Kissing goodbye at school

(66 Posts)
OneToThree Thu 26-Sep-13 10:22:39

AIBU to think it's not on to make your child give you a kiss goodbye before going into school when they clearly don't want to?

My ds 6 doesn't want to and I wouldn't dream of making him.

sonlypuppyfat Thu 26-Sep-13 11:00:03

My DS is 14 and kisses me and tells me he loves me even over the phone when he's with his mates.

PeppermintPasty Thu 26-Sep-13 11:00:41

spelling fail

PeppermintPasty Thu 26-Sep-13 11:01:15

-my own I meant!

onadietcokebreak Thu 26-Sep-13 11:04:07

What TEE said.

This is an interesting article although not the one I was searching for.

edition.cnn.com/2012/06/20/living/give-grandma-hug-child/index.html

mrsbingle Thu 26-Sep-13 11:15:08

Hell yes. I smother my son in kisses. He gets the giggles.

OneToThree Thu 26-Sep-13 11:23:05

Good article onadietcoke

Lweji Thu 26-Sep-13 11:26:50

It's our job as parents to be embarrassing.

If he doesn't want a kiss, at least some form of physical contact is mandatory.

notanyanymore Thu 26-Sep-13 11:28:26

Ha! I called 'see you later snugglebum' across the playground to DD the other day, LOVED IT!!

ExcuseTypos Thu 26-Sep-13 11:29:08

YANBU. If someone doesn't want to kiss you, then you should respect that.

I have DDs at uni and we still kiss and hug when saying hello and goodbye. However, having a nephew who positively winces if any adult looks likely to kiss him, I know to stay well away. A threat of a kiss is a very good way to make him behavewink

I agree- the freedom to kiss or not is important to me!

Sianilaa Thu 26-Sep-13 11:30:48

Both my boys would be very upset if I didn't kiss them goodbye every morning. But then, they are only Reception and Yr1 age so plenty of time for that to change.

Though I plan on doing it forever :D

I normally do kiss DS (nearly 9) goodbye each morning but today he was standing with a boy who is a ultra competitive little brat and you could see DS was squirming bless him - he did the eyebrow raise when I went in for a kiss so just gave him a little squeeze. The relief was palpable by the look on his face.

edam Thu 26-Sep-13 11:31:49

My ds is 10 and still happy for me to kiss him in public. Thankfully. I keep thinking he'l get embarrassed and make me stop sometime soon but so far he's OK.

You kissing them is different from making them kiss you.

onadietcokebreak Thu 26-Sep-13 11:33:07

I now refuse to make my children kiss or hug anyone. Shame my mother just doesn't get it.

SugarHut Thu 26-Sep-13 11:36:00

DS is 5. And majorly influenced by DP's 16yr old DS. DS is therefore 5, and in his own eyes James Dean cool.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than hearing the school bell, seeing him glance up with the look of crap, where is she?.... and watch him try and sneak in to the school unobserved.

I ALWAYS observe grin In swoops moi, usually alarmingly fast from behind. Me: "Bye bye darling!!!!" (bear hug from behind) DS: "Mum. Get OFF." (through gritted teeth, cross face) Me: "Of course Mummy will give you a kiss!!" (loud enough for the whole playground to hear, clamp DS between knees and headlock) DS: "Mum, Getttttoofffffffffff!!!!!" (trying to look cool, now laughing like a chimp) Me: "Mwah! Mwah! Mwah!" (Miss Piggy style, all over DS face)

Then without fail whisper in his ear "Always remember...." and he replies (rolling eyes) "Mummy loves you" I do this every time I leave him.

DS is then released. He pretends he hates it wink Actually, I see his little buds watching his face as he creases up during the Miss Piggy onslaught, and they are half laughing, half wishing they could join in with their mummys.

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:39:46

Awwh Sugar do you leave Chanel lippy on his cheek? smile

SugarHut Thu 26-Sep-13 11:43:52

I wish...it's the school run...I'm more likely to leave him with a questionable looking brown smear across his face because I've driven there munching nutella on toast grin

OneToThree Thu 26-Sep-13 11:48:38

I still think its quite selfish to do it when the child doesn't want it.

My ds was happy for me to kiss him goodbye in reception but not after that.
I always say bye, love you, have a nice day. He's fine with that and if he is then I am too.

cocoplops Thu 26-Sep-13 11:51:28

Luckily mine still do at 5 and 8. I wouldn't if they don't want it. My MIL dropped my 5yo off and she was miffed that he wouldn't kiss her on the lips, only the cheek! hmm

SunshineMMum Thu 26-Sep-13 12:06:17

YANBU, They shouldn't 'have' to. Sometimes I am very grateful for my huggy, autistic son. Mind you I had to tell him not to hold my hand now he is at secondary sad.

QueenofallIsee Thu 26-Sep-13 14:15:53

My 8 yr olds don't and my 15 yr old is getting to what I call the 'luvvie' stage i.e. she has gone full circle since being little and now hugs and kisses on cheek as a greeting to anyone and everyone

Littlest boy (6) will whisper - quick kiss Mum now, after checking no one is watching.

lisylisylou Fri 27-Sep-13 07:13:05

At end of school yesterday in the playground I let out a little scream yesterday! My kids come running out and up so fast that I thought dd (7) was going to headbutt me in the stomach! She's like a little battering ram lol. Then my ds (9) comes out running up, he hugs me and then lifts his feet off the floor so he's dangling like a chimpanzee. Then the coats and bags get flung at me and they run back off into the playground to play tig!! The parents just stare and laugh now!!

womma Fri 27-Sep-13 21:34:59

I make sure DD goes into class with a big lipstick kiss on her cheek every day. It's my motherly duty.

grabaspoon Fri 27-Sep-13 21:38:05

Sometimes my charge 5.11 wants hugs, kisses the whole shebang grin other times he does a little wave and skips off without any interaction sad Why do they grow up sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now