Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Got my baby to sleep less than an hour ago...

(67 Posts)
SourSweets Thu 26-Sep-13 03:23:28

And he's awake again for another feed. He's 8 weeks old on Saturday, I thought it was supposed to get easier by now?! Will he ever go for longer than 2 hours between feeds?

Husband is happily snoring beside me having the wonderful excuse of going to work in the morning. I have a throbbing headache and I have to cook bloody lunch for friends tomorrow!

Aaarrrrgghhhhhh!!

mrsspagbol Sat 05-Oct-13 20:59:57

Happy for you Sour!! A decent amount of sleep makes ALL the difference!

SourSweets Sat 05-Oct-13 09:15:05

Eats learn so mug? Maybe I wasn't as awake as I thought! *always learn so much.

We tried co sleeping and it definitely made him sleep more quietly but it wasn't really for me, I was always sleeping with one eye open for fear of crushing or suffocating him, so I ended up more exhausted than I was before!

neunundneunzigluftballons Sat 05-Oct-13 09:08:15

What worked for me was setting up the cot with just 3 sides right beside me in the bed. When baby wakes drag them over to boob and then go straight back to sleep. Read up on safe co sleeping to ensure any risks to baby are mitigated and then life gets easier overnight. I had 2 others who were sleeping through by 8 weeks so 'twas a bit of a shock having a non sleeper but minimising the work thAt needed to be done in order to feed made all the difference. It definitely gets easier .

HadALittleFaith Sat 05-Oct-13 09:00:46

Constant worry, yes! There's a saying 'Sleeps begets sleep' - if he's slept well he's more likely to sleep well again.

SourSweets Sat 05-Oct-13 08:25:56

Oh it so does! I just hope it's not a one off.

We do the biological nursing position (although I didn't know it had a name!) and he does seem better that way too. I think it also helps with my flow which is really fast.

Fed him again at 8 and now he's sleeping again. I'm getting a little worried as he's never slept this well before! Never happy, am I? I did read that at 3 months heh start to sleep better, and he's 9 weeks now so maybe we're building to that?

I have to thank you all again for your advice and support, I eats learn so mug here!

HadALittleFaith Sat 05-Oct-13 08:17:48

If you could like posts on MN, I'd definitely like this! Positioning definitely helps with reflux. Have a look at the 'biological nuturing' position too. I'm so glad you had a better night. Changes your outlook on life, doesn't it?

SourSweets Sat 05-Oct-13 05:30:34

Oh my lord, we have had a fantastic night. I took the advice about feeding more during the day, so we fed every hour and a half, from both sides when possible. Through the night he fed at 10pm before I went to bed, and not again until 3am! 5 hours of sleep! Now he's feeding again at 5.20.

I feel so much better! (Unfortunately my boobs aren't used to infrequent feeding so I woke up in a wet milky bed, but whatever, 5 hours!)

He was also knackered as we took him out from 4 to 9 and he slept a little while out but not a huge amount.

I've also found a new way of feeding him in bed which helps hugely with the reflux. I sit upright with my legs apart and hold him with my left hand (if I'm feeding on the left side) by his bottom, with his legs in between my legs, so he's pretty much completely upright. Then I hold him there for a little while afterwards before shifting him around for burping, that seems to help.

mrsspagbol Fri 04-Oct-13 17:52:53

Hi Soursweets how are you getting on?

oscarwilde Fri 04-Oct-13 15:59:09

Ah - he's only 6-8 weeks. Stomach is still teeny. I have no doubt that it's been the longest 8 weeks of your life, especially if he's had reflux and feeding issues. You just have to find a way to get through it without going mad.
I found it really useful later on when the feeding troubles are a thing of the past but then they suddenly start pulling and tugging and generally being a PITA. It was edifying to find out that a baby will try to increase the flow towards the end of the feed by treating you like a punchbag.... I'm selling bfing to you aren't I

By 12 weeks though, subject to reflux [and I've never had to deal with this so I am not sure if the advice is little and often or regular structured feeds with the meds] issues and weight gain, you should start to see an improvement. They are so much perkier and start to really look at you. You can talk to them and engage even if it is just walking around the garden, showing them the trees. It becomes much more rewarding.
By then, it's a good idea to look at some of the established routines [Gina Ford, Baby Whisperer etc] and see which one you are closest to already/works for you. Just having something you are aiming towards helps immeasurably, not just for you but for people around you when you can articulate your desire to have a 5 min shower so you can get out of the house dressed by 9.30am and actually DO something while the baby gets their first 45 min nap of the day

SourSweets Fri 04-Oct-13 01:01:16

Thank you for the links Oscar, I'll take a look at them during daylight hours.

I've been trying to feed him during the day but there's only do much he'll take and I don't know how to encourage any more. He had his 6-8 week check today and I did ask the doctor about his feeding but she sort of sidestepped the question. Hopefully the Kelly mom website will have some answers!

oscarwilde Thu 03-Oct-13 16:06:58

Hi ladies - reading this post is taking me back to the first hateful few months with DD1
kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/fussybaby/
kellymom.com/parenting/parenting-faq/gassybaby/
I can't recommend this site highly enough to first time mums as it describes typical situations that make you stress yourself stupid and worse still, listen to all the cock and bull theories from well meaning but misguided individuals.
I can also recommend it to second time mums as I found not only had I forgotten a lot of it in the sleep deprived mists of time but also I had a lot more milk (or it felt like it anyway) the second time around, so DD2 had quite a different experience. No less stressful for me sad
breastfeeding.hypermart.net/toomuchmilk.html

I think one of my biggest lessons learned was to get as much food as reasonably possible into them during the day time to reduce the overnight feeding as much as possible. There was a phase with DD1 where I genuinely was vampira.... Within reason obviously and for the first 6-8 weeks they genuinely don't know night from day and need to feed every 2-3 hrs for the most part.

petalsandstars Tue 01-Oct-13 06:52:59

IdaClair forgive me if you have been asked this a hundred times but is she actually taking a full feed each time or is it more like habit and the same times each night? . Is she getting enough solid food? As my LO was cutting down the frequency loads by then, and definitely not having any overnight.

