt down at dp about how I really didn't want another baby as I really want to go to uni next year. This was an unplanned pregnancy but the timing wasn't great, but now I feel really bad. I just want to know one way or the other.

pigletmania Mon 30-Sep-13 14:07:45

Sweetie big hugs sad, I've been there, I now have a gorgeous ds. With ds I started to bleed at 9 weeks, bright red and a gush, I called the MW, who referred me to EPAU. I was scanned and they found a heartbeat. Te bleeding stopped. I hav. Dd but she was Bentham I had two losses after her than ds. Giving you cake and brew

pigletmania Mon 30-Sep-13 14:08:27

Born after

fluffyraggies Mon 30-Sep-13 14:23:51

Didn't want to read and run thanks

I had a massive bleed (blood down legs and over kitchen floor) at 15 weeks. Just like you i sat in A&E for 2 hours to be seen. They told me gently there was nothing they could actually DO to stop a mc.

The most upsetting bit was the lovely lovely nurse at triage saying 'look, no matter what happens it wasn't your fault'. I howled at that sad

Good news is baby was fine. No one could tell me what caused the bleed. Now 24 weeks and hanging in there. I so so hope for great news at your scan tomorrow sweetheart. It can happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now