to think grown men and women should be to control their potty mouths....

(38 Posts)
Pigeonpair1 Sat 28-Sep-13 19:15:04

...... in the family stand at football matches?

I've been to enough games to know that emotions run high and that it goes with the territory but was still amazed today that men and women in the Family Stand were screaming the F&C words when surrounded by children (some of them had their own kids with them!).

cardibach Sat 28-Sep-13 21:06:25

YABU for using the phrase 'potty mouth'. It really, really irritates me. What dies it even mean? Say they should control their foul language! And even then you WBU, I'm afraid.

aderynlas Sat 28-Sep-13 22:18:16

Sorry to hear about your dh op. Taking your son to watch qpr is a great idea and im sure he ll love it. Dont worry about the language. My daughter has been going to games all her life and has never repeated it. We swapped places with qpr last season and are really enjoying the prem. Good luck to you and have a good season at loftus rd.

cumfy Sat 28-Sep-13 23:33:39

YABU

Footy and zoo for the price of one ticket.

Bargain.

Thisvehicleisreversing Sat 28-Sep-13 23:44:47

Swearing at footy matches is just another part of the entertainment grin

My DS's like hearing the chants and find it hilarious when they hear something very rude and naughty. They always come home with stories of 'the old man who said the f word' or 'the sweaty man who called the ref a w'

DS2 took his best friend with him to Old Trafford today, they sat in the Stretford End so Christ knows what they heard grin

Pendeen Sat 28-Sep-13 23:52:38

YANBU, but more than that, adults should be able to express themselves without swearing n any situation. It is lazy, often affected, and/or disrespectful and makes anyone who uses foul language sound thick.

Unfortunately MN is infested with contributors who use foul words, possibly to make themselves appear sharp and 'with it' but who actually come across as stupid and unable to express themselves.

Ilovemyself Sun 29-Sep-13 01:16:14

How dare you criticise football. Don't you realise that anything said is perfectly acceptable, no matter how racist, homophobic, or sexist as it is only made in jest and is all part of the fun of attending.

JadziasSnacks Sun 29-Sep-13 01:39:46

YANBU, I work at a football ground on match days. Our family stand fans have to curb their language, it's part of sitting in the family area.

Write to the club. Address your complaint to the Safety Officer.

silasramsbottom Sun 29-Sep-13 01:52:21

YANBU. Anyone sitting in a family stand should know to moderate their behaviour, or what is the point of the family stand? But then I live in Glasgow, and it's more than just good old fashioned bad language we have to worry about hmm

ZingWantsCake Sun 29-Sep-13 01:56:24

YABU

and take this to the next game

▼▼▼▼Oi▼▼▼▼Ref▼▼▼▼You're▼▼▼▼A▼▼▼▼Twat! ▼▼▼▼▼

yep, that will do

[pleased]

YouHaveAGoodPoint Sun 29-Sep-13 01:57:57

YANBU

YouHaveAGoodPoint Sun 29-Sep-13 02:01:02

I have asked people to stop swearing at matches. I have done it in a friendly way and people have always been ok. They sometimes forgot after a while though. I am not sure I would ask someone who was really drink though.

Rhythmisadancer Sun 29-Sep-13 21:53:49

Agree people should tone it down in the family area. DS1 is 8 and a massive footie fan. He is also a huge fan of catching grown ups swearing, which he doesn't know I do. Massive self control on my part.
One day I am going to sing "my old man said be a Derby fan, I said f**k off b*****ks you're a c**t," for him, and he will have a small heart attack and laugh his head off. Just biding my time really ....

Moxiegirl Sun 29-Sep-13 21:58:13

I agree with you in principle but it's just so deeply ingrained in football crowds I just can't see it changing. I fucking hate football wink but I have taken ds a few times in the past. He ended up joining in on a couple of offensive (sweary not racist or anything) chants until I stopped him! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now