IdaClair Tue 01-Oct-13 04:16:47

I'm up with my 13 month old who feeds every 2.5 -3 hours now, fourth time since going to bed at 8 -at 3 months there was no in between feeds she would sleep with her mouth on my nipple and swap sides when I turned over, I am amazed by your progress so little, go you :-)

SourSweets Tue 01-Oct-13 03:43:41

Thanks petals, it is pretty great! Bit of an inconsistent day yesterday but mostly he's still lasting 3 hours. I feel so much better for it.

Roll on 4 months though!

petalsandstars Tue 01-Oct-13 03:37:54

That's brilliant OP, as he gets bigger he'll be able to go longer between feeds still. At about 4 months it should be heading to 4hourly as his tummy gets bigger and he can take more at each feed too.

SourSweets Tue 01-Oct-13 03:25:38

Great news Mrsspagbol. Sorry things had to get dramatic but it looks like it was for the best.

Hope she gets better and continues to self settle!

I'm more than happy for you to divert my thread btw, seems like we're both getting some good advice and support.

HadALittleFaith Mon 30-Sep-13 13:42:34

Oh brilliant mrsspag! I'm so glad your instincts were listened to. I hope things continue to improve smile

mrsspagbol Mon 30-Sep-13 13:02:55

Hi everyone, sorry to not be able to name you all individually but LO doesn't sleep for long.

Thank you for all the advice and recommendations and I am sorry for the delay in coming back to update.

OP - hope all is well with you and you are continuing to make headway with the feeding routine, boob swapping etc. I am sorry I diverted your thread!

As for me, it all came to a head this weekend and we ended up at A&E last night. The paediatrician was FAB - I could have kissed her but that would be weird ...she listened, observed, did not dismiss my concerns and seemed really clued up.

So we are on Ranitidine for silent reflux as of this morning. Not a lot has changed but a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders as I was so tired of being fobbed off with bloody effing "is it colic?".

LO is sleeping, and actually self settled for once and I feel more positive. I know it might take a few days to work, or not work, but still - I feel vindicated as I knew something was not right.

Also feel DH is taking my maternal instinct a bit more seriously.

Anyhoo - don't want to take up any more time on OP's thread blush but if I get a chance will start one re: Ranitidine and CMPI which was also suggested last night. Have ordered a dairy free cook book this morning.

Oh and ps - also getting tongue tie checked as feeds have become ridiculously fussy so thanks for the suggestion upthread.

Thank you all - hugs (don't care if it's Mumsnetty or not)

HadALittleFaith Sun 29-Sep-13 08:06:53

That sounds like it might be reflux. DD is the same. We got into a vicious cycle - she fed, had reflux (her breath smelt acidic), then she'd feed to try and settle it only making the reflux worse. Sometimes she arches her back and pulls off feeding too. Gaviscon really helped this.

SourSweets Sun 29-Sep-13 05:10:29

Come to think of it, he is quite a sicky baby and is happier sleeping more upright, in his bouncer or if I angle the Moses so it's tilted upright a bit. That does point to reflux doesn't it?

Poor boy! How did mummy not realise that sooner! I'll get him some baby gavison today and see if that helps, if not will take him to the doctors.

SourSweets Sun 29-Sep-13 04:40:32

Do you think so? I hadn't thought it was reflux, he doesn't even wake up so sometimes and the grunting tends to be his standard noise rather than crying. He very rarely cries. He grunts when he's hungry or when he needs a poo. How can you tell if it's reflux?

Yesterday he went 2.5 hours between feeds all day and tonight he's gone 3 hours and then 3.5 hours (almost)! Thanks to all who gave advice, I've followed it and its only ruddy bloody working!

Peopleshouldsmilemore Fri 27-Sep-13 20:21:57

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that your gp can refer you to a paediatric who can prescribe more potent reflux medication. The grunting and straining noises sound like he is very uncomfortable and gaviscon is often not enough to make a refluxing baby comfortable, if that is the problem. Good luck x

petalsandstars Fri 27-Sep-13 18:35:22

Yay, glad you feel better today. My first was a really noisy sleeper for no apparent reason so we moved her into her room quite early on with a monitor. But it is easier to be in the same room really for night feeds on the whole.

Hopefully you'll get more rest tonight too. I've had one born between 91st - 98th centile so know it can be relentless sometimes

fairy1303 Fri 27-Sep-13 16:51:44

Cancel your lunch. It will get easier. DS was like this. He's 13 weeks now and sleeps much better. Hang in there. Can you express a bottle so DH can give it at say, 11, then you will at least get a couple of hours?

SourSweets Fri 27-Sep-13 16:45:04

Thank you Petals I will take a look now.

I took him to be weighed this morning and he's on the 91st centile so no doubts that he's getting enough milk!

Thank you Alicia, he seems to bring up wind fine but he'll just be very noisy in his sleep, grunting the whole time and straining. He's not constipated so I'm not sure why he does it. He was at least going straight back to sleep after feeds last night though. I feel so much better for it this morning!

Mrsspagbol come back and let us know how you're getting on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now