Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To feel sad and hopeless

(15 Posts)
burstingbaboon Thu 26-Sep-13 20:56:31

I will be very short. My two DD's (9 and 10) need to get baptised before Christmas so they can receive holly communion sacrament in may ( found out yesterday) but godmother can't come at such a short notice. She doesn't live in UK. Both me and my dh ate not from here. We have very good friends but they are not Catholics. My DD's want to get sacrents, we go to church... I am devastated and really hopeless.
Please if anyone can give me advice, please.

Nyborg Thu 26-Sep-13 20:59:03

You need to go to your local parish priest and talk to him. He may wonder why they were not baptised as babies as that is the custom here (and in every Catholic country as far as I know) but if you are regular churchgoers and sincere in your intent, he will arrange for your daughters to attend some suitable sacramental preparation programme for their baptisms and first holy communion.

Nyborg Thu 26-Sep-13 21:00:59

As for godparents - he may suggest that a suitable person from your local parish becomes your children's godparent. Some priests do not insist that every godparent is Roman Catholic, so long as one (or the majority, depending on how many you have) is a baptised - and practising - Catholic.

Isildur Thu 26-Sep-13 21:01:35

Use proxy Godparents/Godmother?

It's a common enough thing to do, although you risk the proxy feeling they are 'not good enough' to be proper godparents.

burstingbaboon Thu 26-Sep-13 21:10:10

Thank you so much. They are attending preparation classes and we go to church. They are brought up in religion but it was my mistake not doing it on time and that's where a I feel that I failed my DD's as a mother and as a member of church . I really feel terrible , almost as if I betrayed them. I always did but now it's like eating my heart. Very hard to explain. He already said they have to be rc and have first three sacraments.
I am getting really I'll from worries.... Thank you so much for your advices.

Isildur Thu 26-Sep-13 21:13:43

Who is 'he'?

I do know what you mean though, my 3YO has not yet been baptized, and my 9YO has not made their 1st Communion, and I do feel dreadful about it.

burstingbaboon Thu 26-Sep-13 21:19:01

I sorry. Priest.

Isildur Thu 26-Sep-13 21:25:50

It will be fine, really.

It will do no harm to speak to the priest, to ask what you can do.

If all else fails, they will find someone to stand in.

burstingbaboon Thu 26-Sep-13 21:44:53

Thank you so much. Tomorrow I will see him after mass at macmillian coffee morning and will speak to him and take it from there. I am so scared that I don't start crying in front of him because the whole day I am crying. He will think I am mad. Thank you so much.

burstingbaboon Thu 26-Sep-13 21:46:28

Is it sad and embarrassing? Are my girls the only ones who won't have godmother??

Isildur Thu 26-Sep-13 21:49:15

He will not think you are mad. Of all people, a priest is someone who recognises how important the sacraments are in his own life.

And the Church is always out to bring more people back into the fold! grin

He will not turn you away.

Isildur Thu 26-Sep-13 21:50:19

And my older three had only one Catholic godparent!

burstingbaboon Fri 27-Sep-13 00:52:42

Thank you

MariaLuna Fri 27-Sep-13 01:05:30

I wasn't baptised.

The best thing my parents did for us was to give us a non-religious upbringing.

"Religion is the greatest weapon of mass destruction" what someone said to me. So true.
(Just saw it in Nairobi).

Sorry if that offends.

Went to school in Belfast too....

I am not aetheist. I have my own spirituality by the way....

burstingbaboon Fri 27-Sep-13 01:18:50

Thank you for your reply. I respect your opinion especially because one of my close friends is atheist.
She is not religious and doesn't believe in G_D.
It didn't make her better or worse person but in
her situation she has very high moral and is extremely respectful of me and my faith.
My faith kept me alive , my faith keeps me going
in the darkest hours of my life.... My angel is always
on my shoulder protecting me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now