Hind waters breaking, not proper waters?

(40 Posts)
juniper9 Thu 26-Sep-13 14:03:30

Ok, not really an AIBU but I am umming and arrhhing so need advice from people who might know what I'm talking about!

First of all, I'm 39+4 with my first. On Tuesday morning I woke up with some unusual wetness in my pants, but not huge amounts. I put a pad in and left it at that. That evening, DP and I bumped uglies and after there was quite a lot of clear liquid on the bed. I'm fairly sure I didn't wee myself.

We rang the hospital and they said to go in, especially as I have strep B and need antibiotics when I go into labour. We waited around (as happens) and eventually saw an obstetrician at 2am. She was on the verge of inducing me when I asked her to actually check my waters had gone, as it hadn't been as much liquid as I'd expected. She did an internal exam and said my waters were intact, and that is was probably my hind waters. I was then discharged.

Since then, I've not had any more leaking and no contractions. Baby is moving normally. Google and MN has told me that hind waters can break weeks before main waters, and can reseal.

My concern is the risk of infection- seeing as I know I have strep B, should I try and push no pun intended for an induction, even if I haven't lost my main waters or started contractions?

Has anyone here had any experience of hind waters? Every other anecdotal story I've read has said that either labour started naturally, or else they were induced. I've been told it could still be a week.

Thanks. And sorry for posting in AIBU. I guess IABU.

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Thu 26-Sep-13 14:07:53

No, you aren't BU.

My hind waters broke and I was induced later that day because of the risk of infection. This was over 20 years ago though, it might be different now.

ilikemysleep Thu 26-Sep-13 14:08:43

My hind waters broke in one labour - small gush that then stopped and no further leaking. I was induced that day as I had to have antibiotics in labour and was running a slight fever. To minimise risk of infection I think you should avoid any sex though until delivery, whatever you / they decide.

juniper9 Thu 26-Sep-13 14:20:29

ilikemysleep the waters broke on DP so I think he's still too traumatised to even consider sex again...

Dobbiesmum Thu 26-Sep-13 14:45:13

My hind waters went and I was told about a week too. Iirc I went into labour just over 24 hours later. In your case I think I would be making noises about an induction tbh, better safe than sorry.

bababababoom Thu 26-Sep-13 15:17:41

My hindwaters broke at 35 weeks with my middle child. I wasn't induced as there was no "evidence" of waters breaking when they examined me. I continued to leak waters til dd was born at home at 42 weeks, but they still said the risk of induction was greater than the small risk of infection?? I was sent home and told to take my temp every day and come back if I had a fever.

I suspect they didn't believe my waters had gone but it was way too much liquid and definitely wasn't wee! And they kept gushing from time to time!

Lemonylemon Thu 26-Sep-13 15:20:48

My hind waters broke when I was 36+1. They wanted me to stay in hospital until I had DD. It wasn't possible for me to stay in, so I asked them to let me go home. They gave me antibiotics and I had to take my temperature every 4 hours and if my temperature went up, I had to go back in. I had to go to the hospital every other day so they could monitor me. Labour started a few days later and I had DD at 37+1.

MoominsYonisAreScary Thu 26-Sep-13 15:25:21

My hind waters broke at 34 weeks and I went into labour 6 days later. Id talk to them again if you are concerned.

Stayed in 48 hours after they broke to check for infection and then went home

poppydoppy Thu 26-Sep-13 15:31:30

Just pretend the babys not moving, they will induce you straight away.

My hind waters broke with my last child they didnt induce me and poor baby got a infection which resulted in him staying in SCBU for 5 days.

FrigginRexManningDay Thu 26-Sep-13 15:44:19

poppydoppy I hope that's a bad taste joke.

Hind waters went on dd at 37+4 and she was born 4 days later. I think its possibly an indication that baby is getting right down into the pelvis and you will have them soon.

cricketballs Thu 26-Sep-13 17:31:45

My hind waters broke with DS2; as my labour was very quick with DS1 and we lived 30 mins away from the hospital they kept me in....went into labour naturally 18 hours later and they ended up breaking my main water when at 10cm they were still intact

my hind waters broke, i had strep b, was kept in and induced 24 hours later. But that was nearly 8 years ago so may be different now and may also depend on the hospital

anniroc Thu 26-Sep-13 19:49:23

I'm just impressed you can 'bump uglies' while that pregnant, op. I gave up at about six months both times!

