If you had LOTS OF money ....

(38 Posts)
poppydoppy Thu 26-Sep-13 13:38:49

Would it be unreasonable to consider sending your child to this school www.rosey.ch/index.html

DumSpiroSpero Fri 27-Sep-13 23:11:40

I wouldn't because I wouldn't send DD to boarding school - she'd hate it.

On the other hand if I'd had an opportunity like that as a child I wouldn't have been able to pack fast enough!

Beastofburden Fri 27-Sep-13 16:41:30

I would only send a child there if I was in sugar hats position, with a child who needed to mix with kids who were not overwhelmed by how rich we were. If I wanted to buy the best possible education I would look elsewhere for that.

complexnumber Fri 27-Sep-13 15:11:31

"I think if I had lots of money, I'd buy loads of booze and fags, then just fritter the rest away"
(A quote from a plumber in my house just as the Lottery was being launched way back when, it has always tickled me)

Leopoldina Thu 26-Sep-13 16:04:34

There's a surge in very small children being sent to board in Switzerland in order to benefit from tax domicile / residency later in life. Given that they're likely to be brought up by staff and only presented to parents once / twice daily if they're living at home, it probably makes little difference to them.

complexnumber Thu 26-Sep-13 15:56:12

Interesting post SugarHut. Thanks for that perspective.

I know a teacher at Rosey, he is extremely knowledgeable and is willing to experiment to get the best out of his (extremely able) students. I would rate him as an exceptional teacher.

There is a very long waiting list to get in, it is selective.

They do a lot of skiing

Katnisscupcake Thu 26-Sep-13 15:34:05

Depends on what age I would send DD... One of the pics shows a tiny little girl, probably around age 6, actually made me quite sad. I couldn't bear the thought of DD boarding anywhere, not at that age.

Looks amazing though - for when she becomes a terrible teen wink.

poppydoppy Thu 26-Sep-13 15:24:23

I think there is a vetting system so only mega wealthy need apply

DuelingFanjo Thu 26-Sep-13 15:22:52

My question was more about the kids who really don't have great wealth to fall back on but who perhaps have their school fees paid by family or by some extreme cutting back which then means that they may be getting the expensive education but everything about their home life is average and normal. Obviously this school is for the mega rich but in your average private school set up there must be a much wider mix of background wealth and also the fear term on term that the fees might not be met?

poppydoppy Thu 26-Sep-13 15:19:31

Do you mind me asking what school he is at Sugarhut?

sparechange Thu 26-Sep-13 15:14:21

£70,500 a year for the senior school fees!
Wow.

SugarHut Thu 26-Sep-13 15:14:10

Leopoldina. Yup.

Dueling. The reason these kids (my DPs kids already) go to these schools is because they have something in common. Coming from a family where you live a very different life because of the family wealth.
It's done DSS (16) a world of good. He's gone from being a fucking big fish, walking round like he owned the place (at his old school) to nothing special in his new one (not La Rosey, he's in the UK.) He's a much much nicer boy for it. They actually form better relationships with each other because there is no competition over material possesions, or a lot of the "my trainers are better than your trainers, you can't be in my gang" toss that is rife in so many school age children everywhere. Everyone's trainers are the best. They learn to ignore material possesions very quickly, and despite being in a very privileged setting/lifestyle, are often some of the most grounded young people you could ever hope to meet.

DP would make many other parents at that school look poor. His DD (13) is the biggest, scrimpiest bargain hunter ever, and she LOVES "vintage" stuff tat so we often do carboots or markets together, she loves poking through all the stalls, haggling over 50p, filling her room with the bits and pieces she's sought out.

I think there is a massive assumption that rich = spoilt arse. Rich = wasteful on ridiculous luxuries. Actually, not the case, sure we have a tonne of nice things, but we are very, very normal people. And I would hate to be referred to as the elite in society at all. Anyone in our social group would. We wouldn't mix with people who had the ridiculous notion that they were.

whois Thu 26-Sep-13 14:53:00

Our intern went there. She didn't like it - lots of Russian and Middle Eastern super-rich brats going to bars and having a race to see who can spend the most money and stuff like that.

The duel campus is super cool tho.

Leopoldina Thu 26-Sep-13 14:30:01

Duelling - the girl I know who went left the highest achieving / academically rigorous / super selective UK school to go there. Such a bizarre move for a very clever girl. It was a social / contacts thing pure adn simple, unless there was some sort of security / kidnap issue that we weren't aware of at the time -her father was super high profile / front page of papers daily at the time (business not showbiz / sport) and I guess they're used to that sort of thing more than a normal UK boarding school

Chickensoupyum Thu 26-Sep-13 14:26:16

Just seen it, yes I would.

DuelingFanjo Thu 26-Sep-13 14:25:42

I wouldn't.

I was thinking about this recently. Why do people send their kids to such expensive schools? Is it so they are among the elite in society? What happens when a child who goes to a school like that ends up just being average?

Also - people who scrimp and save to send their kids to expensive schools - doesn't that just make your child one of the poorest kids in the school and how do you know you can commit to it for years and years? What if half way through you end up having to take your child out? And are you expecting them to go on and earn lots of money as a result of their education?

just some things going through my mind.

Chickensoupyum Thu 26-Sep-13 14:25:17

How much are the fees?

No, becasue I object to fee paying schools in principle.
I'd also miss my children if they were at boarding school. I'd like them to maybe board somewhere for 2 nights a week though - for a bit of quiet time smile

Leopoldina Thu 26-Sep-13 14:22:47

I doubt many of the kids in those photos are the genuine article- the actual intake is likely to be so high kidnap-risk that they don't permit public dissemination of photos...

squoosh Thu 26-Sep-13 14:21:19

I'd imagine that even if your family was pretty wealthy by most people's standards it wouldn't take much to feel like the 'poor kid' in a school like that.

YouTheCat Thu 26-Sep-13 14:19:49

I don't think my dd would go for it.

But then she is 18. She probably would have got expelled/deported anyway for making loud accusations about stealing Jewish gold about the Swiss etc. grin

Leopoldina Thu 26-Sep-13 14:18:13

a girl from my year at school left to go there. She liked the skiing but not much else.

pianodoodle Thu 26-Sep-13 14:17:19

Only if I could go there too!

poppydoppy Thu 26-Sep-13 14:13:50

Sorry sugarhut, I'm just dreaming smile

SugarHut Thu 26-Sep-13 14:11:49

Poppy are you over there? Would be nice to have a "normal" MN friend when I'm out there smile

SugarHut Thu 26-Sep-13 14:09:31

PMSL!!!! If we move to GVA, that's one of our options!!!! Yes, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now