Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be quite happy with the use of car parking cameras

(20 Posts)
PractialJoke Fri 27-Sep-13 08:02:36

Councils need to raise money one way or another. If they raise less from car parking fines we'll have to pay it somewhere else. I'm quite happy that it's raised from people who park illegally/inconsiderately.

Obviously there's a problem if fines are issued where parking wasn't illegal, but there is an appeals process and the cameras help to prove whether that was the case (rather than just a traffic warden's word)

IMO this is a mad announcement with the election in mind, which won't be as popular as Pickles thinks. People who park inconsiderately are loud noisy arses who make a big fuss, but the majority park sensibly so are completely unaffected by the cameras.

Ban on car parking cameras considered

beachyhead Fri 27-Sep-13 08:05:22

I agree. Speeding tickets are given out after camera capture, I don't see the difference, other than the local council aspect.

What I don't agree with is the subcontracting of wheel clamping...

krazipan Fri 27-Sep-13 08:07:10

I wholeheartedly agree with you, councils are already shutting libraries, as well as decimating social care. They need to get money from somewhere!

SoupDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 08:07:37

I think the problem is that people are getting tickets for picking up/dropping off rather than parking. It's unclear whether they then have a successful appeal. I don't have a problem with actual illegal parking being caught on camera as the solution is simple: Don't do it!

2cats2many Fri 27-Sep-13 08:08:16

I thought that Eric Pickles sounded really lame on Radio 4 this morning. Like so many of the announcements that he comes up with, it sounded like this was designed to generate some headlines and then be kicked into the long grass and come to nothing. He had absolutely zero to say on Labour's energy price policy and sounded devoid of ideas and opinions.

Personally, I think that too much parking enforcement is killing high streets, but I blame all the selfish feckers that park on double yellows or in loading bays as much as I blame councils. If everyone parked where they were supposed to (or, god forbid, cycled, walked or caught the bus sometimes) then there wouldn't be the need for some much parking enforcement.

gordyslovesheep Fri 27-Sep-13 09:42:52

another one in total agreement - the situation in our works private car park and drive with double yellow lines is awful every school drop off and pick up - especially the verbal abuse from parent when we ask them to move so we can get into work

The PCSO's come round sometimes but it makes no difference - fine them - every day until they stop I say

BackforGood Fri 27-Sep-13 09:54:00

Oh dear - an 'AIBY' where we are all agreeing grin

But you are right - if they weren't parking illegally then they wouldn't get a ticket. I'd have thought having cameras cuts out a lot of appeals, as it takes away the 'opinions' side of it.
Eric Pickles is just making himself sound even more daft with this one.

randomAXEofkindness Fri 27-Sep-13 09:56:54

YANBU.

nonmifairidere Fri 27-Sep-13 10:06:37

Eric Pickles sounding daft? Never! The jumbo dumbo is the epitome of Tory incisive thinking, surely. (I know, gratuitous insult - so bite me).

WestieMamma Fri 27-Sep-13 10:15:29

YABU sort of.

I've had 7 parking tickets in the last 5 years because cameras don't look on the dashboard for the BB. Yes there is an appeal process but that doesn't negate the stress and upset it causes.

SoupDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 12:03:05

I'd have thought having cameras cuts out a lot of appeals, as it takes away the 'opinions' side of it

Surely they cause more appeals because they don't differentiate between someone stopping to pick up/drop off a passenger and someone parking.

kinkyfuckery Fri 27-Sep-13 12:04:38

Westie surely if you are displaying your ticket correctly, you can appeal the fine?

YANBU - break the rules, pay the fine. It's as simple as that!

YANBU. It's like people moaning about getting fined for speeding when they were (shock horror) speeding. hmm

WMittens Fri 27-Sep-13 13:00:29

Councils need to raise money one way or another. If they raise less from car parking fines we'll have to pay it somewhere else.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, councils are already shutting libraries, as well as decimating social care.

I assume from these statements you are both unaware that councils are not allowed to use money from PCNs to subsidise spending in other areas?

WestieMamma Fri 27-Sep-13 19:26:49

Westie surely if you are displaying your ticket correctly, you can appeal the fine?

Yes I can and every one has eventually been cancelled but it places a burden on me that I find too much. I struggle daily keeping up with what needs to be done because of my condition. The stress and anxiety that are 'normal' for me mean that I have very little capacity to deal with minor hiccups. At the risk of sounding like a 5 year old, issuing tickets to all and placing an extra burden on people like me is not fair.

SadBadMadFat Fri 27-Sep-13 21:08:49

YANBU. I thought the same when I heard news. now the arsey lazy 'we can park where the hell wel ike and fuck you 'feckers get their own way-again.

Meglet Fri 27-Sep-13 21:14:50

Yanbu. The woman interviewed on the news earlier was moaning because she only parked there "for a minute" hmm.

YABU because:

1. I got a ticket just before Christmas for dropping off someone. I stopped for 12 seconds as the letter helpfully told me. In a side street, while no other cars waited. This person was my grandmother who is in her eighties, it was snow and outside her house. Appeal went nowhere.

and

2. I have seen these cars parked ILLEGALLY themselves in their bid to catch out others. DH knocked on the window and pointed this out to the woman, in a completely polite way (I was there) and she accused him of threatening behaviour and said she would contact the police.

They are buggering the high street, well ours anyway. There is nowhere to officially park on our local high street (hence why car cam was parked where it shouldn't), and there have been recent campaigns to get rid of these cars by local shopkeepers because everyone ends up going to the giant Sainsburys because it has a car park.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 27-Sep-13 21:28:21

Westie - but there may be places where if there weren't cameras, people with BBs wouldn't be able to park at all because of knobs parking illegally, which would be even worse. Ideally they'd have an exclusion list of BB holders, or a way to make it really easy to deal with.

The solution to the 'dropping off' problem could be to require two photos timed say 10mins apart.

YANBU. Illegal parking is antisocial and can be dangerous.

PractialJoke Sat 28-Sep-13 07:33:31

It's not parking regulations that have ruined the High Street, but cars themselves. High Streets developed when everyone walked to their local shops, they aren't designed for cars. it's the fact that people want/need to go everywhere by car that has ruined High Streets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now