to feel positively evangelical about electronic cigarettes?

(984 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 27-Sep-13 15:07:18

I was reading the AIBU thread about the husband vaping in the house with a newborn. I was struck by the passionate testimonials from former smokers, saying they couldn't have done it without e-cigs. I had tried a puff one of those things that look like a cigarette and was underwhelmed. But I didn't know about the more advanced set ups where you can fill them up with your flavour of choice. Anyway, I was intrigued. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years, and never quit more than a few months at a time, no matter which methods I tried.

nb84 encouraged me to give it a try and told me what to buy to get started.

I ordered a starter kit that night. It arrived the next day and I fell in love. I have three of them, now (one always charging, one near to hand, and one in my purse ready to go) and eight different flavours of the juice.

I don't want to smoke cigarettes any more. I like this better. It tastes really good. It feels good. And it doesn't stink. My hands, clothing, and breath don't reek anymore. I don't have to keep going outside. I don't have to feel like a smelly pariah. My husband can't smell it even when I'm sitting right next to him.

And I don't have to try and not think about the fact that my mother died of cancer after spending her last decade debilitated by emphysema.

And instead of paying £8 a day for fags, I can buy a week's worth of juice for £10. The hardware was less than £20 to get started and will require only £10 a month going forward. Of course, I can spend more. Many people geek out on it as a hobby because the gadgets are fun and constantly improving.

I'm not worried about putting on weight like people usually do when giving up the cancer sticks. In fact, I snack less. I no longer crave sweets. I would normally nibble all day, especially Haribo sweets. I don't want them anymore because I am tasting a bunch of sweet flavours all day long.

I'm so happy that I want to tell everyone - every smoker and everyone who loves a smoker - about it. grin

Vaping Vision is Hangsen - that's what I'm mostly using at the moment. Paradise Vape I'm not sure, I think they might mix their own - I have two 3ml samples they sent free with the £8.50 kits (pomegranate and bitter-sweet chocolate) but they're low and zero nicotine and I haven't fancied them. They smell really soapy so I'm leaving them for a while.

I've got one clearo for tobacco flavours - currently a mix of RY4 and RY6 and one clearo for some sort of 'dessert mix' - currently vanilla + hazelnut + rum + espresso.

I have some 10ml samples from joose juice which I'm trying to leave to steep but the apple pie and gingerbread flavours are calling to me. They're the cheapest I've found outside of ordering from china.

Cantabile Sun 27-Oct-13 17:50:27

Maggie, I'm still vaping a mix of Totally Wicked eliquid and apple. The apple is a bit sweet on its own and the other is OK but nicer with apple.

I have practically run out - got some apple left but that's it. Have ordered more but no idea when it'll get here. My cigarette consumption is going up so I don't run out of vape! confused That's wrong, really isn't it!?

I don't know of a shop nearby though, so can't just got and get some. Would love to be able to just wander in somewhere and try a few different flavours. Anyone know of anywhere in Exeter?

QueenStromba Sun 27-Oct-13 20:24:14

I know I sound like an advertisement for Liberty Flights but if you order early enough in the day they'll send your order same day and if not they send it next day so if you ordered now you'd have it on Tuesday. Their premixed generic stuff is really nice although I don't think they do any VG/PG mixes in those ones - you'd have to get two different ones and mix them if you didn't want pure one or the other. They've got guest mixes that are a PG/VG mix that are a bit more expensive but you'd get 10ml for the price of a pack of fags including postage and it goes way further so you'd be quids in.

MaggieMcGill Sun 27-Oct-13 21:55:23

I found my local shop through google, just put in vape with the name of my town. I've tried doing the same with Exeter and could not find anything. I hope you get your delivery soon. I could post you something tomorrow but 11mg is the strongest I have now.

For some reason I've had cravings today, probably because I'm using 11mg now. I've just put an order into joose juice for some 6mg & 0mg 70/30 pg mixes.

Cantabile Sun 27-Oct-13 22:13:59

Queen, thanks, I'll get on to LF now.

Maggie, I'm using 18mg atm, and I think anything lower will be too low for the time being. Kind thought, and I'm grateful for the offer thanks

Yet another reason for regretting living in the sticks!

QueenStromba Sun 27-Oct-13 23:54:41

There's a map of vaping shops here. It seems like there's a load of them up north but bugger all down south - you think there'd be loads in the London area but there really aren't.

Liberty Flights are also great for EGo batteries - they're expensive compared with other places but they don't get worn threads like cheaper ones do. I don't recommend their Ego USB passthroughs though - my first one stopped working as a passthrough in a week or two and the second one (ordered before the first one broke) didn't work out of the box.

Cantabile, would you like the 24mg stuff that Beckamaw sent me? PM me and I'll send it on to you smile Looking at that map your closest shop is Flavour Vapour in Torquay.

QueenStromba, yes I was surprised at the lack of shops in London too.

I am very proudly vaping on my first home-built coil grin I didn't explode my face or anything.

Cantabile Mon 28-Oct-13 16:43:24

Plenty, that's really sweet of you! Thank you; I'll PM.

Well done on building your coil! Sounds far too technical for me.

Queen, yes Plymouth and Torquay. I may be going to Plymouth sometime in the next couple of months. I've found a couple of Vape Lounges in Exeter, and there was an advert on one of these sites for a store manager in Exeter, so maybe not too long to wait.

I don't know what a passthrough is blush

Cantabile Mon 28-Oct-13 16:52:22

Oh, meant to ask, how would I go about cutting 24mg down to 18mg?

FunnysInLaJardin Mon 28-Oct-13 16:54:02

right I need to read the thread again as I want to now buy a proper PV and am getting very confused!

