To give DD (4) soya milk...

(70 Posts)
Feminine Tue 24-Sep-13 14:44:04

at school 'milk time'?

The school is fine with it. Apparently the many of her reception class don't like the milk that is provided.

I remembered that sometimes she enjoys the Alpro strawberry carton.

So, she will be drinking one 5 times a week!

I know that the jury is out on soya... is that too much for a little girl?

Obviously I know that with a diary allergy there is little choice. My dd does not have that concern and it made me wonder?

Thanks all smile

GatoradeMeBitch Sun 13-Oct-13 14:07:58

I have to avoid soya because it has a depressive affect on the thyroid gland. I'm already hypo-thyroid and it makes me lethargic and bloated. I switched to rice milk.

Misspixietrix Sun 13-Oct-13 12:55:22

Sorry if I missed it OP what did you decide to do in the end?

oohdaddypig Thu 26-Sep-13 14:36:29

Doorkeeper, the evidence on soya is that it seems to disrupt hormones in kids more than adults. It possibly is a causative factor in some hormonal cancers in adults too.

Worth the risk for some nice strawberry stuff in a carton? Nah...

I don't particularly like dairy industry either but full fat organic is probably the lesser of the evils here.

girliefriend Thu 26-Sep-13 14:20:38

Both me and my dd get upset stomachs if we drink cows milk so we now have rice milk, was surprised at how nice this is and dd doesn't even notice a difference now.

I also found my delicate stomach didn't cope well with soya and was concerned about the hormonal links.

doorkeeper Thu 26-Sep-13 14:05:56

oohdaddypig, the same places which eat edamame and miso also invented soya milk. And tofu, which is made from soya milk.

And if you think that soya milk is some sort of industrial devil's milk, then you probably might want to have a look at the dairy industry, too, if you are bothered about industrialised products.

We use dairy products and soya products. It's no big deal. We're fine.

oohdaddypig Thu 26-Sep-13 13:35:13

Plenty of people do eat soya in the world in for form of edamame beans and fermented soya such as miso.

Soya milk, from soya beans is a heavily industrialised process.

I would not feed soya milk to my dog let alone my child!

doorkeeper Thu 26-Sep-13 12:04:12

Bear in mind that plenty of people elsewhere in the world eat soya products in far greater quantities than, say, a wee little carton of soya milk a day, with no discernible ill effects.

If she likes alpro, I don't see any problem.

Feminine Thu 26-Sep-13 11:39:02

That is interesting sh

My sister did. In those days there were no 'go to' products. My Mum had to make up baby formula soy for her long after weaning!

and the whole family if it was a white sauce <feels sick again>

SHarri13 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:34:29

Did you know 50% of people with cows milk allergies have a soy allergy as the proteins are so similar. Not specific to OP but an interesting fact.

SHarri13 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:33:05

My DS has a CMPA and I won't touch soya with a barge pole. We use almond but Koko and oat are good alternatives if you need but free. The make small cartons of strawberry koko with a straw.

Feminine Thu 26-Sep-13 11:31:55

choc I'd like her to have something in her tummy that time of day also.

Otherwise its just water...

DD does like milk at home, not massively but she will drink it.

We use cravandale, it does taste cleaner and with very little after taste. I'm not surprised the school milk tastes nasty to so many of them grin

choceyes Thu 26-Sep-13 11:25:03

DS doesn't drink the school milk either. He doesnt drink milk even at home. NOt a problem. He eats lots of cheese and yoghurt, so not short of calcium.
Your DD doesnt' HAVE to drink the school milk does she, or need an alternative? Does she get upset that she doesnt' have a drink at the same time as her friends? Doesn't think it bothers DS at all as he knows he dislikes milk. Maybe it's different for your DD as she does actually like milk, just not school milk...is that the issue?

I'd give the unsweetned soya milk cartons personally.

RussiansOnTheSpree Thu 26-Sep-13 11:16:38

Of course, people have milk allergies too. I do. That never seems to bother schools. The dairy lobby is one of the most powerful in the world. sad

Feminine Thu 26-Sep-13 11:14:04

Thanks retro

There is a nut ban in the school though.

I've just remembered that DD has a friend( in class) that has an almond allergy.

Also, carrageenan (sp) is added to many 'healthy' milks. It has been linked as a carcinogen in some reports.

I think ( as of today) its back to decanting! smile

kali110 Thu 26-Sep-13 11:08:53

People who have had cancer before should not have soya milk.
Op think your fine i wish i had had these options when a child!

Retroformica Thu 26-Sep-13 11:04:21

Nut based milks are better

ivykaty44 Wed 25-Sep-13 19:25:01
ivykaty44 Wed 25-Sep-13 19:24:43

drinking milk has risks

tis even on the cancer uk website that it is thought milk may cause prostate cancer -http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer-help/type/prostate-cancer/about/prostate-cancer-risks-and-causes

kali110 Wed 25-Sep-13 14:46:49

Wish id given my darling dad soya to cure his cancer

Feminine Wed 25-Sep-13 10:33:10

groovee good point.

I'll do that.

I'm more confused than ever smile

The teachers have agreed the school milk is vile. I wish they would get the lovely bottles back. At least it was milk, with cream on the top!

JenaiMorris Wed 25-Sep-13 08:59:37

'Needless to say their cancers reversed' - that would be funny if it didn't prey on desperate people.

I don't doubt that lots of people are better off reducing or eliminating dairy - I do however doubt people who make out that vegan, raw diets regularly cure terminal cancer.

Mind, I've only got a BA. Who am I to doubt someone with an MA hmm

And you are entitled to believe what you like too smile

All I know is my kids are far healthier without it than they ever were with it, so no, I don't believe that a substance meant for other animals is good for us.

DontPanicMrMannering Wed 25-Sep-13 08:13:53

I refuse to give credence to a site supported by fuckwits that declare stuff like

"I have met people with past cancers, that were told they would die soon, but instead of having doctors force feed them their pharmaceutical propaganda, they switched to alternative programs, most were switching to all raw organic vegan diets. Needless to say their cancers reversed and they are still alive and kicking!"

Yeah alright then hmm

Tbh, with the dairy industry being one if the biggest world wide, and the fact it sponsors sports and is advertised in every drs surgery/nhs facility I don't think anyone will really ever hear the truth about it. Those that do speak ill of milk will forever be renegade to blogs and obscure websites where no one takes it seriously.

ivykaty44 Wed 25-Sep-13 07:43:00

Jeana to much salt can cause health problems - better to use onion granules or go and read something by a biochemist Colin Cambell or Caldwell Esselstyn a surgeon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now