Teacher's family accompanying school trip

(269 Posts)
Trifle Thu 26-Sep-13 19:25:46

DS1 (age 13) went on a school trip today to the zoo. One of the 6 teachers accompanying the 104 children on the trip took his wife and two young children.

Does anyone know what the legal ratio of teachers to children is for this age?

I think it is highly unprofessional to do this as the teacher spent the majority of time with his family and not supervising the children.

If the ratio is 1:17 then he should have been acting as a teacher first and foremost. If it is 1:20 then, fine, but really, a day off at the zoo just because a school trip happens to be going somewhere fun for his kids.

I'm pretty peeved at this as I had to pay for the trip and wonder if I am paying for his family too.

What would you do ?

Caitycat Thu 26-Sep-13 19:38:25

Sorry huge xpost and yes staff quite often bring family members on residential trips. As long as they are not adding unsupervised dcs I still don't see the problem (assuming they paid for the extras)

MoominMammasHandbag Thu 26-Sep-13 19:38:29

But presumably the teacher was working, and being paid for it. Quite unprofessional I think, to bring your family along when you are working.

noblegiraffe Thu 26-Sep-13 19:39:32

Teachers don't usually supervise secondary school children on trips. They send them off with instructions to be back by a certain time, then sit in cafe and drink tea mill around keeping a general eye out for trouble.

Driz Thu 26-Sep-13 19:39:44

You do know that teachers don't get paid extra to take children on trips don't you trifle? And he took 20 kids to SA? So what if his family also went, I doubt very much that YOU subsidised his family's trip, but I am pretty certain that the school/school district subsidised your son's trip.

CeliaLytton Thu 26-Sep-13 19:40:28

What would I do?

Nothing.

Are you jealous op?

What's wrong with his wife going on a school trip abroad with him?

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 26-Sep-13 19:40:59

Why do you even care of he took his family on cricket tour? Our PE teacher used to bring his family on the school ski trip to France- made no difference to anyone! His wife was actually really lovely! Honestly, you have little to worry about.

Caitycat Thu 26-Sep-13 19:42:16

trifle he was paid exactly what he's usually paid but when you're on a trip you can't go home at 5 and see your family so why not have them with you? The school will still get far more than your contracted hours out of you in the course of one week plus of non-stop contact time

Trifle Thu 26-Sep-13 19:42:29

I'm astonished to be told I'm being unreasonable, never expected that.

But, I reiterate my point as Moomin has grasped, if a teacher is being paid, is it really professional for him to take his family on what is supposed to be an educational trip, all done within school hours.

He is at work at the end of the day.

littlemisswise Thu 26-Sep-13 19:42:41

What Cremepuff said!

This won't end well.

McNewPants2013 Thu 26-Sep-13 19:43:15

the teacher must have under 4, so i think it is nice that they got to spend some family time together.

Teachers work very long hours and do a lot of work from home.

unless the children was school age and they have been taken out of school yabu

Retroformica Thu 26-Sep-13 19:43:45

There were just some spare seats on the coach I'm sure. Why waste them

theoriginalandbestrookie Thu 26-Sep-13 19:43:48

My friend and her DCs are going on the school ski trip in a couple of years with her DH who is a teacher. They are paying for their own fares. Personally I think it's a much needed perk for the fact that he is constantly away on geography school trips, rugby coaching and other activities which he isn't paid extra for.

littlemisswise Thu 26-Sep-13 19:44:16

Caity my DH is away for four months doing his job. Strangely enough the kids and I weren't offered the chance to go with him!

Retroformica Thu 26-Sep-13 19:46:03

I'm sure them man is capable of teaching whist on a trip with wife around.

I think it's quite nice for the pupils to see the teacher as a regular human, with a family.

Finola1step Thu 26-Sep-13 19:46:12

I don't know what the back story is here. But, I'm about to don a hard hat ... I'm a teacher and I do find this a tad irregular. If it is the teacher's working day then s/he should be working, not having family time. I take Year 6s on various trips, including residentials. Every summer I do the leavers Chessington trip. I would love for my husband and dc to join me. But I am working.

I did take my ds to Chessington once. On my day off to complete the risk assessment before I took the kids the following week. A school trip is a working day and should be treated as such by the staff accompanying the children no matter how old they are.

Have I missed something here?

scarlettsmummy2 Thu 26-Sep-13 19:47:19

Look, it isn't really the same as a normal school day. If he brought the children into the class room, that would be unprofessional, but a trip to the zoo or a sports tour, completely different.

littlewhitebag Thu 26-Sep-13 19:47:29

littlemisswise There is a big difference between having to work abroad for a period and volunteering to take children abroad on a residential trip.

NoSquirrels Thu 26-Sep-13 19:47:41

My parents were teachers. From the age of 5/6 onwards my sibs and I went on ski trips that my dad was the organising teacher for. We paid the going rate, my parents did their job as the accompanying adults and looked after benignly neglected us.

In fact, not only did "we" as a family pay the going rate, my parents made my sibs and I contribute from the interest on our Post Office savings accounts!

Happy days, I have lots of fond memories of those trips.

If you weren't there, and you just have the word of your 13 yr old I think YAprobablyBabitU.

janey68 Thu 26-Sep-13 19:47:45

you know the teacher was paid for all the extra hours for a trip to S. Africa do you? hmm

Because I have never known of a teacher being paid anything extra for trips and residentials- they volunteer their time. So, if it really bothers you that much OP, he no doubt worked for FREE more hours than he would have been paid for during that trip. Maybe that fact will calm your fears a bit

By all means write to the head and governors if you're still sweating on it, but they'll think you're an interfering busy body with not enough going on in your life

SilverApples Thu 26-Sep-13 19:48:04

Ok, I wouldn't do it.
I have forced OH to go on trips with me when we didn't have enough adults and were in danger of having to cancel.
OP, you need to check what the school policy is on this and challenge it if it really annoys you. Better to do something about it through the usual channels and get answers to your questions than ferment in bile and outrage for weeks.
Just write and ask.

McNewPants2013 Thu 26-Sep-13 19:48:31

shocking i have been on a few of DC school trip ( for free) as a parent helper.

I didn't even have a CRB check.

frogspoon Thu 26-Sep-13 19:48:48

I don't see the problem.

I assume his wife was supervising his kids, whilst he was supervising the students as part of their trip.

SilverApples Thu 26-Sep-13 19:50:31

'I did take my ds to Chessington once. On my day off to complete the risk assessment before I took the kids the following week.'

I used to do that Finola. For years, all I had to do was unleash DS and if there was a hazard, a death trap or a possibility of something going horribly wrong, he'd find it.
DD was far less useful in that respect, but she thought of lots of useful questions.

littlemisswise Thu 26-Sep-13 19:51:50

I know there is, littlewhitebag. Caity's reason for the teacher going to SA was he didn't get to go home at 5 so why not have his family with him. My DH, and many other people, don't get to go home at night but don't get the chance to have their families with them so I don't see why a teacher can't do a school trip without their family.

Oh and my DH is doing way over his normal hours for the next four months too, before anyone says that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now