You're very welcome Cantabile. To cut it to 18mg you could mix 75% of 24mg with 25% of 0mg. Or mix 50/50 24mg and 12mg (I think confused)

Cantabile Mon 28-Oct-13 18:44:49

That makes sense. I've just remembered that when my spare battery came it included a smallish bottle of 0mg which I put away (in a safe place - aaaaargh!) for when I have reached that impossible goal grin

Thanks, Plenty (and Beckamaw).

BetsyM00 Mon 28-Oct-13 18:51:01

Okay, recommendations please!

I'm done with CE4s. I'm fed up with leaks, constantly sorting out gurgling problems and clearos which simply fall apart (thealchemistscupboad, I'm looking at you!). And did I mention the leaks?

So I bought a Mini Protank which is much better. I like it, it doesn't leak at all...but...it's just so 'airy'. I end up covering one of the air holes whenever I suck. And the coil heads which are supposed to last at least a week are barely lasting me 2 days.

I've ordered an EVOD which should come tomorrow, but what's everyone else using, what's good?

Betsy, I'm still very happy with my GS-H2 clearos. They work the same as the evod (and take evod heads) I have heard that the evod has a less airy draw than the protank so I hope that works well for you when it arrives.

The gs-h2s don't leak on the whole (unless I've been farting around with the wicks) but they do build up a bit of condensation in the inner tube. I've also got the bigger version, the GS-H5 and a Kanger Protank but I haven't really used either much yet because they are big tanks and I'm still trying out lots of flavours. I've just started on the Joose Juice gingerbread and it's gorgeous!

I'm curious about what's happening with your protank heads. Do they just stop firing?

Cantabile Mon 28-Oct-13 21:18:46

Betsy, I got an Ego C mega twist this and these (which

As I only starting vaping a couple of weeks ago and have not tried anything else, I can't really tell you whether it's great or not. I can say I love it! I haven't really used the VV bit, but who knows.

It's really easy to fill, and hasn't leaked, or bubbled, or caused any problems. I've dropped it a couple of times, so it has a couple of tiny dents in the battery casing but that hasn't affected it.

nbee84 Mon 28-Oct-13 21:44:40

Betsy - I always end up going back to these They are dual coil, so do go through the liquid a bit quicker, I've never had a problem with them. The draw can be quite tight, so much more like a draw on a cigarette and the heads last for weeks. The vendors are in the netherlands, but I always choose free postage and they arrive in a week.

BetsyM00 Mon 28-Oct-13 22:20:04

Thanks Plenty. Not sure what is going on with the Protank coil heads. At first I thought the battery needed recharged as it just seemed there was little power going through the unit, but it was the same on a fresh battery. But after changing the coil head it was as good as new. Rinse and repeat 3 times over the last 5 days! Maybe I've just got a duff set of coil heads. I've ordered some new ones, 1.8 ohm instead of 2.5, so hopefully they will be better, and give more of a throat hit.

The evod takes the same coil heads as the protank which is why I've ordered that too. Good to know it should be less airy. If the same coils can be used in the GS-H2 too, I'll try these as my Plan C!

BetsyM00 Mon 28-Oct-13 22:23:59

I've only been vaping 4 weeks Cantible and my first bit of kit was this. It was fine while it lasted, but all the replacement clearos I've had have been naff. A fair chunk of money down the drain.

You need to try your VV!

BetsyM00 Mon 28-Oct-13 22:34:30

Thanks nbee84, they sound good too. I see them on myepack.co.uk and vapeescape.co.uk as well.

Have you tried pulling up the centre pin on your battery?

With the coil heads, The gs-h2 takes the old style evod heads with the short post, which can also be used on the protank, but the new style interchangeable evod/protank heads with the longer post won't fit in the gs-h2. You can just swap the posts over to make them fit though smile

Cantabile Thu 31-Oct-13 16:14:09

Plenty, thank you for the liquids, they arrived this morning, and your card smile. As I did get spare tank things I have now got two tanks' worth of juice, which should be more than enough until my new liquids get to me. Such a relief! I was really getting through the fags again blush

I will confess, that I am with you and Beckamaw in that these flavours are not really what I would want permanently. I am happy to post them back to you (or just the one your dh has developed a taste for?). Let me know.

Otherwise, I am happy to post whatever is left to anyone who would like to try them. 24mg.

QueenStromba Fri 01-Nov-13 05:53:03

I bought a couple of the CE5s that nbee84 linked to and went for the 10ml random flavour option - I'm looking forward to seeing what I get, I hope it's not a tobacco flavour.

Haha no we don't want them back! DH thought he liked the cafe mocha and went off to work with a tank full. When he got home he said, 'actually this is quite vile' grin

I'm glad it reached you ok. The woman in the post office asked what was in the parcel and was very suspicious about whether it should be in the post. She seemed to think it was some sort of lighter fuel confused

QueenStromba Fri 01-Nov-13 10:32:32

Sometimes you can mix not very nice flavours to get a nice flavour. I've got some raspberry which is really tart on it's own but lovely with a sweeter flavour like peach. I'm not sure what you'd mix with menthol coffee flavour though.

Cantabile Fri 01-Nov-13 10:48:14

Queen, would you like to experiment with these two? I can post them to you. Cafe mocha, and Twisted Java. My husband thinks it's hilarious that I have thme; as he said, I don't like coffee! I've become one of those people who'll vape anything gringrin

I have ordered some RY4 so I could try mixing one of them with that. Or maybe just mix all three, perhaps add some apple too. I suspect the RY4 is going to be quite sweet (ordered it before I really checked it out - assumed it was just another baccy flavour - I'm being a bit of an idiot with this, tbh).

I can see I may have to convert the kitchen into a lab.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now