It could just be a ridiculous amount of discharge. I got checked a couple of times both pregnancies as I 'leaked' - and it was alllll meeeeee <boak>

You become very <ahem> juicy at this point.

nevergoogle Thu 26-Sep-13 19:55:28

hindwaters broke for me at 41 weeks but was examined and they said waters were still in tact. i was sent home.

3 days later full labour established but group b strep infection had got in and my poor ds was very poorly and we very nearly lost him to group b strep infection over the following days.

if i were you, i'd be demanding they do something to prevent prolonged rupture of membranes combined with group b strep infection.

i'd go now.

Sockywockydoodah Thu 26-Sep-13 20:05:39

My hind waters went about 48 hours before DS2 was born.

I was due to have a home birth and so stayed at home until about 2 hours before he was born, at which point the HB midwife made such a fuss about potential infection that I went in. Up until that point I had been monitoring my temp four-hourly (no change). She wanted me on anti-b's.

Very confusingly, the labour ward midwife told me that there is no decent evidence linking hind water leaks with increased infection (although the link with fore waters going is clear). She said she would have supported me at home and that I didn't have to have anti-b's if I didn't want them confused. I opted to have them anyway at this point as I was exhausted and in full blown labour so not up to a fight.

If I were you, I would hold fire for now - I certainly wouldn't be making up stories to get an induction, especially if this is your first.

Instead, I would be monitoring my temp and baby's movements regularly, avoiding baths and any more examinations, sex or whatever (to avoid introducing bacteria into the cervix) and hang tight for a while longer.

tingsandtings Thu 26-Sep-13 20:07:10

I was group b strep with this pg. felt a pop and leaked fluid at 40 +1. Went to get checked and was told it was hind waters. Due to strep however I was kept in, had my first set of antibiotics shortly thereafter and hooked up induction IV. Hospital said they wouldn't want to risk it with the strep. Baby born later that day and currently a very lovely healthy 5 day old. Hind waters or not, I'd be asking for induction. Good luck !

My experience is very similar to socky. My hind waters went, I popped in to hospital- nothing doing. Lots of midwife visits, temperature taking etc. I had to return 48 hours later for induction if nothing happened. Fortunately I went into labour naturally.

bluehearted Thu 26-Sep-13 20:17:07

My hind waters broke at 39 weeks and they didn't recognise it, I went back in 2 days later because I was still losing water and they induced me straight away, because of the risk of infection. My son was born (after a very traumatic birth, not related to induction) and he was born with an infection and was rushed to scbu, he was in scbu for a week and this was because of the infection due to prolonged rupture of my waters breaking. If I was you I would insist on induction!!! But that's just my experience and don't want to scare you. It seems every hospital/doctor has a different opinion but based on my own experience I would push for induction just to be safe.
Good luck with the delivery!!!

DontPanicMrMannering Thu 26-Sep-13 20:25:16

I wouldn't be risking it with group b, we lost my nephew because dsis was left with (full) waters broken to gbs.

That's not to freak you out if an obstetrician has seen you they know best and baby is moving normally. But you aren't early at 39wks so I'd go for induction and monitoring tonight tbh.

Twattybollocks Thu 26-Sep-13 20:26:51

I don't think I would push for an induction just yet as its something you want to avoid if possible, especially with your first baby. I would be speaking to the hospital and asking what if any monitoring you and baby need re the strep and the possibility of infection, and I would be looking at raspberry leaf tea, long walks and got curries to get things going naturally if possible.

FaddyPeony Thu 26-Sep-13 20:33:53

Mine went at 38 weeks, went to get checked, they sent me home after saying I was 2cm dilated so could labour at home.
Two whole weeks later full waters broke and contractions started. It was odd. Not sure what you should do, probably get checked out again because of the slight risk.

CakeInMyFace Thu 26-Sep-13 20:40:42

I had group b too when my hind waters went. There was meconium present though so I was induced that day. Unfortunately dd still had an infection and was in nicu although I also had a traumatic birth so they can't be sure why she so ill. That was two years ago. I would phone in and speak to someone on the labour ward with your concerns then maybe try for a second opinion from your midwife.

juniper9 Thu 26-Sep-13 21:40:10

Just got back from the hospital. The obstetrician did another internal and says there's no liquor, so they are confident that my main waters haven't broken, and that if my hind waters were leaking then they've now stopped.

They've discharged me with no intention of induction as there's no evidence (other than my word) that the liquid was any type of water.

Thanks for all of your advice- it's nice to be reassured that I'm not being overly neurotic!

Dawndonnaagain Thu 26-Sep-13 21:45:13

Hind waters broke with ds2. Got checked, all fine, went into Labour eight days later. Dropped him off at uni last Friday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now