Can't contact Google?

(38 Posts)
Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 09:45:48

My dh has a problem with his Gmail account but cannot get hold of Google to sort it out. Basically someone has been given exactly the same email address as him by Gmail. He's receiving endless updates from her Facebook and even an emergency email about ambulances going to her address.

He can't remember his original password as he hardly uses the account but he receives his receipts from play store etc.
He needs a password reminder to access it by Gmail but can't because it would get sent to her account - which is obviously very dangerous. He cannot contact Google.

He was even directed to California for a recorded message which said they were not offering customer services. Has any one any suggestions. He's actually going on about writing to his MP? There must be a better way, can anybody help?

StuntGirl Thu 26-Sep-13 09:59:05

Did he not set up a secondary account or his mobile number to deal with issues like this? Gmail prompts you frequently to do this.

The messages just sound like spam though.

SoupDragon Thu 26-Sep-13 10:00:43

How is he seeing the emails if he hardly uses the account and can't remember the password?

Is it not that this other person has put the wrong email in to places, so he's receiving them but they aren't? Seems incredibly unlikely that two people have access to the same email address. I'm not sure it's even technically possible.

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:04:31

Yes but the secondary account doesn't work as the reminder will be sent to her account. They shouldn't have given out identical 2 email addresses. The problem is we cannot get hold of Goggle to sort it out. Has anyone successfully managed to contact Google?

Honestly I don't think they can give out 2 identical email addresses. I think he should try sending the password reminder.

SoupDragon Thu 26-Sep-13 10:07:47

Why do you think the reminder will be sent to her account?

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:10:24

He can see the emails on his phone as the account is already set up - the only reason he keeps it is to buy apps on Playstore. I know MurderofGoths my dh cannot believe it shock they have given out 2 identical one. So she is trying to set up a Facebook account and he is getting all the info sent to him. She is in Spain. There was a worrying email about ambulance services for her.

Herisson Thu 26-Sep-13 10:11:16

>> Is it not that this other person has put the wrong email in to places, so he's receiving them but they aren't?

This. This is what is happening. I have the same issue with an incredibly thick woman in the US who insists on using my email address to register with doctors and apply for jobs. She is an idiot. Password reminders will go to the secondary email your husband chose or his mobile or whatever.

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:11:39

The reminder will be sent to her as they are sharing the account now.

Herisson Thu 26-Sep-13 10:12:02

Have you tried?

It really sounds like she's just entering the wrong email address into FB, rather than there being 2 gmail accounts with the same email.

The way the data is likely to be stored means it's not likely to be technically possible for there to be two accounts with the same email.

You say she's trying to set up a FB account? I assume that means he's getting emails which say "click here to confirm email" or something? If he's getting more than one of those then I think it's fair to say she has no access to them and is just entering her address wrong.

Herisson Thu 26-Sep-13 10:13:57

If he's logged in, just go to settings and then Accounts and Other Google Account settings - there will be an option to check what the secondary email account is and password recovery options etc.

ClayDavis Thu 26-Sep-13 10:14:47

How do you know that they have given out the same e-mail address and that she isn't giving out an incorrect address that happens to be his?

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:15:23

No unfortunately this is Google at fault. The trouble is we can't contact them.

2Dogsand2Cats Thu 26-Sep-13 10:15:38

Have you sent an email to the account explaining the situation to the new user.

It would seem odd that Google would allow the same username unless the account was left dormant for so long (6months?) it got deactivated. If your DH doesn't log in this is a possibility. Even if email are being sent to the account it could still be deactivated if he hasn't logged in as it would be seen as an unused account

I would personally set up a new email account as clearly details of transactions are going to a complete stranger which is not ideal

BlackbeltinBS Thu 26-Sep-13 10:15:47

It's very obvious her email address is close and she's giving out the wrong address that's all, transposing two letters or missing out a full stop or something. Honestly, they can't give out two the same.

Ok, bit of technical stuff.

Every membership system I know where you use an email address to log in will use the email address as the primary key in the member database. This means it is technically impossible to use the same email twice. It just cannot be done.

If your husband can still access his emails then this means his password has remained the same.

If, somehow, this woman had been given his email address to use then it would have changed his password to hers. It hasn't so I would put money on her just giving the wrong email address to FB etc.

Get your husband to send the password reminder, I am 100% certain it will go to his secondary account and not hers.

Herisson Thu 26-Sep-13 10:21:50

Why don't you contact her on Facebook and point out that she's used the wrong address and ask her to change it? I agree with Murder. It's not possible that they have issued two identical email addresses. Try the password recovery thing. I am sure it will be fine.

mirai Thu 26-Sep-13 10:23:29

Seriously, google have not given out two addresses the same!

This woman is obviously just entering the wrong address when she resisters for things. Or, she is doing what many people do, which is giving a made up (to her) address, so that she doesn't get spam to her actual email address.

If your dad doesn't use it much then can't he just set up a new account if it's bothering him?

mirai Thu 26-Sep-13 10:24:23

DH, sorry, not your dad, this did seem like something my mum would come up with haha

Tee2072 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:25:14

Instead of telling us what you think happened, why not at least try the password reminder. It should go to his secondary account.

Also, you periodically have to put your password into GMail to get it to open. If he can't remember what it is, check his saved passwords on his browser.

There is no way in gods green earth two people have the same email address. She's entered it wrong somewhere.

Are you listening?

Tee2072 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:25:47

I typed to slow today. What Murder said.

Jellybeanz1 Thu 26-Sep-13 10:33:07

Ahh the penny is dropping. You think this lady had set up her Facebook with dh Gmail account. That is why all her Facebook stuff is coming to him? Is this Facebook at fault then if she can set this up with his Gmail account. Lets hope they are easier to contact as google don't answer their phones.

mermaidbutmytailfelloff Thu 26-Sep-13 10:35:49

A useless fact.....the punctuation in gmail addresses is pointless. So if my email was mermaid.but_mytail.felloff@gmail.com then mermaidbutmytailfelloff@gmail.com would work just the same.

I learned that on mums net.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now